Random Radio

The latest Music Radio Crossover has been released by AirCheck for Perth & Adelaide: https://radioinfo.com.au/news/aircheck-looks-crossover-tracks-adelaide-and-perth

Key Points

• Mix 94.5 & 96fm has a crossover of nearly 40%, with the former playing far more unique tracks than the latter.

• hit92.9 & Nova 93.7 has a crossover of over 40%, with the former playing far more unique tracks than the latter.

• In Adelaide, hit107 & Nova 91.9 has a crossover of nearly 25%, whilst the crossover between Mix 102.3 & 5MMM is only 13.6%.

2 Likes

Spectrum planning

Let’s begin the list here and provide alternatives.

AM stereo got a mention on WSFM this morning!

It was as part of a mini countdown of songs from 1985, as they mentioned that was the year that AM stereo was launched, followed by the comment “that was big!” with a laugh :grinning:

7 Likes

Strangely low modulation levels on 105.7 SBS Radio Hobart. SBS is averaging 30% deviation, while other stations are averaging close to 100% (percentage of 75khz). The same with Triple J (although not as bad). The Triple J video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qje5jfzEkHU

2 Likes

Strangely low modulation levels on 105.7 SBS Radio Hobart. SBS is averaging 30% deviation, while other stations are averaging close to 100% (percentage of 75khz). The same with Triple J (although not as bad). Triple J video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qje5jfzEkHU

1 Like

The latest AirCheck music radio crossovers for Brisbane & Gold Coast has been released:
https://www.aircheck.net.au/dyk/brisbane-gold-coast-music-crossovers-3/

In Brisbane, hit105 & Nova has a crossover of close to 38%, with the former playing far more unique tracks than the latter, likewise for between hit105 & 97.3, with both stations sharing more than 1/5 of its playlists. 4KQ, being on AM, is the most different of the commercial music stations, which when paired with 4MMM, plays far more unique tracks, and has a crossover of only 9.3%.

In the Gold Coast, Hot Tomato shares around a 1/4 of its playlist with both Gold FM & Sea FM, with the former playing more unique tracks than the local SCA stations.

3 Likes

I’m not surprised about KQ. They’re the only mainstream commercial station in Brisbane I can stomach :).

2 Likes

Went on eBay and actually found The Love Junkie 4! Here’s the logos:
s-l1600%20(2)

Another CD fact, Sea/Hot/Star FM also promoted the 80 from the 80s CD.

3 Likes

Agree with the 25% Aussie quota, but not the new music quota. This is effectively dictating formats, FM stations like WS and Gold104.3 and metro AM music stations would be the hardest hit.

4 Likes

I suspect that bit is poorly written and is actually intended to push CHR/pop stations to playing newer Australian tracks rather than flogging the same 30 or so songs late at night.

That 6am-6pm bit is what excites me most, and in all honesty commercial radio have only themselves to blame for this becoming a conversation about regulation

5 Likes

According to the draft FYSO for 2019-23 released yesterday, the consultation for the potential to re-plan the Perth FM broadcast band is set to occur in the 2nd half of 2019-20 (ie. January-June 2020).

Also, in Q4 2018-19 (April-June 2019), ACMA will publish for consultation an issues paper on future delivery of radio services in Australia. More details on page 46 of the above aforementioned document.

2 Likes

9 Life has a show airing ‘House Hunters International’.

The couple are looking for a home in Perth. They’ve both returned to Perth after working in radio in Iceland.

The female looks like she might be a journo, the bloke seems more IT/engineering. I didn’t catch their names, who are they?

It looks like a lot of those episodes are up on 9now.com.au, perhaps you might be able to find out there?

Synopsis:

Three years after their engagement led them to live in relaxed Exmouth, Australia, Sinead and Paul are packing their bags to move into a settled future in her hometown of Perth.

1 Like

I always enjoy radio when:

• Alan Jones takes a call from Stephanie. I can always visualise Stephanie shouting from a balcony in Munich
  • Triple M plays a song. It takes me back to the early 90s
  • WSFM has an hour when they don’t play “Summer of 69”
  • I listen to Richard Wilkins’ recorded show on smooth. There is a something about seniors trying to put on a sexy voice that I find engaging.
  • I tune into the 2DayFM breakfast show and I try to guess who is hosting the shift that day
  • Ray Hadley is going after an alleged sex offender on air and providing the details of how a person’s life has been destroyed. I know that he is bullying his staff behind the scenes and destroying their lives and this makes his diatribe so gloriously ironic
8 Likes

And when 2SM goes to an ad break that features at least three station-voiced commercials. Two of which are Laws.

4 Likes

A couple of questions re the Darling Downs commercial radio market:

• Why isn’t there a 4GR (Triple M) repeater in Warwick?
  • When did Stanthorpe join the licence area? I assume they had Rebel (Sun FM) first and the others followed once the licence area was extended to the town. When I first visited in 1998, Stanthorpe had no native commercial radio- the best option was a scratchy 2TEN on 89.7.
  • Why isn’t 4AK repeated into anywhere else other than Stanthorpe?

All of these anomalies stem from the fact that three separate heritage stations were amalgamated into one licence area.

1 Like

I agree it’s odd that 4WK gets THREE repeaters but 4GR and 4AK only get one.

I would have thought night fade into Warwick would be an issue for 4GR and 4AK.

3 Likes

4GR (Triple M) isn’t too bad but yes 4AK does suffer from a bit of night fade in Warwick & if I had to make a comment on the signal strength of the stations i’d say it’s around the same as Sydney Am west of Penrith but yes 4GR’s & 4AK’s signal in Warwick would be on par with 4WK’s AM signal in Toowoomba & that has a licenced translator

2 Likes