Random Radio

Any Aussie stations playing either of the Old Town Road versions?

Was meaning to mention this last night, but while at the Sydney Royal Easter Show yesterday I noticed that someone still had a 2DayFM backpack (probably from the Late 1990s or Early 2000s, with the website being on it) with this old logo on it:

2DayFM1990s

As much as I wanted to, I didn’t take a picture of it because that would’ve been weird even by the standards of yours truly!

Has anyone else on Media Spy seen any old radio logos out and about recently? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nova have both versions on rotation, while the Billy Ray remix is getting rotation on the Hit Network (particularly on Urban Hits) and The Edge 96.ONE

1 Like

Here in Coffs there is a “Proudly sponsored by 2CS FM” sign near the local go kart track.

4 Likes

Not recently but about 2 years ago I did see a sticker with the “9inety6ix.1” logo stuck at a place I was working. Circa 1999 and was in very good nick.

Can better that one though, there is a bushfire danger sign on Richmond Rd at Windsor Downs that STILL says to tune to One fm 96.1 for bushfire info, featuring the old logo.

5 Likes

Here’s a Google Street View image of that sign:

I happened to pass through that sign last week. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Spotted on an old building in Yarrawonga VIC opposite Lake Mulwala, an early 90s vintage Sun FM 96.9 Shepparton sign, pic courtesy Google Earth

7 Likes

Do they do bushfire updates today as The Edge? Who would think to listen?

1 Like

Ghost signs for Schweppes Cola and Oasis too- clearly a product of the 90s.

Posted this old billboard in the Ace Radio thread. It’s still there in Yarragon.

6 Likes

ROX FM / STAR FM used to have a billboard on the Pacific Hwy just north of Taree, another example of trying to get listeners to tune in early and no doubt a few Taree listeners too.

I know 2RE / Max wouldn’t have been able to try the same trick near Port Macquarie as their signals don’t really become listenable until you get south of Middle Brother.

2 Likes

Back in the 90s, there used to be billboards for Wave FM & i98 at Princes Highway at Engadine in Sydney’s south, advising listeners travelling south towards the Illawarra to tune in.

Of course these days, one of the reasons why the i98 billboard is not there anymore is due to the fact that the area suffers co-channel interference from ABC Newsradio from Gosford, which broadcasts on the same frequency as i98, thanks to NBN not vacating the VHF-3 frequency when analogue TV was still around.

2 Likes

Not only should 2RE convert to FM but also shift TX site. It was a terrible site to establish the s.39, they should’ve pushed for Middle Brother.

The audio carrier should’ve remained, as it should’ve for all Band II conversions, as a matter of emergency and local information.

Huh? What’s the point of that? There is perfectly adequate emergency broadcasts on other AM/FM services in these areas. Also remember that the audio carriers on Band II were actually offset 0.05 from standard FM allocations. ie. (91.75, 100.75, 107.75).

Not practical at all.

Yes- not really a good use of spectrum. They do this somewhat in the US, though, with 87.7 (Channel 6). Dubbed “Franken FMs”, they may be phased out by the FCC in the coming years.

WIN3 Wollongong’s audio carrier did shift from 91.76 to 91.7 MHz in its last few years of operation, probably to capture commuters wishing to hear WIN news I suspect.

3 Likes

Agree, Mt Ganghat was an odd choice, Middle Brother may have resulted in too much overspill into Port Macquarie being on the northern edge of the Max FM licence area.

Careys Mountain would have been a better choice.

1 Like

Most TV stations use scrolling messages at the bottom of the screen for this anyway so it would have been pretty pointless.

Surely any radio station worth their licence would be live on-air (or at the very least, providing regular updates) during emergencies?

Regional TV stations are worse than their radio equivalents when it comes to local content & emergency broadcasts, I think.

Carey’s Peak, in the Barrington Tops, would have been even better :smiley:.

Putting an ABC tx right up on the Barrington Tops wouldn’t have been the worst idea- you could cover most parts of the Hunter Valley and Lower MNC from there. Access isn’t a problem so long as you’re near the Scone-Gloucester road.

1 Like

They have separate local breakfast programs, so wouldn’t have worked.

And you’d still need a TX for Newcastle and Port Macquarie.

1 Like