Random Radio

As I predicted last week, it’s Sydney turn to have their music crossovers on radio stations analysed: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/sydney-radio-crossovers

Pair-Ups:

• 2Day vs Nova
  • KIIS vs 2Day
  • Smooth vs WSFM
  • 2MMM vs KIIS

It’s interesting to compare the Smooth vs WS with Smooth vs Gold 104.3 in Melbourne, in which there’s a slightly bigger crossover between the two stations in Sydney than in Melbourne with Gold, as well as WS having a lower percentage of unique tracks. This further proves my point that WS sounds more closer to Smooth than Gold is.

It also proves how narrow Nova’s playlist is compared to 2Day, with the former playing more songs that are also heard on 2Day than not.

3 Likes

I agree with you for the most part. That being said, there are still some regional commercial stations that are worth listening to such as Rebel, Breeze, River, Zinc, 2GN/2XL/3GG & 2CA.

In the Central Coast & Wollongong, you would be better off listening to the Sydney stations if you want to listen to a commercial station that isn’t “Top 40-heavy”.

2 Likes

Plus, one of my favorites - Spirit Radio Network in WA :smile:

My weekday drive time habits have been the same for three years:
5pm: PM on Radio National
5.30pm: ABC 702

Now that it’s summer I have ditched the ABC. I now tune to KIIS for “Non-Stop Hits” at 5pm. There is nothing better than driving on a hot summer afternoon and listening to music.

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter if it’s summer or winter for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nor should it. You live in Brisbane after all.

4 Likes

With the 3rd Ashes Test starting tomorrow at 1pm,I’ll have to change from Triple M or turn off my radio.I have to be in the mood to listen to cricket😕

5 Likes

For me to listen to cricket I would need to be lacking a pulse.

2 Likes

FOX FM and former Nova 100 announcer Sarah-Maree Cameron has been appointed breakfast co-host on KRock Geelong with Tom Lewis.

https://radioinfo.com.au/news/new-breakfast-co-host-k-rock-geelong

2 Likes

Forget fresh hits. Forget pure gold. Forget RnB. Forget best rock. Forget an easy place to relax. Forget easy hits. Forget classic rock. Forget classic hits. Forget best music mix. Forget better music and more of it. Forget old school.

Can someone in Sydney please start up a dance music station?

You know the deal - the best new dance with the best dance from the last decade:

• Tilt My Hat by Andy J
  • Release Me by Agnes
  • Ain’t Nothing But a Heartache by Freemasons

4 million people. 6 commercial FM stations. No dedicated dance music station.

Dance music is contagious and it would really wake this city up.

3 Likes

There is a narrowcast…

RAW FM

Though not available in all areas of Sydney.

2 Likes

Radiohead - could you please give us more information on narrowcasting?

Usually broadcasts on 87.6, 87.8 or 88.0

Low power - usually limited to 1 watt.

Has to serve a niche

https://www.acma.gov.au/Home/Industry/Spectrum/Radiocomms-licensing/Apparatus-licences/low-power-open-narrowcasting-lpon

1 Like

Gorilla Super Digi does it for me.

2 Likes

Good music but Gorilla has a dreadful sound…

2 Likes

Great. I have Raw on my phone now. And I am finding it hard to stand still (although they could drop some of the electronic music).

Right now they are playing Toby Neal - Do You Really Want My Love?

I am in love.

I feel like I should be in the Vortex at Arq.

That’s good.

I am surprised you didn’t know about RAW FM.

Never heard of these. Too niche.

1 Like

Release Me was huge on Top 40 Radio grandpa.

2 Likes

I’ve heard it but if I have to look it up to remember it, then I’m sure the wider population will have no idea who that is. #26 in Australia is hardly a huge hit. That’s why I say it would be niche. I’m not knocking the idea of a Dance station but the playlistn has to be more mainstream.

Stop trolling me, boxhead.