Random Radio

i have a digital bedside radio and the last time i turned it on to listen to it was when my net went down. it sits right next to a google home which i use to stream radio. in the car i listen to DAB (but this is declining now as well with apple music on my iphone)

the radio will be back on tomorrow for the test match (about the only time i actully do listen)

No excuse, however could be due to his illness? Would be on a lot of medication, so perhaps judgment is affected.

Thursday and Friday this week I was listening to Triple M at work when I discovered they were broadcasting the First Ashes test Aus vs England👎not happy.If I ever do listen to cricket coverage on radio (sometimes I do in the car) I will only listen to ABC .

3 Likes

Does normal music and drive programming continue on DAB+ for MMM ?

Cricket was on DAB+ in Melbourne.

1 Like

Leave sports coverage on AM radio only,cricket or footy,etc,it doesn’t belong on commercial FM radio :-1:

5 Likes

Southern Cross Austereo has launched a news service for Google Home. The bulletins will be updated several times during the day and are announced by various journalists on the SCA news team.

This week’s AirCheck Music Crossovers focus on Adelaide & Perth:
https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/adelaide-and-perth-radio-crossover-tracks

Pair-Ups:

• hit107 vs Nova 91.9
  • Mix 102.3 vs 5MMM
  • hit92.9 vs Nova 93.7
  • 96fm vs hit92.9
  • Nova 93.7 vs Mix 94.5

The bottom two is a strange pair-up. I would’ve preferred to see Mix 94.5 vs 96fm myself, which would’ve made more sense.

I think it would be Sydney’s turn next week, given that Melbourne, Brisbane/Gold Coast & Adelaide/Perth had theirs already.

Yes, and Nova vs Hit

In relation to @Laoma 's post here Digital Radio and @webguy 's reply, It seems that the rules regarding power levels were different under the ABA in the early/mid 2000s.

I say this as I recall Rhema FM Newcastle went on a fundraising drive to upgrade their transmitter facilities as they stated that they could lose their licence because they weren’t transmitting at the required power level.

Can totally understand community stations unable to broadcast at the required power. Needing to raise funds.

Does a commercial station have control what power the transmitter can broadcast at? Or could they lose thier licence if they decide to lower the power too much. Similarly are their standards on the quailty of the sound. Not being too compressed etc.

I understand some regional commercial station dont maintain their equipment enough resulting in poorer coverage. Like the super radio network?
Not sure how it works in the city. It seems the outsource their maintenance to broadcast Australia.

Logic would say all commercials should broadcast at the best quailty but its not always the case.

1 Like

Seems right for the AM sticks which have lost coverage in rural areas where is no increase of RFI.

FM however for Bill seem to boom often further than specs.

1 Like

C91.3 Campbelltown just did a plug for Maserati, "“available from $149,990 - visit their showrooms at Waterloo or Artarmon” (also well outside their licence area)…

Given that region has some of the lowest incomes and house prices in all of Sydney, that seemed to be a peculiar piece of advertising.

6 Likes

Aiming for the nouveau riche in the area, I take it ?:joy:

2 Likes

Listening to Sydney radio overnight and have to say that Nova96.9 had the better choice of music over the others. Artists like Jarryd James (Do You Remember) and Sigma (Nobody To Love). These are the “variety of old school” songs which I think Nova needs to play across the day as well. Credit to The Edge for keeping the party going well beyond the other stations who wrapped up their Friday night party playlists to return to normal. KIIS reminds me of 2DayFM pre-K&J departure with their dance music on Friday nights. It’s a shame Nova doesn’t push its weekend dance programming anymore. Theirs used to be for the more serious dance lovers.

On the AM dial it was a battle between 2GB/TL/2SM for entertaining talk. I found I was listening longer to 2SM overnight as my mind couldn’t handle Govt. bashing and talking about taking care of your cats at that time of the morning. It’s good that Sydney AM radio still has an unrestricted talkback station.

No pre-roll adverts on Radioapp today! :star_struck:

And Newcastle. Isn’t Gary overnight in Newcastle?

1 Like

I agree with you on this. It makes some regional commercial radio stations that are not owned by SCA a bit more interesting.

Going down the Hume to Melbourne earlier this year on the way to Tassie made me think of what regional commercial radio along the way used to be when I first went to VIC (based in Ballarat) back in December 2003/January 2004. In those days, DMG owned regional stations in Young (now owned by BOG), Wagga, Albury & Bendigo, which all shared the same music logs. Star FM was a good listen with its mix of music from the 80s to Today (now covered by the heritage station), whilst its Heritage stations (2LF, 2WG, 2AY & 3BO) had the “Best Songs of All Time” format from the 60s to Today.
Albury & Shepparton had stations that were owned by RG Capital, with The River in the former market having an AC format covering the 70s to Today, whilst over in the latter market, 3SR had a Classic Hits format, whilst Sun FM had a pop/rock format. Of course, in between those two markets, there’s 3NE & Edge in Wangaratta, which were independently-owned.

A little over 13 years later in 2017, all of the commercial stations are mostly owned by SCA, with the Wagga, Albury, Shepparton & Bendigo stations all carrying the same branding of Triple M & Hit with the same music logs (of those Triple M stations mentioned, only Wagga has a Classic Hits format, whilst the others have the “Greatest Hits from the 70s to Now” format), whilst 2AY, 3NE & Edge are now owned by ACE.
It was quite a relieve when I started to receive Melbourne radio past Seymour & likewise on the way back, when I started to receive Canberra radio near Yass. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

There is nothing wrong with having one brand across a network of stations… there is also nothing wrong with having a variety of names for a network of stations.

The difference with the two is HOW it is executed.

BOG are a network however don’t treat the sound of their stations as a network. You either commit to unifying stations or you do not.

At the moment you don’t know what you’ll get when you listen to a Super Network Station. It depends where you’re listening that will determine the quality.

At least SCA have a consistent sound across the board.

4 Likes

Again, the audience wouldn’t be arriving in a market and knowing that it is a Super Network station. Audience with things on their mind other than radio would not have any knowledge of it, nor do they need to.

Also, most audience are not travellers encountering this, you need the locals in the town won over to your station. If you provide that with a semblance of independent branding and they like it, then good.

Quality would necessarily improve with networking, requires leadership, focus on the elements that need improving and so on. They might have other priorities in that market or simply not be up to using that station to its potential. Again each to their own, if they wish to run it that way and it keeps people employed, so be it.

1 Like