Random Radio

Something odd seems to be going down at the Australian Traffic Network

1 Like

That account he links to really needs to update its description - it lists 3 stations that have changed their names.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had to work the last 3 out of the last 4 Saturdays ,yes we have been very busy lately.We have more freedom with what we can listen to on a Saturday Iā€™ve been bringing my Bluetooth speaker or my Apple EarPods and listening to my own tunes from my iPhone ,some of my workmates use their earbuds too.All the commercial FM stations have WAY too much chit-chat on Saturday mornings and it p****ses me off.The only good part of having to give up part of my weekend is the freedom to listen to wherever I want plus the extra money too of coursešŸ˜Š

2 Likes

so true

thats the main reason i got digital in my car. i donā€™t care about ā€œpersonalitiesā€ or what funny thing happened to you last night. just give me music

Usually on Saturdays thereā€™s a rehash of that weeks breakfast show or like on Triple M some sports talk programme

I listen to 100% DAB now in the car and at home because I canā€™t stand the crap the announcers sprout. I just want music with a little bit of intelligent commentary, a brief news and weather update - like FM used to be.
The only presenter who talks who Iā€™m remotely interested in is Alice Cooper.

4 Likes

You mean you donā€™t like Danny Hoyland on River 949? 6 - 9am Qld, 7 - 10am mostly elsewhere, this is a ā€˜uniqueā€™ show with a ā€˜specialā€™ style of presentation from Hoyland, who despite his ā€˜specialā€™ style, is an industry survivor.

1 Like

Interesting observation at 11am today. Every station I flicked thru here in Brisbane observed a minutes silence except for ABC News on Radio, Triple J and 4TAB :rage:.

The following songs played after the minutes silence which I found interesting:

Wash Me Clean - Bernard Fanning (Nova)
See You Again - Sam Smith (B105)
When The War Is Over - Cold Chisel (MMM)
100% Pure Love - Crystal Waters (973 - back to normal playlist Iā€™d say)
Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits (River949 and 92.7 Mix FM)
These Days - Powderfinger (919 Sea FM and Hot 91)

612 ABC, RN, 4KQ, Talking Lifestyle and 4BC went to the news straight after.

3 Likes

No reason why the latter two couldnā€™t have, given that Triple J runs on delay and 4TAB is live (I presume), but did ABC News run the minutes silence at 11am AEDT (10am QLD time)?

1 Like

Imagine that you are given a new commercial FM licence in Sydney or Melbourne. What would you call your station and what music would it feature? Most importantly what are the first six songs you would play?

You need to compete with the six commercial FM stations and Triple J.

Your frequency is 92.1 and you aim to carve out a 4% rating.

I would have two choices. My first would be a dance-orientated station. Featuring dance tracks from the 90s onwards - including mixes of The Freemasons and groups like the Sneaky Sound System (Picture etc). It would also include the current 15 - 20 songs on the top 40 that could be considered dance. There would be no rock or rap. I would hope to attract listeners from JJJ, Nova, KIIS and 2DayFM.

But I think I am more likely to get a 4% share with a 80s skewed station. It would be called ā€œX92 - All 80s. Nothing Else."

My first six songs:
The Sports ā€“ Who Listens to the Radio?
Peaches ā€“ Substitute
Time Bandits ā€“ I Am Only Shooting love
Mondo Rock ā€“ Cool World
Sheena Easton ā€“ Nine to Five
Work ā€“ Uncanny X Men

(I know they are not always strictly from the 80sā€¦ā€¦)

These are not my favourite songs but they rarely get airplay on Sydney radio and I need a bit of the ā€œwow factorā€ if I am to compete in an overcrowded market. My aim is to capture the 35 ā€“ 55 year olds away from WS, smooth and KIIS.

What would other mediaspyers do?

3 Likes

Something that Sounds Different, anyway. :wink:

A station resembling the variety that Nova launched with should, at least in my mind, get 4% of dissenting triple j, Nova and KIIS listeners. Thereā€™d be some overlap too with 2MMM, and probably the two or three people listening to 2DayFM might jump over as well.

2 Likes

I would listen to that! Or alternately give a station like Raw FM in Sydney the licence.

As a side note for those that like EDM Iā€™m enjoying an iHeartRadio station called Club Jam EDM and to a lessor extent another called Club Jam Dance. They appear to be a HD-2 stations from iHeartRadio in the States.

1 Like

if i was in sydney iā€™d go contemporary christian, teaming up with hillsong, using there brand (and yes i know they have a community christian station)

the station would play only christian music, no news simulcasts. would have an unbiased news on the hour. during the day it would play contemporary christian (artists like Colton Dixon, Jordan Feliz and Tauren Wells) shifting over in the evenings to worship (hillsong, Planetshakers, chris tomlin) for the night time wind down.

the station would have no pledge drives and minimal preaching during the week - short segments would be inserted - no more than 5 mins but the priority would be music.

saturday night would be all request, playing eveything from Meltdown (at Madame Tussaudā€™s) from 1984 to the latest christian hits.

sunday mornigs would be praise and worship, going into a recording of a sermon from hillsong.

3 Likes

Hmm interesting question. Maybe something like Absolute Radio or Radio X from the UK. Triple M wouldnā€™t be able to compete with these music orientated rock/alternative stations because they are only a part-time music station. If done well it would take listeners from JJJ, Triple M and even WSFM. Failing that Iā€™d try a BBC2 format. I know some think Vega tried that but they didnā€™t really - at least not well. The music was too random and the talk was too heavy and just wasnā€™t done well like BBC2. BBC2 comes across as light and entertaining with mostly mainstream but a little adventurous with the music.

3 Likes

Brian68 - I never thought to introduce a rock station but then I forgot that Triple M is a sport / rock / talk station. You are right a total rock format would hurt MMM, WS and JJJ. It would actually ā€œrockā€ Triple M to its core!

With some modern rock throw in it could also gain a few listeners from the hit stations.

2 Likes

The latest Melbourne Music Crossovers has been released by AirCheck: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/melbourne-music-crossovers

The biggest music crossover is between Fox & KIIS, followed by between Fox & Nova, with Fox playing more unique tracks than its rivals on both comparisons. Gold 104.3 plays far more unique tracks than Smooth when compared between the two, but its music crossover is small at just under 15%.

Lately at work Iā€™ve been listening to Triple M every day because my co-worker closest to me listens to them .I have no issues with the music they play during a week day lots of old songs that I can sing along to.Theres too much flogging of certain songs though but they are playing more old rock hits from the 70s . :+1:

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty much the same. Apart from a bit of ABC Radio Sydney (702), I hardly listen to much of the radio, even when travelling around Sydney. Even the Central Coast & Wollongong commercial stations, including C91.3 Campbelltown, donā€™t really cut it as alternatives to me these days, whereas around a decade or more ago, I would tune to them from time to time.

If I was living in SEQ (Brisbane/Gold Coast), I would still listen to plenty of radio, thanks to the presence of Rebel, Breeze, River, 4KQ & Bridge FM. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I visit the Gold Coast every January I always listen to Hot Tomato. It is 100% Gold Coast and it is an important part of my holidays.

I listen to KIIS in Sydney between 10am - midday so I can hear what new music to download. I donā€™t listen to Nova as Greg Burns is so not Sydney. I donā€™t choose 2DayFM as itā€™s too R&B - especially on a Fridayā€¦

At breakfast I listen to 702. So local. So good. If I need a laugh at breakfast I tune to KIIS, 2GB or 2SM.

in other news Grant Goldman (2SM breakfast) should really set his Facebook page to private. Itā€™s borderline hate speech against muslims. This includes fake news reports from a news outlet that claims the UK is soon going to be an Islamic nation because of immigration.

Mind you Grant is the king of fake news. He was claiming months after the US election that Trump also won the popular vote. Cuckoo.

1 Like

This weekā€™s AirCheck Music Crossovers focus on Brisbane & the Gold Coast: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/brisbane-and-gold-coast-music-crossovers

It includes:

• Nova 106.9 vs hit105
  • 97.3FM vs 4MMM
  • 4MMM vs 4KQ
  • Hot Tomato vs Sea FM
2 Likes