Random Radio

Currently, I’m getting a strong stereo signal of dead air on 107.9FM here in Sydney.

Presumably, AFTRS will again be doing it’s temporary “Show Radio” broadcasting on that frequency for two weeks from Thursday (or maybe Wednesday, depending on whether they do “test programing” the day before like they have in previous years).

UPDATE 15/3: Show Radio is doing it’s “test programing” today and (presumably) tomorrow before the full launch on Thursday! :slightly_smiling:

Geez, is it that time again? With summer still going strong in Sydney, it doesn’t feel like Easter at all. We might have to hide the eggs in the fridge this year ;).

Getting back on topic, I find that Lithgow still dominates the frequency at home, with Show Radio only received in the nulls on the Tecsun. Show Radio probably uses vertical polarisation.

1 Like

Quick Survey; What commercial radio stations do you never listen to (on a weekly basis) in the city you live in?

Me: I live in Sydney and never listen to Triple M, 2SM and 2CH.

I’m in Brisbane, I never listen to Nova 106.9 , Hit 105.or Magic (Tragic )882.I can only listen to 97.3 for about 2-3 hours these days before their very limited playlist has me changing to Triple M or River 94.9

I live in Sydney…although I’m pretty sure everyone knows that! :wink:

Unless there’s a major relaunch or something else particularly interesting (like that SCA Melbourne outage a few weeks back which forced 2DayFM and the rest of the network onto alternative programing for the 1st hour of drive) happening, I generally never listen to Triple M, Nova 96.9, 2DayFM, KIIS 106.5 or 2SM for the most part.

In Melbourne - never Tragic, AW, SEN and smoothfm. Rarely Fox, Nova and 3MP, mostly KIIS (and occasionally Triple M)

1 Like

It would be easier to list the stations that I do listen to: Smooth, Triple M and 2CH occasionally. The rest are about as unappealing as a Four N’ Twenty Stuffed Crust pizza.

2 Likes

Never listen to Krock, Bay, 3AW, Magic, SEN and smooth. Very rarely listen to Gold or 3MP - like once a month for a few minutes at most - but they both at least justify a preset.

1 Like

Here in Brisbane and never listen to B105, 973, Tragic 882 and 4BC. Oh and Radio TAB if you wanna be technical.

1 Like

Yeah, I should’ve added Sky Sports Radio as a commercial station that I never listen to in Sydney! :stuck_out_tongue:

I never listen to 4BC either, too many ads,if i want to hear talkback radio i only listen to 612 ABC

1 Like

Yep ABC 612 is the only decent talkback station to listen to.

I agree that 702 ABC is the only decent talkback station to listen to in Sydney, as it’s more ‘down-to-earth’ compared to 2GB, 2UE & 2SM, which by the way are one of the many commercial radio stations in Sydney that I never listen to on a weekly basis. In fact, of the talk stations, 702 is generally more local (at least in the context of NSW) than 2GB, as most of its programming on the latter station is also relayed to 4BC & regional stations across NSW, QLD & even VIC (particularly via the ACE stations).

On a sidenote, I also listen to 97.3 ABC Illawarra from Wollongong occasionally, particularly on weekday mornings when they have local programming.

1 Like

The problem I hate with commercial talkback is that everything has advertising. Even down to the weather reports. Whilst I understand thats their source of income, it is very very annoying.

1 Like

It would be great if 702 were to one day overtake 2GB in the ratings, but I certainly can’t see that happening for as long as Alan Jones and Ray Hadley (who I personally think are quite terrible “broadcasters” to say the very least) are still on 2GB and while the pensioners of Western Sydney are still listening to the station.

As for the sponsorship of things like weather reports on commercial talkback radio, couldn’t you say the same thing about commercial TV news and it’s sponsorship of the sport or weather? Just a thought.

I find it more intrusive on radio

1 Like

2dayfm, kiis fm, nova, wsfm, sky radio. Not as much of gb of late but dont mind the tech show on sunday. I confess I do listen to 2sm a bit.

I have to admit I don’t listen to any of my 4 local commercial stations here in Newcastle much at all.

Where I am, I get a lot of good signals from Central Coast and Sydney and usually find myself skimming past the locals.

I am a terrible dial twiddler and I rarely find myself listening to the same station for anything more than 5-10 minutes at a time. If I don’t like a song, I just move along.

I think I would hate to be a passenger in my car… “JUST PICK A STATION, RADIOHEAD!!!”

4 Likes

With Good Friday just around the corner, I wonder what the various horse racing radio stations around the country will be airing as filler programing on one of the two days of the year when there’s no race meetings.

If last year was anything to go by, my guess is that there’s a very good chance of Sky Sports Radio here in Sydney just running some international races followed by their usual simulcast of the Sky Racing 1 Pay TV channel again.

4TAB always seems to go for pop music … rekindles memories of the old Radio/Stereo 10 and 4IP for some (I don’t think they are on AM stereo anymore though).

1 Like