Random Radio

An interesting article by Brad Smart about the future of AM radio & how Australia could learn from what is happening in the US about it: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/guest-writers/guest-content/8872-life-after-death-the-future-of-am-radio.html

Interesting that there’s a proposal about the commercial AM stations in regional markets converting to FM, which would apply to broadcasters that own 2 stations in a market.
For example, I could see 6MM in Mandurah & RadioWest in Bunbury converting to FM in the near future, which would especially benefit the former, as it would better compete with Perth’s commercial FM stations, which can be heard into the market quite well.
As for 2ST in Nowra, I could see their 91.7 service, which currently transmits from Huskisson at a maximum ERP of 1kW, move to Knights Hill, which would have a maximum ERP of 50kW, same as Power FM. With 91.7 in Knights Hill, the 106.7 Ulladulla translator service would be shut down, whilst the 102.9 Bowral translator would remain in service, due to having different local programming that is specific for the Southern Highlands. The above scenario would mean that 2ST would have much better fortuitous coverage into the Wollongong market than at present, which could potentially erode Wave FM’s audience further, particularly in the older demographics, despite the fact that both 2ST & Wave FM are owned by Grant. Then again, Wave FM is musically more closer to Power FM than 2ST these days.

If only 2CA in Canberra (or even 2CH in Sydney could convert to FM). It’d really shake the market up and the listener would probably be the biggest winner.

On another note I still miss the big AM sound of 2SM in the 80s. It is only a very distant memory but that was one very thick sound! It is such a comparison to the pathetic reception of 2SM today. You would think Bill would try to listen to his station and that it would dawn on him that the transmitter has probably partially fallen down.

Thing is, Brad’s not telling the entire story of the US AM stations, & the US issue that’s killing the AM stations isn’t happening here.

In the US the FCC have screwed the AM stations right down.

HD Radio’s digital part interferes with the AM analogue part of the hybrid signal, thus essentially killing off AM because people can’t listen. Many stations have turned off the digital HD Radio signals.

Another problem is, that in the US, AM stations are packed in, not only in adjacent markets, but also within each market, therefore they all (or most) have day night switching, to restrict interference, especially via night skip/skywave propagation & the night time powers are so low & restricted, that in many places you can’t receive the station at night, if you’re further than 15 - 20 km out from the transmitter site.
The daytime power levels are also low in many cases & suffer not getting high enough above the background noise floor (similar to here).
Yes there area still some of the big powerful “Clear Channel” stations (not Clear Channel the company, but clear channels, high power big distances between stations on the same frequency, essentially channels clear from interference), but they’re mostly at the lower end frequencies & in/around the state capital cities.

Another problem in the US is, that because of the use of HD Radio, the useable audio bandwidth of the signal for AM analogue is so narrow the AM stations sound like crap. 5kHz audio is pretty much the limit, most AM audio is only around 3kHz in the US, & because of this, most new receivers are also limited to this level.

If you’ve bought a cheap AM radio here in the last 10 years or so, you’ll probably find it sounds pretty ordinary, that’s because they’re made & limited to this narrow bandwidth, if you listen on a good wide-band AM receiver, the same station would sound much better. End result AM sounds crap so people don’t listen.

That’s why the US stations are wanting lots of low power FM translators. To give them better sound, but also to increase their service area (especially nighttime).

There’s quite a few of the regional/smaller stations who play music in the US, have turned off HD Radio, widened the audio bandwidth & re introduced AM Stereo, the power restrictions are still killing them though.

Ultimately if you can’t get a signal out that people can listen to, then you can’t make any money off advertising sales, so the only option is to turn off the transmitter & go dark, which unfortunately a lot of stations are now opting to do.

The US proposal is many very low power FM translators (much like our narrowcasting) where each one only reaches 10km’s or less, what Brad is proposing can’t really work here, our FM spectrum is too crowded in most places as it is to fit many more high power services in.

Also where is this “proposal afoot to convert all AM station to FM” that he speaks about? First I’ve heard of it & I haven’t seen any plans about it in ACMA’s future spectrum use plans.

As much as I’d like it to happen, I think that we’re very unlikely to see AM music stations convert to FM anytime soon.

Unfortunately, the FM band is pretty much full in markets like Canberra and Sydney. If the likes of 2CA and 2CH wanted to convert to FM, they probably should’ve done it 15-20 years ago when there were still a few more spare frequencies.

1 Like

Very interesting post RFBurns.

What is the future of radio in 50 to 100 years time? All internet streaming?

A large chunk of the FM is taken up by community radio. With YouTube/podcasts around and internet radio do we need amauters to start using community radio, whilst some commercial am stations are struggling? I wonder how many mainstream people in Sydney listen to local community radio and would miss it went away tomorrow esp in the cities. Should we free up the spectrum to convert all govt and commercial from AM to FM? Or is it too little too late.

Dab has an unclear future too, with a lack of bandwidth to cover every station the quality is basically worse than FM. The dab technology does not cover low power stations.

I suppose like all business, I guess a vision is needed to adapt to the future as in general globally terrestrial radio is on the decline. It is difficult to implement a vision when the key people are comfortable living in the past.

But maybe its difficult to develop a vision, its a case investors may start to leave radio in the medium to long term and radio stations will die a slow death naturally in the next 50 to 100 years.

I am hopeful a move to DVB-T2 for TV will open up more VHF frequencies for DAB+ radio. But that could be 10 years away…

1 Like

[quote=“TV-Expert, post:101, topic:263”]
As for 2ST in Nowra, I could see their 91.7 service, which currently transmits from Huskisson at a maximum ERP of 1kW, move to Knights Hill, which would have a maximum ERP of 50kW, same as Power FM. The above scenario would mean that 2ST would have much better fortuitous coverage into the Wollongong market than at present.[/quote]

The fortuitous reception would go far beyond Wollongong. Sydney (for those with good radios) would easily get 2ST on both 91.7 and 102.9 in that scenario, as 94.9 comes in quite well, though in more recent years, suffers from co-channeling from the Central Coast’s Rhema FM. I wish the ACMA would fix the Central Coast/Illawarra co-channels, now that NBN-3 and WIN-3 are gone.

1 Like

Hear Hear!!

It’s a joke really… Much of the co-channeling would be gone by moving Today’s Country 94.1, Rhema 94.9, Coast FM 96.3, 2CHR 96.5, Lake Macquarie FM 97.3, 98.1 News Radio (and possibly Power Muswellbrook as well).

There is room in the old VHF 3 space on FM to accommodate these without causing grief to existing broadcasters in that spectrum.

www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/04/29/optus-offers-data-free-music-streaming

I think if telcos start to all provide free data streaming for radio this will not help the success of dab radio.

Maybe dab should go statewide and stream metro radio into the country areas. Having these fake licence areas are not relevant anymore.

It MIGHT get people listening to streams of the digital stations online without having to buy a DAB+ radio.

Be interesting how this product sells.

I managed to record this prank call, which aired on i98fm around 3.48pm. As i’m sure you do as well, I feel sorry for Maje. It must of been really hard for him not to say anything nastier or personally insult him.

1 Like

Why did he air it if that was the case.

Sounds like a poor setup.

In the last few days some gem of a person has posted the series “2SM Celebration of a Station” that was broadcast in 1988. These went to air in the few days before the once-mighty 2SM became Lite’N’Boring 1269.

1988 was the bicentenary and the name of the series was a play on the “Celebration of a Nation” that the federal government was promoting.

There are 25 clips of this series on youtube. Thank goodness it was not lost. There was only one SM.

2 Likes

I love the of the jingles from 2SM in the 80s that are in this audio. At the end of 22 of 25 is an all time gem from when Stereo AM was introduced in 1984.

“Rock of the 80s - Stereo 2SM”

Such a strong jingle. Very powerful. The only music station to use jingles now is smooth. Such a pity. Jingles do tend to get into your brain and are more effective (noticeable) than a voiceover. And the jingle can me made to match the mood / vibe of the station. Music stations should have music jingles. Discuss.

I miss jingles. Especially the bold 8 second clips of strong music that really pump through the speakers.

2 Likes

I suspect that the main reason for the general demise of jingles as radio Station IDs in recent years (although the same can probably be said about the demise of jingles in general advertising as well) is because the branding/marketing gurus out there think they sound too cheesy and or outdated for this day and age. Both that and/or the fact it’s easier/cheaper for stations to make professional sounding IDs and sweepers out of the music played on the station, some sound effects and voiceovers.

Of course, I agree that jingles make for much more effective and memorable Station IDs than just a voiceover and some sound effects.

I agree that some jingles sound dreadfully cheesy. But some are brilliant. Music is so powerful.

Most advertising on TV and radio use music. It’s a pity that most music stations don’t use music to promote themselves.

But - you are right - it is so much cheaper to use a voiceover. It costs virtually nothing.

1 Like

I cannot believe Smooth are still running the same jingles since their launch.

3 Likes

Considering that Smooth is probably the most successful format that 95.3 Sydney and 91.5 Melbourne have ever had, why would they fix anything (including the station branding) if it’s not broken?

For what it’s worth, I think that Smooth’s launch/current jingles and station branding suits the station quite well.

The announcement of the demise of radio jingles is a bit premature :grinning: - virtually every station in the US and may other OS stations use jingles as part of their on air presentation. It is just Australian stations that are too stingy to use them.

3 Likes