Random Radio

I was listening to 2ST whilst down in the Shoalhaven earlier this afternoon and the station aired an ident which went along the lines of, “2ST’s Top-20 retro countdown. Playing classic hits that were great moments in history”. The song that came on immediately after the ident was…“Can’t Touch This” by MC Hammer. Talk about massive irony… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That is the “20-20 Retro Countdown” program, which airs on Grant’s adult music stations, including 2ST, 2EC, 2NM, Bay 93.9, 3BA, Gold Central Victoria, River 1467, River 94.9, Zinc 96, 4BU, 4CC, 4RO, 4MK, 4CA, 7HO, LAFM, 7AD, 7BU, 7SD, 7XS, 5MU, 5RM, 5CS, 5AU & 5CC.

Despite being skewing towards a more adult audience compared to its local higher-rating rival, Wave FM doesn’t take the program because the station is more in line with its CHR/Hot AC stations such as Power FM, and apparently doesn’t want to spend an hour where they don’t play a new track, hence why their “Flashback Lunch” was dropped late last year.

2 Likes

I have spent a week up in Mudgee and have been listening to Real Fm. They have a great mix of rock and pop music from the 80’s to Now and their no repeat workday. This how regional Hot Contemporary/ CHR radio stations should sound. SCA regional Hit Music stations and ACE CHR stations need to have a listen to these type of country radio stations as they only seem to cater for the bigger city’s with 4 or more radio stations.

2 Likes

A fake car radio screen seen in a US TV show - complete with even numbered frequency and fake pre-set frequencies :slight_smile:

Not sure why they seem to go to this trouble.

1 Like

I think American spec radios will only tune to ODD numbered frequencies ie.those ending in .1, .3, .5, .7 and .9.

An Insignia HD Radio that I bought in Hawaii last year does this and Jeremy Clarkson made the same complaint about a US Ford Mustang on “Top Gear” and demonstrated this by tuning the radio from 94.1 to 94.3 and 94.5 (since they use the even numbered frequencies in the UK).

AND I’ve never seen a radio be able to tune to 109.3.

So there’s a couple of “movie mistakes” they’ve made.

1 Like

It’s all just made up, so no one get free advertising, & no one can complain they were left out, or were put on a lower preset than anyone else.

WYHN doesn’t exist either, there’s a WHYN station in the US though.

If a station paid for product placement in the TV show/movie, then their details would be real on the radio display.

It depends where this was set, 97.9, 103.7 & 105.5 are real station frequencies, & they may have paid to be listed?
They wouldn’t be in the same area, but maybe in adjoining or close areas frequently traveled between like Los Angeles & San Diego? 2 are an LA frequency & 1 is a SD frequency.

JBL, HD)Radio & Sirius XM Radio made have paid product placement, so it’d be a real radio receiver & the Blue part of the screen would just be a fake CGI overlay.

This is done deliberately, from my understanding

1 Like

Yes - I think so as it seems to happen a lot. Seems to be along the same line of 555 telephone numbers.

1 Like

Ficticious radio stations with FM frequencies ending with even numbers are common in US movies and TV for example in the movie “Daddy’s Home” the radio station is 103.6 The Panda:

1 Like

This is also present in the Grand Theft Auto games: King 130.7, Flashback 95.6, Jazz Nation Radio 108.5, The Vibe 98.8, K109 The Studio, Space 103.2. Some odd frequencies are also used, however. Rockstar North, the developer for most of the GTA series, originated from the UK where of course some of these frequencies are valid.

@ 1:05 a sting for a fictional station called 952 KZOO plays.

Dunno if it was intentional or not, but 952 is certainly not possible under the North American 10KHz spacing plan. The production team of Brass Eye were usually extremely meticulous with the audiovisual detail in these satirical pieces to make them look as legit as possible.

2 Likes

Maybe 952 refers to 95.2 on FM?

1 Like

Just watched an episode of Wentworth and spotted this:

3 Likes

Looks very inspired by the logo of a certain Sydney radio station! :wink:

Today is Melbourne Cup eve but is a working day, so why did many breakfast and morning regulars take the day off? Fox, Nova and KIIS all just played songs at breakfast while Nine News Melbourne colleagues Alicia Loxley and Tony Jones hosted mornings on ABC 774 and 3AW respectively.

And nights hosts Tom & Olly covered breakfast at Triple M

Probably the same reason that most workplaces in Melbourne were half empty. It’s become a de facto long weekend

2 Likes

speaking of fictional radio call-signs as per earlier in this thread… of course we can’t forget 23FM

1 Like

Another from Wentworth

1 Like

I know the Sydney Kings have made some silly moves this year, but who decided that Mel Grieg was a radio personality that had to be showcased to the crowd on the big screen at the game on Sunday? All I know her for was making a stupid phone call to the UK that led to a nurse committing suicide.

If she is a radio personality, then I’m having a threesome with Jennifer Lawrence and Gal Gadot. :rofl:

5 Likes