Random Radio

It’s probably just a reflection of what’s on the charts, but I note a recent trend of country songs (e.g. Body Like a Back Road) and Spanish songs (e.g. Despacito) appearing on stations like Nova and Hit, whereas in years past, such genres were practically non-existent.

Is there a list by ACMA of radio transmitters that just come online? Or that are planned to go live soon?

I thought I’d compare the play count of the top 50 most played tracks (averaged over three stations; using 6 days of data) on Hit, Nova and KIIS:

The counts might be slightly inaccurate as different stations list the song titles different; I’ve tried to make them all the same for all three stations so that they sum up properly.

3 Likes

The only way I can think of how to get this is to:

(1) Download the Excel version of the ACMA transmitter listing and filter the results based on those with the highest (most recent) Licence/Transmitter IDs.

(2) Based on listings in older Licence Area Plans. Some of these have been allocated for years but are still not on air.

Too many repeats. Majority of these songs are flogged on Triple M regional. It’s ridiculous

2 Likes

Thanks for that, Radiohead. I’ve actually tried that already, but I’ve found that the licence number doesn’t necessarily correspond with recentness. For example, in Sydney, 2SER has the highest licence number, even though it’s been around for decades. Site ID doesn’t necessarily work either unfortuantely, as transmitters are often co-located.

1 Like

Not sure where exactly to post so here’s probably as good as any - is there a way to find out whether or not a licensed broadcast station (either within the ACMA Radio and Television Broadcasting Stations Book or on the Radcomm Database) is actually on air and transmitting (other than emailing the station themselves)? The classic example I have is a couple of Flow FM licenses in my home area of the Flinders Ranges - the 88.7 listing for Hawker has been listed in the ACMA Book for more than 5 years now but I haven’t heard anything but static when I’m back over that way. Similar situation with the 101.3 FM listing for Wilmington.

I don’t think there is any other way … it would be good to know though, and even better if there was some sort of online register that also included when broadcasters are going to put them on air, so that listeners can what new services are being planned and be able report on as a way to stop frequencies being hoarded.

As there are just too many broadcasts in those ACMA station listings that have been there for ages that are still not on air!!!

1 Like

Hi Guys, I was checking Facebook today and found this.

1 Like

Well that is BIZARRE…How could the Top 3 be all out of towners, and how could the ratings of the 2 local commercials combined be less than 1 out of town commercial station?

And I assume ABC for Deni is 675 AM from Corowa, and not Shepparton or Bendigo FM ones.

True mate, I would of thought that 2QN would of rated higher. I know a lot love listening to Neil Mitchell. I know a lot of the farmers listen to the ABC on 99.3 or ABC Riverina.

Web polls are hardly scientific and can easily be manipulated. And also how many people actually took part?

1 Like

It would be interesting to know how many people completed the survey. The website doesn’t look to be hugely popular, and it wouldn’t gave a good sample of all demographics.

The methodology is also flawed. I don’t know what type of polls they used, but both are flawed.
The first option would only allow one response per person - and that ignores stations that people might listen to after their first answer.
The other option allows multiple responses, but each response is given equal weighting. That gives a cume figure rather than a share percentage - so it’s actually incorrect to give percentages.

The narrative of the website also seems quite biased against the local stations.

99.3 looks to be Radio National, not Local Radio.

@webguy The poll looks to be a decent sample size judging by the % shares, but the legitimacy of it would also depend on how easily manipulated it can be eg, will it only accept one vote per IP address etc. And like you say, it may be a bit too simple to give a true view of listening habits.

2XL seem to have some unofficial translators running on 98.5 MHz and 98.9 MHz. Both outlets can be heard on high points which have a good LOS toward the Snowy Mountains between Nimmitabel and Bombala. 98.5 MHz has been heard via tropo into Numeralla. A search of the ACMA Radcomms database turns up nothing. My two best guesses are that they are low-powered transmissions from the skifields (Guthega, Selwyn?) or temporary transmissions connected with the impending Snowy Hydro 2.0 scheme. Only a trip to these areas would reveal more.

1 Like

How do they slot in with the 98.7 MHz translator at Perisher?

1 Like

The terrain of the Snowy Mountains region is harsh and disagreeable for FM reception. For example, in Cabramurra, reception of Perisher/Thredbo/Jindabyne is weak to non-existent. I wouldn’t rule out harmonics from Perisher (98.7), however they are very clean signals.

1 Like

I’ll ask Andrew (Dunkerley, 2XL station manger) about them.

How long have they been around (if you know), & just how far & wide do they go?

Former 2SER Andrew Dunkerley?

This is the first trip that I’ve noted signals from 2XL on 98.5 and 98.9 MHz; I travel to the Monaro a few times a year (last trip was over Easter). The receiving locations were Bukalong just NW of Bombala and on the Monaro Highway just north of Nimmitabel. Both of these locations have a great view of the Main Range, which still has excellent snow cover.

They were also noted at weak levels in Numeralla this morning via slight tropo enhancement, using a 15 element Yagi, though!

1 Like