Random Radio

A lot of stations do “Oztober” and things like that for October.

I used to love Rocktober. NEWFM used to smash that thing out of the park

#memories #bringbacknewfmrocks

2 Likes

Some more older Melbourne call signs not seen anymore:

3TT 1026 - formerly 3DB. FM Conversion in 1990 to 101.1 as TTFM. Now KIIS 101.1.

3KZ 1179 - FM conversion in 1990 to 104.3 as KZFM. Now Gold 104.3.

927 3UZ - Now RSN.

2 Likes

Wow, I remember that one. Good blast from the last when the M’s were at the top of their game in Sydney. I do seem to recall Triple M had a summer station ID to the tune of Panama by Van Halen.

1 Like

Still yet to find a Sydney station call sign but spotted a few other capital city stations this week:

4KQ 693 - Brisbane

3AK (SEN) 1116 - Melbourne

6PR 882 - Perth

3 Likes

Was up in Maryborough today and listened to Zinc 96. It’s basically a local station and sounds just as strong as Triple M. A great listen as ever and it reminded me of US stations common in smaller cities over there. It’s basically a rock based classic hits station that also plays selected new songs. It’s 80 or even 90% classic hits from 70s, 80s and 90s with the rest new music that fits the audience. They were pretty heavy on the 70s too which surprised me. Loved it. Don’t know why the likes of Gold/WS don’t sound more like that.

7 Likes

In Melbourne early 80s 3MP used to brand itself as “that summer feeling all year long!” strange given that Melbourne weather in winter and spring is generally cold, wet and brutal!

4 Likes

These days I am using my pocket analog radio. I got one from the Sony store. The am performance is great. Battery life is also excellent.

One thing it has over the analog sangean pocket radio which is important, is the background noise you get from the circuitry. It drives me nuts to hear a buzz at low volumes. I know it is a first world issue.

On the flip side, I am just a bit disappointed with the fm. I dont like the dx/local switch. In local mode it wipes out the local stations. I am not in a super strong fm area. Dx mode means I cant hear stations like abc local radio in Illawarra. You hear sbs radio instead.

I am lucky I got a good fm radio on my lg v20 phone. It is a shame Sony are not making these radios anymore. Probably the bush digital pocket radio is still the one I use the most but analog radio is great for going to watch cricket or the footy. There is also something great about listening to am radio especially talk station stations.

1 Like

They still make them, but only for the Japanese market.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SONY-SRF-M98-Synthesized-Tuning-Small-Portable-Radio-Tuner-AM-FM-from-JAPAN/112294320532?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3Dbe9852cbe0c54e7a83f9b07d8ad015a7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D282145228578&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Sony Japan still makes heaps and heaps of these products which are now obsolete in Western markets. For example, they just released a brand new cassette tape player/boombox only a month or so ago. There are also some very fancy looking pocket AM/FM radios.

http://www.sony.jp/radio/

Panasonic does the same thing, too.

1 Like

Is there really? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Only due to the (mis)management. Two commercial stations can attract a viable share in such a market if operated correctly. It’s a common industry perception that the Camerons are not good at dealing with competitive markets.

Here’s a thought, DAB+ for Geelong, put a local ABC on there.

Perhaps Laurie Atlas can be lured back to colder climes to host breakfast or mornings. His talk show in Qld is a good quality.

@nickatnights it all comes down to what experiences you’ve had in summer. For some people it may mean, skin cancer/melanoma death, bushfires burning down houses and businesses, summer flings that never happened or breakups that broke hearts all year long, loneliness of Christmas due to loved ones sorely missed or for radio tragics, general frustration at the lack of quality on air talent or wall to wall automation.

Lets go back to one Christmas Day not so long ago where WS FM were on auto as fires raged around their licence area. Oops, has happened more than once. Greg Henricks, news director at C91.3 cut short his Christmas celebrations and sobered up quick smart to provide coverage to Campbelltown RA1 audiences.

Summer should be looked forward to for radio stations, people are generally on holidays or in a festive mood with Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year. This is when people are trying different listening choices. A radioinfo.com.au report many years ago suggested special effort be devoted to fill in programming for that very reason and provided a very persuasive case.

2 Likes

After Trump’s UN speech - how many stations have played Elton John’s Rocket Man? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hilarious. If you were a smart talk operator, you would air that song after talking about it.

Use of music in talkback programs is not cleverly used.

Luke Bona could do it overnight on MMM. Stan Zemanek did on his very clever night show.

1 Like

Thanks crankymedia. Looks like Japan still has some interest in radio. The rest of the world is changing.

Exactly. The only competitive market they have any success in is Bundaberg - and only because Se FM was the third station to the market and apart from a couple of token efforts has never had any realy local presence.
They might fool some people, but the majority Grant stations are run very cheaply with fake networking, fake localism and lots of voice tracking.

2 Likes

It’s true. Hitz Bundaberg had built up so much goodwill in Bundaberg for a long long time before Grants took over. Sea Bundaberg was half arsed at best when launched so Hitz continues to be the locals choice. River 949 does pretty well in parts of Brisbane and seems to hold its own in Ipswich though. The Geelong stations just seem odd to me in their format

2 Likes

Rumour mill in full swing, a Sydney breakfast presenter will tell anyone and everyone that “he” hates his co host and hates the show. Also states he’s only in it for the money.

1 Like

Sounds like Kyle. :wink:

Bay is skewed to older females, and K rock is trying to be a hit music station with surf reports and footy calls. Neither feels right at all, Bay has all old blokes doing daytime shifts who have nasal congestion and love 80s music. No wonder no one is listening.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be Kyle. Kyle is the main force on that show and if Kyle hated Jackie, she’d already be gone.

My money would be on Harley. We all know how dominating Em can be, and Harley being a more alternative type of person would struggle with a lot of things that commercial mainstream radio stands for. Being new to radio, and a relatively unknown personality, he’s also probably the most likely person on radio in Sydney to be able to find an alternative job on anywhere near the same money.

1 Like

I can understand why he’d hate the content