Random Radio

5G mobile testing mentioned on ABC’s The Business show on Monday night.

All carriers are testing, Soul/TPG on their one national allocation will be testing. They feel that wired broadband will be redundant for consumer use in coming years.

@radioengineer has mentioned the possibilities of streaming via 5G earlier within this forum.

The spectral efficiency will go a long way to streaming replacing broadcast radio. Hello new entrants at a very low cost.

Share a photo with us please.

1 Like

I can’t remember where Andrew came from, he’s from Melbourne originally, he could’ve been at 2SER some time ago?

I’ll see what I can find out & post back if he lets me know the issue.

This video shows the Korner 15.11 Yagi in action.

Thanks for passing this on to 2XL, RF. If they are unofficial translators I daresay they will be a little coy.

1 Like

I spoke to Andrew, he didn’t say anything about new translators, but said there were no TX issues at Perisher, & they had a tech in Bombala yesterday & all was OK.

I was out at Glenbrook yesterday. Air Fm on 88.0 was playing 80s in mono. Wonder why only in mono. 99.1 WSFM had no RDS.

The dab repeaters seem to help in the CBD of Penrith. But the digital cliff is still there. Its does not power in and the reception is borderline depending what part of Penrith (ie you are LOS to Hawkesbury heights).

An update on the Mazda 3. It looks like the newer firmware from Europe allows text to appear (self installed). The glitch seems to be less prevalent on 9A. 9C never had issues. 9B still bad. I still think its the software related issue handling all parameters the 9A or 9B multiplex has. Affects all stations tested. 9C has some uniformity given its ABC/SBS. No other radio I have suffers this.

1 Like

The mystery deepens. I will see if my correspondent at Numeralla can get a video of the signals on 98.5 and 98.9; I didn’t think it was worth recording at the time given that such oddities are of negligible interest to most!

On Bombala: 2XL has a licence on 92.5 MHz for the town, but it has never got to air full time (apparently some tests were run several years ago). 91.7 MHz is on air as Snow FM.

2 Likes

They could be transmitter/apparatus licences rather than having gone through the LAP process. Bill has done that with a lot of translators in solus markets of his. Also saves ACMA a heap of admin until they’ve other work to do in the area.

Or could be a harmonic or image.

Thanks for the video of the antenna, recall this being discussed before now it reminds me.

ABC news on radio (news radio) on FM 94.5 from Dulong Lookout and Black Mt.

There was another discussed for NE Vic and north west over the Murray, unsure if on air.

Surely they would still be visible in the ACMA radcomms database though? They would still need a broadcasting services licence for any translator in the FM broadcasting services band (unless they broadcast at a few microwatts!)

I haven’t ruled out the Perisher spur theory but since this transmitter is ‘well behaved’ according to RF above they are more likely to be genuine transmissions at this point.

Correct (allowing for some error as the radcomms database has a habit of dropping licences which have recently come up for renewal and not been 100% processed yet).

As I understand it, broadcasters are legally entitled to use all frequencies listed in the LAP as the given specifications, with only minor administration to get the apparatus licence approved, with engineering models theoretically having already been done.
Other translator licences can be approved by the ACMA without having to be in the LAP provided that ACMA can be convinced that there is a need for it (ie. reception blackspot), a frequency is available, it won’t extend coverage outside the licence area and engineering models are prepared to support all of the above and demonstrate that it won’t cause interference to other services.

This process is often initiated by the aspirant in practice. I recall the head tech at 2BAB Sanctuary Point saying that he went up to Vincentia water tower with a portable radio and made a list of vacant frequencies; he found 92.7 MHz to be the most suitable. 92.7 MHz was then made available to 2BAB on a temporary basis and later codified in the Nowra LAP as ‘Sanctuary Point RA1’. 2BAB was already broadcasting with an LPON licence at the time, though; perhaps such informal practices aren’t routine.

Does anyone know why there has been a big drop in the SCA shares today? Is there a survey coming up?

Pacific Star (PNW) also took a hit yesterday losing nearly half it’s value. But with only one executed ordered.
SCA probably has more volume than PNW so probably a lot more behind it.

2 Likes

The results of 2017’s 6th radio ratings survey(s) for the five main metropolitan markets will be released tomorrow.

1 Like

You’d think so, but Bill’s stations have done this many times.

A TV ad for one of the broadcasters vying for the Sydney 96.9 frequency. Gee, I wonder why they didn’t get it.

WARNING : FEATURES AN ACTUAL SINGING PENIS. BIG TIME NSFW

1 Like

Huh? Isn’t that Nova Sydney?

It was for Free FM, a gay and lesbian aspirant community broadcaster in Sydney.

96.9 must have been the test transmission frequency for aspirants before it got assigned to Nova.

1 Like

It certainly was.
Oddly, they never used 94.5 for tests.

2MWM at Manly occupied 92.1 and 93.7 (now 88.7 and 90.3 respectively) until the late 90s.

And 95.3 was used by KISS Lithgow (which is now 107.9 Move FM).

2MWM and KISS were moved to make room for the Sydney wide community and commercial licences.

1 Like

I remember 94.5 MHz was used for the temporary broadcasts of Out FM in the late 90s/early 2000s; Out FM was another LGBTI aspirant broadcaster. Chinese Radio Sydney also conducted a few test broadcasts on 95.3 MHz in the late 90s; they used to block out Kiss FM Lithgow on my cheap Sanyo boombox.

1 Like