Random Radio

An interesting article from Radioinfo about crossover of music tracks on among Melbourne’s commercial FM stations: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/melbourne-radio-music-crossovers

The biggest crossover is between Fox & KIIS, followed by Fox & Nova, with Fox having a bigger number of unique tracks on among the CHR stations. Gold has the biggest number of unique tracks.

I’m actually surprised that there isn’t a greater crossover between FOX-KIIS-NOVA.

I thought the figure would have been closer to 40-45%, not 20-25%.

That’s because their old school hits and throwbacks vary more. I’d say if they only looked at the current music it would be 60-80% the same.

1 Like

I normally only get to listen to the radio after 9am on a weekend but I am off work today and here are my thoughts on weekday daytime radio:

• WSFM: How good does this station sound with announcers? On the weekend there are no DJs and you notice how good the vibe is when WS has a DJ. Such a surprise.
  • Talking Lifestyle: I no longer listen to 2UE at all. I want news and information. Not lifestyle - whatever that is.
  • 2GB: This station is in trouble when Alan or Ray leave. Big trouble.
  • 2DayFM: The “Hits and Old School” station is all R’n’B today. So confusing. It’s not Hits and Old School - its R’n’B. And the constant ads for Em and Harley - if these are the highlights the show is in trouble.
  • Triple M: WOW! They play music in FM stereo on weekdays. Great listen.
  • Nova: I think the chances of being a DJ before your voice has broken is alive and well.
  • Smooth: The afternoon announcer has the deepest voice on radio. The ads, music, jingles, news and DJ all just blend into one coherent sound. It’s as good on a weekday as it is on the weekend.
4 Likes

Yeah if Talking Lifestyle represented anything like my actual lifestyle I’d rather end it all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

RadioApp is funded by Commercial Radio Australia, who have absolutely zero interest in the community sector. SBS and ABC obviously don’t pose a financial threat to commercial radio, so that’s why they are included.

Perhaps the community sectors industry body could create an app like RadioApp to remain competitive in the current landscape? Heck, they’d then get some listening insights that might actually put an end to the ongoing comments about “Other FM” in the metro and regional ratings?!

3 Likes

The CBAA did put out an app of sorts iirc, though it was fairly broken when I used it. Community radio takes the lions’ share of my listening time these days, so a slick app would be welcome. TuneIn is getting glitchier with every release. Perhaps an app geek who is passionate about community radio would do it pro bono or for a nominal fee (I’m not the requisite geek, unfortunately).

Following on from last week’s research by AirCheck of the music crossovers of the Melbourne stations, here’s an article about the AirCheck research of music crossovers of the Brisbane & Gold Coast stations, which you can read here: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/brisbane-gold-coast-radio-music-crossovers

Interesting that 4KQ is being compared with Gold FM on that research, whilst Hit 105 & 4MMM are being compared against each other, which is a bit meaningless, considering they’re sister stations. :slight_smile:

I wonder if we’ll see something about the music crossovers of the Sydney stations sometime soon. :wink:

If research about the music crossovers of the Sydney stations is done sometime soon (I hope so!), one could imagine 2GO being compared with WSFM even though 2GO is part of the Triple M regional network.

1 Like

i dunno. there are plenty of right wing nutjobs they can give airtime to - paul murray (and pretty much anyone on sky)

i don’t think the listeners are that attached to the DJ’s to be honest. also where would they go? theres not much else. they certanly would not go the leftys at the ABC

2 Likes

As it turned out, AirCheck did the Sydney music station crossovers in August-September last year, which you can see the results here: http://www.aircheck.net.au/company/dyk-archives/2016-09-14

2Day & KIIS played more unique tracks than Nova, whilst WS played more unique tracks than Smooth. If you compare to the recent Melbourne music station crossovers, Gold 104.3 has a lower crossover with Smooth, as well as having a higher percentage of unique tracks, than with WS vs Smooth.

But yes, I agree that there should be an update for Sydney.

1 Like

Whilst in Coffs Harbour, I took a pic of this Triple M billboard on the Coffs hotel.

Looks like a Super Mario Bros character or something on it.
Quite odd I thought?
Sorry for pic quality, taken with phone.

2 Likes

they’re called leprechauns mate!

well, why did they put a leprechaun on it then?

probably as a March 17 promotion I guess, then they didn’t bother removing or updating it. Moffee has red hair anyway, so it’s reasonably close :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As previously announced - with a notice to users today

We will be shutting down the Pandora service in Australia and New Zealand on July 31st, 2017.

After this date, you will no longer be able to access the Pandora app or website.

2 Likes

For those who can’t get enough of the VAST Ch. 800 background music track heard on various SBS radio outlets around the country, here it is in all its glory.

2 Likes

I was streaming a US station today in the car and the announcer said they were “liv and local” :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - must have been reading a script and not too familiar with the station slogans.

AirCheck’s latest radio stations music crossovers focuses on Adelaide & Perth: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/adelaide-perth-radio-music-crossovers

There are some weird pairings there, such as 5MMM vs Nova 91.9, Hit 92.9 vs 96fm & Mix 94.5 vs Nova 93.7.

In Adelaide, Hit 107 plays far more unique tracks (72.7%) than Nova 91.9 (7.3%), with a crossover of the 2 stations at just 20%. The crossover in Perth between Hit 92.9 & Nova 93.7 is a bit higher at 32.2%, with Hit playing more unique tracks than Nova.

ACMA have released an updated Transmitter listing.

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/TV-Radio/Television/Lists-of-broadcasters/list-of-licensed-broadcasting-transmitters

The previous oddities of some stations having their power seemingly increased have been reversed
eg. from 80,000 watts to 81,000 watts are now all back to 80,000 watts.

1 Like