Random Radio

3MP Melbourne on 1377 AM is missing from the call-sign list!

And the AM station by frequency list. Didnā€™t pay its licence fee?

It happens from time to time. 4BBB and 4MMM were missing for a while a couple of years ago. When it does happen, they even disappear from the online database. Happens for other types of licence too. Maybe when thereā€™s some sort of delay in processing renewals?

Itā€™s peculiar given that they have recently rebuilt their database (or something like that) as lists have only just started being published again.

Iā€™d say itā€™s down to poor QA or inadequate systems and/or processes.

Thereā€™s a number of errors across the Gosford stations, who can find all the errors?

I notice the 2NM/Power FM repeaters on 93.3 and 94.9 respectively are now in there; the nominal site is Ravensworth Coal Mine. Both are vertically polarised with 50 w ERP.

Yes, these have been on air for the last 3-4 months or so.

I have received them in the car from just south of Singleton, but the signals disappear only about 10 kms north of Ravensworth, so it certainly gets out much better to the south than to the north. I could not get them in Muswellbrook at all.

All 3 are mono only, and even 2NM is fed off air, you can hear the AM electrical buzz interference on the FM signal.

The donā€™t have 4KQ listed though

1 Like

Youā€™re right! How many more errors are there in the thing, ACMA?

Just realised another when I looked for 4KQ. Thereā€™s no 3AW Melbourne listed either!

4KQ and 3AW were missing from the last update as well. The 4BC entry doesnā€™t make sense either - day and night power both the same but CMF different.?

Pretty pathetic effort by ACMA. Surely itā€™s not rocket science. Iā€™d be fired if I made that many mistakes.

3 Likes

Well, AirCheck had done just that: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/sydney-radio-music-crossover

According to their research, 2Day plays far more unique tracks (71.2%) than Nova (9.2%), with both stations sharing a 19.6% crossover of their music. In other words, Nova plays more tracks that is also heard on 2Day than not. Also, 2Day plays more unique tracks (53.9%) than KIIS (22.3%), with both stations sharing a 23.9% crossover of their music, with KIIS playing more tracks that is also heard on 2Day than not.

As for WSFM vs Smooth, both stations played an even proportion of unique tracks, with a 17% crossover between the two. When compared with the recent Melbourne music crossover between Gold & Smooth, in which they had a 11.7% crossover between the two, itā€™s implied that WS sounds a bit more similar to Smooth than when Gold is compared with Smooth.

2 Likes

The Nova figure can be explained by their small and repetitive playlist which is mostly top 20 stuff.

My shitty cheap Android car head unit died the other day, so I installed a fairly old Alpine head unit I had laying around which I got included for free with some other stuff from Japan. I found out after I installed it that it didnā€™t pick up any FM stations because they use a different FM band in Japan. So Iā€™m stuck with AM radio and cassettes (I also found the eject button doesnā€™t work so Iā€™m stuck with this single cassette tape jammed in there) until I get a new head unit.

But onto the main thing I found - AM on this radio sounds really, really good! Itā€™s almost FM quality on some of the stations. AM radio is usually like listening through a phone line, but itā€™s actually tolerable to listen to music on AM with this head unit. Now if only the stations actually played non-old-persons musicā€¦

4 Likes

Thereā€™ll be unions and enterprise agreements and all sorts of IR red tape that keeps them in a job. Itā€™s the CPS culture.

At worst, theyā€™ll be sent for ā€˜further trainingā€™.

1 Like

Fun forum discussion: What is the most unorthodox radio schedule youā€™ve come across in Australia?

Iā€™ll get things startedā€¦ One half of Zinc96ā€™s breakfast duo Nugget also happens to host the night show weeknights from 7pm. Itā€™d be funny (but untrue) if it was in fact the breakfast shift which he voice tracked.

Another, 2DUā€™s breakfast announcer Richard Perno comes on again each weekday from midday. That however, is live.

Its a hard one. Most commercial radio stations are pretty consistent. Community radio has a lot of varying formats. However thats the nature of community radio.

On another point. Pandora has shutdown.

1 Like

Pandora shuts down but Talking Lifestyle continues to broadcast. Whereā€™s the justice?

4 Likes

Talking lifestyle brings in more paid segments. Maybe Pandora should of had more sponsored podcasts. They could of had a talking lifestyle station under pandora. Like woolworths radio :stuck_out_tongue:.