Random Radio

6 songs an hour? You must be talking about 97.3FM not KOST!
97.3 play a LOT more ads. KOST play like 2 or 3 ads in a row at most.
I’ve listened to them in LA and even the breakfast show plays twice as much music as 97.3

1 Like

I listened to this station on iHeart Radio for a while last night.Thats what we need here in Brisbane

1 Like

That playlist looks a lot like Smooth just a bit more up tempo.

1 Like

An interesting opinion piece on Radioinfo on why media reforms are necessary, after the author spent his holiday in Mudgee, where local station 2MG (along with other BOG regional stations) doesn’t stream online: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/my-holiday…-and-why-media-reform-necessary

2 Likes

thanks, so they’ve changed in the past few months then - last I listened a lot was around February and it was 2-3 songs, 8 minutes of spots, 2 songs, 4 minutes of spots…

Yeah that’s probably about right for their breakfast shift but I find apart from breakfast it’s usually wall to wall music with quite short ad breaks. Although must admit I haven’t listened as much lately as I used to. I do remember driving around Southern California in 2016 and loving the music. I used to flick between KOST, K-EARTH, The Wave and The Sound. Happy days!

1 Like

In summary from that RadioInfo article:

More radios are required in bed and breakfasts in Mudgee, and Caralis needs online streaming.

Then something about something…

4 Likes

A survey by GfK reveals that Radio is the most trusted and authentic form of media in Australia, nearly doubling that of TV & nearly tripling that of Newspapers/Magazines.

More at: http://www.radioitsalovething.com/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/GFK_Radio-Insights_July-2017.pdf

And FM104 used to do a 60s program on a Sunday morning with Phil Maroney in the very early days.

2 Likes

Yes they did. The 60s Sunday morning show was still running in '86 or '87 at least.

Triple M play hardly any 60s music these days :confused:

1 Like

The same goes for any commercial FM station in metro areas, including WSFM in Sydney & Gold 104.3 in Melbourne, which used to play plenty of 60s (& 70s) in the past. That’s now reserved for AM & DAB+.

In response to the comments on the “ACE Radio” thread, regarding an article about 3YB in Warrnambool, in which it mentions that it’s converting to FM at the end of 2018, swapping frequencies with Vision Radio Australia (3RPH). So it got me thinking on the possible FM frequencies for further AM-FM conversions in selected other regional markets.

These include:

2BS Bathurst: 100.9 (currently held by Sky Sports Radio)
7BU Burnie: 97.7 (currently held by RadioTAB, but in a different transmitter location to that of Sea FM)
7AD Devonport: 101.3 (currently held by RadioTAB)
2GN Goulburn: 94.3 (currently held by Sky Sports Radio)
2XL Cooma: 96.9 (currently held by Sky Sports Radio)
2PK Parkes: 99.9 (currently held by Sky Sports Radio)
2AD Armidale: 104.3 (currently held by Sky Sports Radio)
2MO Gunnedah: 95.9 (currently held by Sky Sports Radio)

2 Likes

I remember in the late 80s early 90s, the reason why 2day fm and triple m would not play 60s music, its because the stereo is not as good. Smooth plays some 60s tracks.

1 Like

Not sure how appropriate those would be since they are lower power transmissions at the moment. They might not be appropriate for the higher power required for a commercial broadcast.

didn’t stop EON FM Melbourne from playing 60s songs originally recorded in mono such as “Gimme Some Lovin’” by Spencer Davis Group, and “My Generation” by The Who.

2day fm went through phases. They did occasionally have the beatles weekends.

The only true 60s station was 2WS in the 90s. If they remained on the am band they still would be.

At least on DAB Triple M play 60s and 70s on Greatest Hits and Classic Rock :slight_smile:

In the case of Goulburn, Armidale and Gunnedah, those frequencies were originally proposed as a 3rd commercial FM licence.

But as others have pointed out, particularly in the case of Armidale and Gunnedah, Bill Caralis is unlikely to pay much in the way of $$$$ to SKY Sports Radio or anyone else to convert 2AD and 2MO to FM given there are no other commercial competitors in those markets.

Other HPON frequencies that might be suited to a commercial AM-FM swap, despite requiring a change in transmitter site and/or increase in power are:

Tamworth 90.5
Taree 105.7
Grafton 103.1
Wagga Wagga 95.5

Swan Hill 106.9
Horsham 102.9
Hamilton 102.1

Renmark 95.5

It’s funny to now be in a situation where two of Triple M’s DAB+ stations, as well as their “Classic Hits” stations in some regional areas (eg Fraser Coast, Mid North Coast, Darling Downs etc), are playing more 60s/70s than WS & Gold these days. At least 4KQ & Cruise still play plenty of 60s/70s music.

4 Likes

A bit of constructive criticism in regard to RadioApp:
Although there are ABC and SBS stations, there are no community radio stations on RadioApp.