Random Radio

There’s always been a few oddities with these listings.
2BH Broken Hill has disappeared from it also and it’s still on air.

And some of the ERPs are a bit odd.
A lot of ABC FM broadcasts that were listed at 80,000 watts are now 81,000 watts.
I don’t get that!
There are other odd variations in it like that which don’t make sense either.

Is there an SEN equivalent in Sydney?

Likewise, is there a 2SM equivalent in Melbourne?

No, there isn’t a Sydney equivalent of SEN or a Melbourne equivalent of 2SM equivalent although I was talking in the context of music stations there.

The PDF’s are still Jan 2016 though :frowning:

1 Like

I agree with the above. Up until a few years ago, a number of SCA’s (formerly Macquarie Regional Radioworks) regional stations have their own local music logs, which makes it interesting for those travelling around. Nowadays, most of their regional stations have the same logs everywhere, whether it be the Triple M or the Hit stations. At least there are some Triple M regional stations that take the Classic Hits log (eg. Mid North Coast of NSW) instead of the Greatest Hits log.

At least there are still some regional commercial stations, particularly those owned by Grant Broadcasters & the independents, that maintains its own local log. :slight_smile:

new fm newcastle used to play 9 hrs comercial free they called it the rock factory

1 Like

Some air checks from FM104 in 1983… Makes me a bit sad as there’ll never be another station like this again :(.

4 Likes

The future of Woolworths Radio in supermarkets nationwide is in doubt after its streaming partner Pandora decided to close its Australian operations within the month.

Pandora’s exit will also affect in-car entertainment systems for several car brands such as Holden, which includes a Pandora app in its MyLink system.

I think the comment made by David Henselin at the bottom of that article sums it up well:

"So now it’s Pandora’s turn, how long before Spotify shuts it’s doors as it continues to bleed red ink, there is not one streaming service anywhere making money and only Apple’s deep pockets keep their service a float.

Something has got to give, the current streaming business model is obviously unsustainable, the music labels need to sit down with current and future providers and work this out otherwise piracy will fill the void as I can’t imagine younger people going back to CDs."

One really must wonder who is making any money out of the current music streaming providers (certainly not the artists).

As a side note is the subscription based radio model working out for SiriusXM?

At any rate it’s looking like terrestrial radio still has a future ahead of it!

2 Likes

1 Like

Sad to hear about the streaming services, I have Spotify and I also still buy a lot of music from iTunes, even when it’s available on Spotify.

There’s still a lot of music that’s not on Spotify however (and to a lesser extent with iTunes).
Though I have to admit that I don’t buy many CDs these days.

Hopefully Google will keep Google Play Music going against Apple Music as competitive streaming services, in addition to online music sales.

I hope there is a plus side to the failure of streaming services, I would love that to be terrestial radio or more CD sales and more record stores open up again, but yes, I do fear piracy could be a winner too.

1 Like

I wonder if iHeart radio was a factor as well?
I’ve been streaming US stations a lot recently rather than Pandora. Particularly KOST. I swear if 97.3 copied KOST they’d be blitzing Brisbane.
I also stream Absolute 80s all the time.
I don’t think the news of Pandora leaving is necessary good news for Australian terrestrial radio when personally I find the choices available of overseas stations to be superior…far superior.

3 Likes

It’s such a shame they don’t sound like this anymore,the 'good old days 'before radio stations were networked :confused:Now they all sound exactly the same

1 Like

you mean 25 minutes of ads and maybe 6 songs an hour if you’re lucky? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Brian68 - thanks for posting that FM104 link.

Loved the music and the ad for Penthouse made me laugh. The announcer was so docile though. The music was similar to what Radio 10 played but the whole programming was without the hype of Radio 10. In Sydney Triple M was not as top 40 orientated (Duran Duran, Kajagoogoo etc) until 2SM ceased pumping out the Hot Hits in 1988.

In the 80s 2DayFM played very little top 40. Triple M some top 40. And 2SM was wall to wall, undiluted, 100% top 40 music.

It seems that in Brisbane FM104 was much more similar to the AM competitor. And, of course, FM stereo wins over AM mono when the music is the same. The DJ on FM 104 would have felt at home at smooth in 2017!

2 Likes

DJs on FM radio as a whole back then was so much more laid back than it is now. FM104 and 2DAYs DJs were much more like Smooth FM in their presentation compared to any other current commercial FM station. Ironic how those presentation styles were/are now reflected in the top rating music stations, even if the music formats are a bit different (in Sydney at least).

I recall 2DAY FM playing quite a bit of Top 40, particularly in drive. Not so much in other timeslots though.

2 Likes

yeah the whole pre-rec hosts on Top 40 stations are so impersonal now. Although Smooth it’s way too scripted, and boring (ie weather, doing chores discussion)

In my experience, outside of breakfast, Smooth doesn’t usually discuss the weather, since much of their voice tracked content is pre recorded and is the same in Sydney and Melbourne.

I’ve never understood weather talk on radio - makes too many presumptions about what people like about the weather.

Yeah the ad for Penthouse made me smile too.

The music on FM104 was probably a little different to how you perceive from those snippets though. They did play some top 40, but there were really quite selective about it whereas Radio 10 played ALL the top 40. They also played usually 5 or 6 songs in a row between ad breaks those air checks only catch the last song before the ad. In a typical block of music it was probably 4 classic rock songs and only 1 or 2 top 40 songs. They also played a little more “cooler” top 40 songs in the evening, which was when those air checks were recorded. At least up until 10PM when they played 6 songs from an album - either new or old.

The thing with FM104 though is that they also played classic rock and importantly album rock as well as the selected top 40 songs. They had such a broad net for music. For example the lunchbox show might feature half an hour of Boz Scaggs songs - stuff you’d never hear on a top 40 station.

They also mixed in some of the heavier rock tracks and thought nothing about playing the likes of Led Zepplin any time of the day.

So believe me they were nothing like Radio 10 :slight_smile:

Someone on here once described FM104 as playing the broadest range of classic rock, including softer classic rock, in addition to “cool” new music. That sums it up for me.

The other thing is their announcers were very low-key and that was a policy of theirs.

2 Likes