Random Radio

Just out of interest do you know the specs of the Telstra Fibre connection, Cada are using?

I don’t notice any difference in audio quality between their microwave link and the current fibre link to Wentworth Falls, they must be using a high bit rate?

If the NBN connections get up graded to fibre at the transmitter site it probably won’t make any difference if the audio continues to be set a 32kbps.

I would rather a higher bit rate and have down time if the NBN goes down, but fibre is much more reliable then FTTN VDSL.

4 Likes

I don’t know what the bit rate of CADA is across the Fibre, it’s quite likely PCM uncompressed, across both the fibre & microwave links, that’s what the tech wants to run to Wentworth Falls for 2LT/Move FM if he can get a fibre connection there, even if it is just an NBN “residential quality” connection.

4 Likes

So that would mean audio quality similar to CADA if he can get fibre to the site?

3 Likes

yes assuming he can get the audio processing issues sorted, those problems aren’t related to the low bitrate STL.

4 Likes

I’ve just had a weekend up in the mountains and over at Bathurst.

DAB worked right until you dropped down Victoria Pass which I thought was pretty good all things considering.

The Midwest transmitters in Wentworth Falls don’t sound nice at all. :frowning:

I am puzzled as to why Lithgow, Bathurst and Portland all have their own ABC transmitters. Surely a decently powered setup at Mt Lambie or Yetholme could elimate the need for all 3 and free up some spectrum?

Considering I can get Move in Bathurst and B-Rock/2BS in Lithgow I’m sure a decent setup would achieve great results. And they can decommission 1395.

5 Likes

Yes, and Move 107.9 gets into Bathurst pretty well too.

One challenge would be finding 5 suitable frequencies that could run at say 20kw from Mt Ovens (Yetholme) or Mt Lambie that doesn’t interfere with other stations elsewhere.

Its pretty hilly terrain too, particularly around Lithgow, so there might be some blackspots if you are using a more distant TX.

2 Likes

I am surprised ABC local radio in Lithgow didn’t convert to fm, similar power to 91.3 fm. Also I think ABC Local radio Bathurst doesn’t have super strong reception on 549 am. Cumnock is still around 100 km away even though its a blowtorch.

3 Likes

So many damn armchair experts in this forum that have no reality of the commerical radio world and how it all works outside their pirate and Narrowcast world’s

5 Likes

Then there is ‘Bill’s World’ or as you put it, ‘Bill’s Train Set’. Quite separate from most commercial realities, in that rarified air several thousand feet above the 2SM studios. Many wealthy people are hoarders; he has picked radio licences.

I agree that most of what is said on MediaSpy is speculation or outright rubbish. Mere digital ink spilled for the sake of it, this post included. I may be heading for a ban.

6 Likes

I was just about to say, I’ve seen at times better run Community stations/Narrowcast stations then some of these commercial stations (Bills 2SM Network for one).

But egos be egos and radio attracts them more then most, so it’s always a battle of why my way is the best way because I say so. (I’m including myself as well).

5 Likes
3 Likes

Anyone notice any improvement in the reception of 102.9 2ST?

I am receiving it again on my dx setup, only very weak and just above the noise floor, but up until this time I have had nothing. Tropo conditions are flat, so maybe the new transmitter has gone live?

2 Likes

Yeah that would make me feel old too. That’s why I like stations like Breeze and BBC R2. They play current music and classic hits right back to the 60s. It somehow makes you feel much less old when you hear Sara / Fleetwood Mac followed immediately by Hold My Hand / Lady Gaga - which Breeze just played. I actually really love the mix of certain current hits and 40 year old songs.

Update Then they followed up Gaga with The Pied Piper / Crispian St Peters which is from 1966! Not one of my favourites but it just shows how broad the decades of music are on the station. Then they played a Jewel song from the mid-90s.

2 Likes

No. Still as weak as…

3 Likes

I was at Killcare Heights on the Central Coast today and I had 2ST FM with RDS on the car radio clearly.

3 Likes

@RFBurns have you heard anything further on when the new transmitter for 2ST will be installed?

1 Like

I left the SDR & RDS Spy running for over an hour & was surprised to find a logged PI code of 2ST on 102.9 even though it’s a very noisy & weak signal here. The stereo pilot carrier barely punches 5dB above the noise.

2 Likes

I had a very weak burst of signal, but has again faded away to nothing. Now the only signal on 102.9 is very weak Triple M Newcastle.

1 Like

Nope sorry I haven’t heard anything more about the new transmitter going on air.

4 Likes

Looks like time is up for the temporary Newsradio 90.1 service in Bunbury. Gone this morning.

Over on AM, 1152 sounding perfect. You’d have only noticed it’s low powered maintenance period if you had a signal meter on it.

The irony is, today ABC managing director David Anderson was on ABC Perth talking about the ABCs 5 year plan - which included reduced funding for AM radio. (Though I wonder if the ABC Busselton tower works where funded by BAI and not the ABC).

4 Likes