Random Radio

Sorry, my bad. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: but very interesting tales about 2KA, had no idea that they were that much close to the brink.

We now between my friends and I have a 24 hour feed going with the fresh mix dot com, thus now we can seriously start looking into syndicating our program material overnights on some other stations, hence why wanting to speak to the programing or management of 2OOO.

As per your post above noting that one of the mentioned stations is having issues with various program sound leveling, one would surmise that is just very pour programing skills at the back end. Now a days, modern software and tools can process the signel before it getā€™s to the DX equipment and site. We have a sound supression / limiter between what goes on in our studio, and what comes out on the web. I would surmise if a bare-bones internet station could do such, a fully established commercial station that would have a few more quid and contacts within the industry could at least sought better technical advice and equipment. Analogue/physical process equipment can be very expensive, but they are several good cheaper software options available today. but then thatā€™s just my two bob worth. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, much appreciated.

1 Like

Thatā€™s really interesting. Up to $10m for Lithgow to set up DAB on multiple low powered sites , compared with $1-2m for Bathurst for a single high powered site.

If BOG proceed with Bathurst then will the ABC/SBS join them on another multiplex or will they bundle it into a single Category 3 multiplex to save on costs. Will be interesting to see any developments here.

6 Likes

DAB in the Blue Mountains is good in the car right up to Katoomba. It fades out by the time you get to Blackheath, which is heading towards Lithgow, so in other words, covers most of the Blue Mountains quite well in the car.

3 Likes

Given the ABC seemingly didnā€™t want to go DAB on the Gold Coast with the others, I canā€™t see them doing Bathurst.

2 Likes

Yes, the ABC have given DAB the cold shoulder it appears, which is disappointing for regional listeners.

I canā€™t see them launching permanent DRM services either, as there are no receivers to buy , not to mention any car manufacturers installing them.

3 Likes

Gorilla, ZOO, Fun & Dance would provide brilliant variety to the Bathurst region. So long as they were always on air.

3 Likes

None of them are on air in Sydney, aside from Gorilla, but I agree, they would be great for Bathurst.

2 Likes

Simple solution increase the ERP to 500W east for 99.5 / 101.1, that would provide coverage right down into Springwood, lower Blue Mountains and into Penrith, with exception of Lapstone and Enu Plains.

That would be worth a try, and would it achieve the same level of audio quality as on 107.9 or would the low bit rate knock the quality down?

Is this now the main link to the transmitter? Previously the STL microwave link was Macquarie Park / Artarmon TXA tower / Wentworth Falls. Is the microwave link now a backup similar t Hopeā€™s setup?

1 Like

Could create too much overspill into Western Sydney. I know thereā€™ll be the same argument in reverse about Sydney always having overspill into the Blue Mountains too.

3 Likes

Of course it would, even at 250W from Wentworth Falls would cover Springwood and would be rural grade or better into the unshaded parts of Penrith.

If they were to have translators at Springwood you would have similar coverage to the 100W 99.1 WS from Hawkesbury Heights into Sydney.
It Move / 2LT weā€™re to go dab+ which they wonā€™t there was to be a Springwood translator for them.

I cannot see ARN investing in establishing a Katoomba dab+ licence for CADA, it is already on air in Sydney, and it has fortuitous reception back up the mountains.

4 Likes

I think the best solution for a lower Blue Mountains repeater would probably be at Winmalee with say 500 watts west and 100 watts south and east.

2 Likes

Can anyone actually see BOG spending the money to set up DAB+ in Bathurst?

You can thank CRA for that.

3 Likes

Yes I believe the Fibre is the main link now, though itā€™s been in place for a number of years, about the same time (or just after) the community antenna was installed on the Artarmon tower, ARN replaced the microwave dish on the tower towards Wentworth Falls, so the fibre wouldā€™ve been in place before then, 6 months ago we had a couple of big lightning strikes on the Artarmon tower & ARN lost the MW link to Wentworth Falls for a couple of weeks, until they could get up the tower & fix it, so itā€™s definitely not a main link.

2 Likes

Donā€™t think youā€™d want that, high power going West would smack into the higher mountains behind Winmalee & reflect back East, causing mutli-path issues.

2 Likes

Iā€™m confused as to why this is so hard to fix?

A few key things to note;

2LT (Which is also a mix of network and local programing) does not suffer from this issue, what was done for 2LT that cannot be done for Move FM.

The web stream for Move FM (Midwest Radio Network Stream) sounds quite good why not use that as the feed for Wentworth Falls with some onsite audio processing.

With Starter FM, I am able to run full FM ready audio leveling at the studio and then send it via stream, why couldnā€™t this be done at the studio and sent via stream to Wentworth Falls?

1 Like

2LT has multiple AGCā€™s in the chain 3 or 4 the tech said, including one on the satellite because Hadley regularly goes off mic, so levels are all over the place, low then loud.
2LT is mostly talk, itā€™s the music levels within songs & quiet or silence spots between music & music/talk mix & the news levels thatā€™s causing the problems on Move FM, issues with attack & release times is part of the issue, because levels vary so much, what works some of the time doesnā€™t work other parts of the time

Probably could use the web stream, but then Iā€™ve heard some of you complain about feeding sites with web streams & sounding shit, some here are never happy.

Like I said itā€™s money to do something & revenue to pay for it, sure it wouldnā€™t be an issue with a $40k Optimod like I said, hell I could fix it with a $5k processor probably, but a $1500 or $600 processor just canā€™t do whatā€™s needed, heā€™s thinking of putting an Inovonics AGC in line & seeing how that goes.

This tech isnā€™t your average community radio tech who has no experience, heā€™s been around for years, with plenty of experience, he engineers for a lot of the Sky Racing transmissions around NSW (Western side of the mountains), Midwest Radio, a number of community stations including 2OOO FM, he looks after the Wentworth Falls CADA for ARN & other commercial stations as a contract tech when needed, back in the 70ā€™s/80ā€™s & probably 90ā€™s he worked in Sydney radio, I think at maybe 2UW, & has worked at the ABC also I think, when he says itā€™s a hard problem to solve I believe him.
Give him the funds & Iā€™d bet heā€™d have it fixed in 10 minutes, patching together cheap shit that really doesnā€™t cut it, trying to make something work is much harder.

Cut the Starter FM funding by 2/3rds, donā€™t install any equipment worth more than $1500 & see how you go making all the audio sound good, all the time, thereā€™s not a lot of cheap stuff thatā€™s even half decent available to buy now.

4 Likes

Just for anyone interested in how hard it might be to get Move FM Wentworth Falls sounding good using cheap equipment, Koori FM at Artarmon has one of the most basic, cheap processors on the market that Iā€™ve ever used, itā€™s a Deva Broadcast DB64-FM processor, it cost about $3500 & while it sounds quite good, I have it running on a ā€œNaturalā€ profile setting, if I try to process it harder, such as a Rock, CHR, or Adult Contemp. profile, it struggles, with it starting to sound crap & pumping starts to happen on some music, probably similar things as whatā€™s happening with Move FM Wentworth Falls, I never left it with harder settings very long to find out how many problems & how bad it actually sounded.

8 Likes

Web streams can sound good with a high enough bit rate, though would probably cost more to go from 32 to say 96 kbps, but would it cost that much these days?

2 Likes

Not really, but heā€™s setting the input to data rates the 4G can handle well if it happens to drop back to that because of an NBN network issue.
If the 4G network is loaded when it falls back, it mightnā€™t be able to pass much data at all, Iā€™m sure youā€™ve all winged at times how slow dataā€™s loading things on your mobile phone when youā€™ve been in crowded areas or just even at peak times of the day when everyones on their mobile phones.

5 Likes