Random Radio

1WAY FM, all the hits for you & your hand, 7WAY FM, an orgy of hits & memories for you & friends. :rofl:

5 Likes

I donā€™t think Christian stations condone that sort of thing.

Given that itā€™s a Tasmanian station, perhaps you, your friends and your relatives.

(Sorry, couldnā€™t resist- love you Tassie!)

5 Likes

Thats only enough room for 3.5 people :grin:

3 Likes
1 Like

Now this is interestingā€¦ TNTRADIO.LIVE has their own online chat room:

Chat - TNT Radio

When was the last time anybody saw/had an online chat room?

Not a bad idea considering it is a web-only radio station. Itā€™s probably a good tool to get live comments & immediate interaction.

2 Likes

Probably the old 9inety6ix.1 chat room in 1999/2000 :smiley:

3 Likes

Iā€™ll post here because itā€™s a mix of topics.

Iā€™m currently at the Winmalee WSFM & DAB Translator site doing some work, pic of the WSFM transmitter here, seeing as itā€™s the anniversary of them converting to FM, though this was here when they were only on 1224 AM.

Iā€™m also listening to Move FM Wentworth Falls translator & that audio issue still isnā€™t fixed, & itā€™s bad, itā€™s loud then youā€™ll get a quiet spot or silence between songs for example & it gets held down low volume for a number of seconds, possibly up to 5 -10 seconds Iā€™ve heard this morning, then will get loud again, Iā€™ll have to get back onto the tech.
I have my mobile Modulation Monitor with me, but the signal isnā€™t strong/clean enough to get a good reading on anything to see if it might be something with the transmitter related & not processing & unfortunately I donā€™t have time today to go up to Wentworth Falls & try there.

13 Likes

youā€™d hope itā€™s being moderated given the type of chat that a station like this might generate, from what I gather

4 Likes

Any pics of the DAB transmitters?

1 Like

Hereā€™s one of Winmalee from a couple of years ago, thereā€™s a couple of different pieces of equipment there now but itā€™s only to do with telemetry, the DAB transmitters remain the same. All the DAB Infill sites are very much the same, this one has Microwave RX & TX in it as itā€™s an SFN site, the OCR sites donā€™t have/need that & they use OCR Drivers not Modulators for each mux, PA is common across all 3 multiplexes, they are combined pre-Amplifier.

9 Likes

Just tried 99.5 on the mod monitor at SWR and same issue, itā€™s too weak to get a sample. Doesnā€™t help the receiving antenna is a yagi aimed at Horsley Park. Also 99.1 de-mod is showing left/right channels are out of balance (left a couple of DB louder).

@RFBurns earlier comment about Solidyne being crap is likely to be the answer with 99.5

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a blast from the past! The shell page is still visible on archive.org
Wayback Machine

Those chat room rules were pretty lax

4 Likes

Does anyone know how to speak to someone at 2OOO FM in Sydney. Iā€™ve contacted the listed telephone number on their webpage 9715 5422 and have sent them an email through their address. Iā€™ve tried doing so twice through both contact points and no reply, phone just rings out, nobody there.

3 Likes

I know the tech, had a 45 minute conversation with him this morning about Move FM, who are you after there, programming or technical?

2 Likes

Programming, you can PM me if more appropriate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As per above mention, I spoke in detail with the Move FM Lithgow tech this morning about the Wentworth Falls audio issue, he knows what it is, but doesnā€™t know how to solve it, heā€™s tearing his hair out over it, itā€™s due to the audio levels not being equal across programming & nobody at the studio sitting at the desk to adjust the faders to suit, itā€™s all to do with the AGC, itā€™s near impossible for him to get it to work across everything, heā€™s tried many different things but some induce pumping which is probably worse than whatā€™s happening now, his next step is to put a AGC in the studio, & have AGCā€™s doubled up, a $40,000 Optimod would fix the issue (has one at Mt Lambie thatā€™s why it doesnā€™t happen on the main frequency), but thereā€™s no revenue in the mountains, so heā€™s using the cheapest way to do everything there he can.
Heā€™s also trying to get the levels even & modulate the transmitter properly, as it currently stands, the transmitter is under modulating, he makes some adjustments & itā€™ll over modulate, some things he tries the transmitter will over modulate during some programs but then under modulate in others & may even modulate at 100% on something else.

Side Note - History lesson, ARN currently have a private Telstra Fibre link for CADA to site, 2LT & Move are only able to use a xDSL connection with 4G backup, again money to do the job vs revenue in, heā€™d like to get them onto a fibre when NBN decide to upgrade the site from FFTN.

Maybe known by some here or not, 2KA were granted the FM conversion earlier than the s27 licences were handed out or others were allowed to convert, purely because they had gone broke & told ACMA (or the ABA I think it was at the time), they were turning off the transmitters & shutting down, there was no way they could continue broadcasting with no revenue from across the mountains, when they moved to Penrith & got the FM licence, (I think the tech said) they were bringing in about $40k per month on advertising & the reason whatā€™s now ARN wanted to buy it so badly & eventually got it was 2KA/One FM were taking that Western Sydney revenue away from 2WS. Had they (2KA) not been granted that FM licence conversion & fortuitously being able to transmit across Sydney, 2KA wouldā€™ve been dead & history within weeks.

2LT & Move FM actually also have translator licenses to broadcast from Springwood, but ACMA took back the proposed frequencies & reallocated them to elsewhere in Sydney (similar to what they did with the main Move FM frequency, taking it back & selling it to whatā€™s now Smooth FM on 95.3), so they have licences to broadcast into Penrith from lower down the Eastern side of the mountains, but no available frequencies to use.

I also found out Bathurst has permission to go DAB with a high power site, but Lithgow was told thereā€™s not enough space in the band for them to have a high power site, so they can use (I think the tech said 11) low power DAB sites to cover the areas, & the tech worked it out Bathurst might cost 1 or 2 million dollars to setup DAB, Lithgow could be over $10 million to do all those smaller low power DAB sites & management at 2LT said no way, never happening, theyā€™d prefer to use DRM with the existing infrastructure AM/FM.
The tech I talk to was the one who did the DRM trials in Canberra for SBS years ago & he said it worked fantastically & sounded great, SBS wanted to use DRM on AM with 4 voice digital voice channels so they could run a program in multiple languages at the same time, which wouldā€™ve been perfect, but itā€™s never got off the ground.

End story of Move FM Wentworth Falls, the tech knows thereā€™s a problem, he just doesnā€™t know the best/easiest/cheapest way to fix it, heā€™ll get there eventually but for now you just have to put up with whatever audio quality he can get out of the site & hang in there with it.

14 Likes

Iā€™ll ask the tech whoā€™s the best to contact & how to contact them.

2 Likes

Great post! I love reading about this kind of thing.

9 Likes

Would it be possible to take an off air feed of 107.9 at the studio and then send that over the xDSL connection to Wentworth Fallsā€¦ so the Optimod effectively does the audio smoothing for 99.5 as well?

5 Likes

I think the conclusion is there seems to be no money in the BM for a commercial radio station or two. Unfortunate but FM reception is in general good from Sydney and depending which side of the ā€œhillā€ you are on Central Coast or Wollongong comes in great too. 2ST 102.9 is not bad so long as you are on the south side of the hill. C91.3 is great in parts unless you get too close to Lithgow and Newsradio takes over.

DAB is average and AM radio is in general not the best. 702 AM and 576 are adequate. 1224 AM is ok in parts too. DAB is patchy as it isnā€™t designed to go up there. It has been a while since I have been up there to test.

4 Likes