Random Radio

You can add the Stan ads which describe the premise of a new show but you have to listen to that same ad six times every hour. Only so many times you can hack listening to that same description ad.

1 Like

Or a generic annoying voice of a Joyce Mayne ad.

Reminds me of the time I nearly drove off the road laughing at a Bing Lee ad.

Lionel: “Mum. I’ve got a thesaurus.”
Yenda: “You should stand up then!”

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

11 Likes

Those ads are so confusing. It wasn’t until I saw a car with Wynstan branding on it that I’d have ever known their company name - the ‘y’ isn’t the only weird part of the spelling - I’d have guessed “Wynston” - telling me that you spell it with a y doesn’t help me know it’s also spelt with an ‘a’.

2 Likes

So funny. :laughing: I do love those Bing Lee adverts.

7 Likes

The Bing Lee ads are the best by far. Absolutely laugh out loud stuff.

6 Likes

The Crimsafe ads
I first heard about 15 years ago(maybe more), I remember back then it went,”My daughter Kimmy has just bought her first home ,it’s not long since she’s left school “ Then it goes on that her dad recommended she have Crimsafe screens installed on her new home, I think the guy doing this ad was a former actor,can’t remember his name though.Throughout the years Kimmy then got married and had children,etc,etc. and her dad was still advertising Crimsafe security screens and still is as far as I know

Has anyone been able to pick up Australia Today on DAB+ lately or was it just another piss in the wind digital station of SCA?

6 Likes

Great quote :rofl:

They do have a limited life span don’t they.

4 Likes

This is an American blog article but much of it probably rings true here too.

7 Likes

His name is Roy Billing, he played the Mayor of Parkes in “The Dish”. As an aside, my grandfather was an alderman on the Parkes Municipal Council at the time of the Moon landing and the mayor at the time was nothing like the character in the movie.

3 Likes

RE Owning your own station …

Yeah I dream the same thing too even today being live and local etc. The reality is very different. The best way would be to join a community station and volunteer. Something I plan to do when I retire.

8 Likes

You’ll always be welcome over at SWR :slightly_smiling_face: @Laoma

6 Likes

I think it’s important to do some things for yourself so why not start now, @Laoma ! The demands of the modern world mean most people don’t have any free time, especially anyone with kids. But community radio is an excellent use of your spare time, as you’re contributing something to society whilst doing it. Better than drinking, smoking or gambling.

2 Likes

Better than drinking, smoking or gambling.

Yes I totally agree with that… Ideally good to start when one is at Uni/or just starting work. For people who have spare time it is certainly a good way to spend that time. I am not sure if many other countries in this globe have this concept, where you can rock up and volunteer and even run your own show. I don’t think it exists in Asia. Not sure in Europe. Not sure how “common” it is in the US/Canada.

The modern trend is doing a youtube channel, or podcast. I wonder if the next generation will aspire to have a youtube channel or similar platform with 2 million subs. Rather than “run” a radio station.

specially anyone with kids

You got it ! 2 kids under 6. Two working parents, one working weekends and often evenings. Not unusual in this day and age.

1 Like

Ok thanks , I knew that guy from the Crimsafe ads was an actor

1 Like

Australia has the most comprehensive community radio sector in the world, imo. It’s a national treasure and doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. As you say, it isn’t as developed in the US or Europe.

The US is setting up more community radio stations ,but it’s a fairly recent phenomenon. Historically, most non-commercial stations there were either tied to NPR or an educational institution. KFAI in Minneapolis- the station where ‘Crap From The Past’ originates from- is one of the rare exceptions. In regional areas there are a scattering of LPFMs that are in various stages of development. This one in Coos Bay, Oregon (population 16 000+, compared to Braidwood ~2000) has very little local programming:

https://kjaj.org/schedule/

Similarly in the UK, there is a trend for more community radio. But Australia is well ahead of the curve with many stations here starting in the 80s and even the late 70s.

3 Likes

Yeah I tuned into the latest episode from the weekend and the show was dedicated to charity drive. I am sure you can donate to community radio in Australia no doubt, but certainly it feels more in your face (not saying it is bad thing just different). I am sure the funding models is very different over there (plus the culture).

That episode won’t be on Braidwood FM (I believe) as it’s show’s purpose won’t work (ie the charity drive) for the overseas affiliates.

American culture is quite different in this regard; you really have to sell the product to your audience (especially if that product is yourself). Consider university entrance in the US, where extra curricular activities and interviews are as important as intelligence and overall academic performance. In some ways that system is superior (the university entrance better prepares you for the ‘real world’ of job search), but a focus on individualism and selling yourself may be detrimental in fostering good community radio. Now I am going into the weeds again.

2 Likes

Is the same voice over guy who does the crazy warehouse guy ads from back in the day?

1 Like