Random Radio

I remembered my login for the Stereo.net forum (ex DTV Forum). Here’s one of my earliest posts. Cringeworthy stuff. I was 18 at the time but that doesn’t excuse it.

2ST sucks. It’s easy listening, bad quality and has shocking ads. Wave fm has gone downhill, bring back ‘Totally 80’s’ at 8 pm. 2GO is muddy from where I live although I’m in a bad spot for Central Coast transmissions. Triple M plays the best variety of 80’s. For the record, here’s a few evaluations of other stations in the NSW (Newcastle Sydney Wollongong) market.

c 91.3- Great variety, bad and irrelevant ads (like the sleeping giant)

Power FM 94.9- Standard pop station, nothing remarkable. Muddy into most of Sydney.

The Edge 96.1- Top 40 S**T! Covers the whole of Sydney with this rubbish.

Wave FM- 96.5- Downhill

NOVA 969- You listen for the cheesy gimmicks rather than the music (Bianca Dye is the stereotypical 80’s clueless presenter)

i 98- Standard pop station, good in the mid- 90’s.

B-Rock- 99.3 OK, not in NSW but I can get a muddy signal. Great variety of classic and modern rock (pity 2NSB gets in the way).

SEA FM 101.3- Standard pop station with ‘Big Kahuna’ at night the main attraction. Sometimes does good countdowns like the ‘A-Z of the 80’s’

WS FM 101.7- Standard variety of classic rock. Good station but a little repetitive. Will be under pressure when 95.3 (eventually) gets on air.

2ST- see above.

KO FM 102.9 (Newie)- Now THIS is a good 80’s station. Plays ‘80 mins of the 80s’ at a time when everyone can listen (8 pm). Kinda like 2GO, but with a more convenient 80’s timeslot. Pity noone south of Balgowlah can get it.

2DAY FM- Top 40 rigid S**T. Used to be good back in the early 90’s, but now is competing with NOVA.

Star 1045- Nova clone with 2 more ads but a lot more variety. Too much like Sea FM.

Triple M- The best station for variety in Sydney. But sometimes it gets a little too weird (like Michael Jackson- Beat it), and the random news times are a little annoying. But MMM is THE station for good variety and comedy. Must get Ashlee Simpson off the very liberal playlist though.

New FM (105.3)- Vampiric station ripping off NOVA, triple M and others. Used to have the slogan “Something different” and surprising DMG didn’t take action. Then again, the signal can’t be heard in any of Sydney except for Avalon/Palm Beach.

Triple J- Weird and repetitive with crap aussie hip hop in the middle of the day. Only good shows now are ‘Super request’ and the ‘net 50’.

Mix 1065- Sydney is too fast paced for this slow and sleepy station. However, plays the odd good 80’s.

NX FM (106.9)- 2DAY FM in Newcastle. Identical format but with ‘106 min music marathons’ and more high school hits.

2GO- Good variety of 70s/80s, again could’ve got into trouble with DMG by using the slogan “The local you know” as opposed to Star FM’s “Your new local”

1079 Lithgow- Top 40 standard, but has a penchant for really new music which is surprising for a regional station (I heard Lazyboy: Underwear goes inside the pants on 1079 before NOVA). Plays some retro in the middle of the day.

9 Likes

Yes, I remember your post that you made back in 2005 in the old DTV Forums (I was also a member there).

Back then, Wave FM might’ve went downhill from what it was a few years earlier, but it’s nothing compared to what we’re subjected to hearing now, in which there’s almost no difference between them & i98. In fact, i98 might be slightly more preferable to listen to than Wave these days, whereas years ago, it would’ve been the opposite.

As for 2ST, at least it has become more listenable. C91.3 was better in 2005 than what it’s sounding now, with Cranney’s “Classic 9 @ 9” still present at the time. WS played quite plenty of songs that wouldn’t get airplay on there now, a lot of which only gets played on MMM under their “Rock’s Greatest Hits” format.

2GO, before the days of SCA & their centralised “one-size fits all” playlist for most of its stations, used to be quite a decent alternative to the Sydney stations, in which their playlist was very adventurous compared to now. Musically, I preferred 2GO over Wave FM, and in some ways, I still do, but not by as much as before. In fact, when comparing a Wollongong station with a Central Coast station, Wave FM is now more comparable with Star 104.5 rather than with 2GO.

KO was the one station I was desperately trying to receive over 2ST during tropo, but nowadays, I would rather have 2ST on 102.9, especially since KO became MMM & sounding rather generic under SCA.

In quite a number of ways, it’s quite sad on what commercial radio in Sydney & surrounding areas has become in nearly 15 years. :frowning:

5 Likes

I was also evidently wanting more 80s music on Sydney radio. Now, everywhere is awash with it. 2005 was just before everyone got uber-nostalgic for everything 80s.

The 90s are having their moment in the sun now, too, though it’s a little muted compared to the 80s revival which preceded it.

3 Likes

Something I have always liked about Move FM is there ability to have a good music playlist, but that’s about it I can’t say much for there shows/presenters (as they don’t have any except one) but music wise its good.

2 Likes

I agree. Most of the time every third song they play is an older hit that the metro commercials won’t touch anymore.

But still a LOT of potential for the station… fortunately their imaging is on point.

2 Likes

Really? I heard next to none when in market in January.

They have the same VO as ex-Mix now 2CH.

Cold IDs and sweeps only, but very slick.

1 Like

Well, it is 2ICE after all.

5 Likes

What prizes have you won on radio?

Here is my list,

150 dollars in i98fm with the quickie back in the early 90s
Dinner for two on the 2ue Stan Zemanek show.
80s cd on FUN superdigi.
Bee Gees cd on Dr Ross Walker show 2ue

Thats all I remember.

2 Likes

My old man won a copy of the PC game ‘Need for Speed 3 - Hot Pursuit’ off some spin-the-wheel type draw on Gold 104 back in the late 90s. I still have it too!

3 Likes

I’ve won a complete Paul Colman Trio back catalogue off 96.5

I won a Meghan Trainor CD off 4BC (too be fair though it was 4BC and there was not that many listeners calling up)

Ive won the challenge on ABC overnights at least twice - mostly books (could have won it a 3rd as well… can’t remember 100%)

various movie tickets

i think thats it.

Just out of interest (and what brought me to this thread) i went through 2 tunnels in Brisbane today with 1053am on - in the airport link it was rebroadcast but not in legacy way

4 Likes

A Sangean WFR-1D+ courtesy of 2UE at the Digital Radio launch in Sydney in 2009. A friend I went with won the same model courtesy of Triple M.

3 Likes

THAT is hilarious!

It would be akin to Triple M offering up Nat King Cole CDs.

3 Likes

Ah, so that’s who won. There weren’t many winners, fifty I think out of the whole morning that attracted thousands. CRA failed again.

How long did the WFR last for?

I won some laser skirmish passes, a few CD’s and some cinema passes from One FM back in the mid 90’s. I also won a Wazza the Rock Dog T-Shirt from Triple M.

4 Likes

Radio collector’s item!

Wazza passed away a few years ago. He ended up as a groundskeeper at chilly Meadow Flat (between Lithgow and Bathurst):

2 Likes

Besides the occasional lockup it’s still going strong today although Internet radio duties have been passed onto a Sonos system.

Are there any advantages of analog tv when compared to digital? Say you bought the most expensive analog tv could it have any benefits over digital. I cant think of any.

Yet radio in general has advantages being old school with sound quality when compared to the digital forms whether HD radio or DAB radio.

Did analog tv have potential if they improved the transmission?

Only if there’s a weak signal whereby the digital equivalent is below the digital ‘cliff’, at least with weak analog, you get some sort of a consistent picture.

And the sound doesn’t “pop” like it can on digital when you get a moment of pixelation.

But that’s about the extent of the advantages of analog.

4 Likes