Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

Especially given there is no ID of what the station is or where it is coming from… Just the same two songs with a 3 second gap between them

Which makes it fit perfectly into the category of a narrowcast station. No one can claim you’re running a pseudo-commercial service if you lack a music playlist that consists of more than two songs, nor regular station identification and other non-program material typical of a commercial licence.

1 Like

They need a NOVA inspired sweeper

“Never more than two unique songs in a row”.

:grin:

3 Likes

Amazing recollection, well done, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I remember ringing Wendy Harmer, she asked who could hear vega from the furthest location. I won, it was Coonabarabran, but they never sent me a prize.

5 Likes

No prize?? Tightwads!

I think I remember hearing that one about Wendy Harmer asking where it could be heard the furthest. Was on the first day on air?

1 Like

Angela Catterns did take some reception calls during the first hour. Someone said they could get it until Mt Victoria. Another said how much they liked the Dean Martin/Neil Diamond test loop

1 Like

It might of been a week or so later. Yeah she said would send something. But didnt.

Ah yes, it was Neil Diamond rather than Frank Sinatra.

Perhaps this should all go in the Radio History thread.

1 Like

Agree, let a mod know, shift this conversation of early Vega 95.3 there.

Bankstown and Surrounding Areas Community Radio Inc. 91.6MHz on air ATM.
Just a couple of days early from licenced: May 5 - 20th.
Transmitter: Sydney CBD. Arabic language.

1 Like

Special broadcast for Ramadan, most likely. These have been happening for years IIRC.

1 Like

I recorded this pre-launch loop if anyone wants it uploaded.

2 Likes

Yes. And Bassem El Mir also on 91.6MHz from May 20th until June 8th.
Ramadan 2019 in Australia will begin in the evening of:
Sunday, 5 May and ends in the evening of Tuesday, 4 June.

2 Likes

I can get 91.6 up here near Newcastle, but there’s a fair bit of static, certainly weaker than the Voice Of Islam broadcasts that have been on it.

2 Likes

Why can’t the muslim community station cover this sufficiently? How does the content differ?

Love to hear the Sinatra/Martin loop.

2 Likes

Here you go:
https://www.tvchannellists.com/files/Vega953Loop.mp3

2 Likes

Update to this now:

MAY 9: IT IS The Chronicle’s sad duty to inform readers that Loop FM is dead.

The viral Toowoomba radio station, that for a time only played two songs on repeat 24/7 before increasing the song count to three, was taken off air at some point on May 8.

Its owners, Southern Cross Austereo, have in its place begun to simulcast their station Buddha Hits on the 99.1FM frequency.

The move comes after the viral station earlier this week replaced Vanessa Carlton’s song A Thousand Miles with Phil Collins’ In The Air Tonight.

7 Likes

It’s amusing how much the local newspaper has been following this. @mcpaton must be chuffed at the interest.

2 Likes

We found it quite amusing!

3 Likes