Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

Fart noises would’ve been far more useful.

Surely ACMA wouldn’t be too fond of that

I suppose Bill might complain if they stuck Classic Rock Digital on there…

Does anyone know whether Kids FM is still on air in the Latrobe Valley (91.9)? The outlet at Leongatha (91.3) has gone.

I can’t recall ‘stunting’ (placeholder stations) being used in Australia before. The closest would be the Kiss Digital joke that Classic Rock Digital played on their first day. It’s a common practice in the US.

I recall that 2UW played a looped announcement for a couple of days before the launch of the disastrous Magic 11 in 1984.

2 Likes

This probably won’t help much, but a year ago it was Kids FM.
Maybe David Burton knows or has received a recent SCA HQ edict?

1 Like

While trawling through my old posts on Stereo.net (see this post), I stumbled on some discussion concerning the Vega 95.3 launch. Vega stunted with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin songs for about a week prior to launch. I was gullible enough to think that this was going to be the format :open_mouth:.

I guess Nova 969’s birdsong also counts as stunting.

5 Likes

I have a recording of that Vega test loop somewhere.
On a dx note I can recall someone mentioning on DTV they were able to get Northern Rivers 95.3 into Sydney one final time the very day the test broadcast started transmitting.

4 Likes

Especially given there is no ID of what the station is or where it is coming from… Just the same two songs with a 3 second gap between them

Which makes it fit perfectly into the category of a narrowcast station. No one can claim you’re running a pseudo-commercial service if you lack a music playlist that consists of more than two songs, nor regular station identification and other non-program material typical of a commercial licence.

1 Like

They need a NOVA inspired sweeper

“Never more than two unique songs in a row”.

:grin:

3 Likes

Amazing recollection, well done, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I remember ringing Wendy Harmer, she asked who could hear vega from the furthest location. I won, it was Coonabarabran, but they never sent me a prize.

5 Likes

No prize?? Tightwads!

I think I remember hearing that one about Wendy Harmer asking where it could be heard the furthest. Was on the first day on air?

1 Like

Angela Catterns did take some reception calls during the first hour. Someone said they could get it until Mt Victoria. Another said how much they liked the Dean Martin/Neil Diamond test loop

1 Like

It might of been a week or so later. Yeah she said would send something. But didnt.

Ah yes, it was Neil Diamond rather than Frank Sinatra.

Perhaps this should all go in the Radio History thread.

1 Like

Agree, let a mod know, shift this conversation of early Vega 95.3 there.

Bankstown and Surrounding Areas Community Radio Inc. 91.6MHz on air ATM.
Just a couple of days early from licenced: May 5 - 20th.
Transmitter: Sydney CBD. Arabic language.

1 Like

Special broadcast for Ramadan, most likely. These have been happening for years IIRC.

1 Like

I recorded this pre-launch loop if anyone wants it uploaded.

2 Likes