Random Radio

?? Who are they,

JK I’m keen to watch that movie though, also its funny but I can’t remember the last time I heard a beatles song on the radio myself.

1 Like

I heard Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da through the week on Smooth Brisbane in breakfast. While it’s not my favourite Beatles track I just loved hearing it on the radio and it did sound great.

3 Likes

Smooth Sydney plays them too.

Just checked the music logs and in the past week they played Something on one day and Hello, Goodbye on another.

2 Likes

Lots of Beatles on 4KQ - probably every day at least one song. I Am the Walrus this morning.

2 Likes

What happened to you!? :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah KQ does play them quite a lot and often the more obscure tracks you wouldn’t hear elsewhere.

Sort of on topic (although I guess it’s random radio) I’ve read some opinion pieces lately in the UK about BBC Radio 2 and how their music playlist has gone too young and also too obscure. You could always rely on them to play the rarer and more common Beatles tracks but lately not so much. Last time I was in the UK I really had noticed a change in Radio 2. It’s starting to sound just slightly Double J… ugh. Wasn’t impressed at all. It used to be such a treat to listen to but to me the playlist has gone awry over the last couple of years. Judging by a lot of the feedback I read I’m not the only one. A lot of comments around how it’s trying to be too cool and hip rather than the dependable familiar voice it used to be. Although the new breakfast show is still rating very well and is still great to listen too.

2 Likes

@AustralianAerial is our man on the ground and can listen for us.

What is the process that the BBC use to gauge feedback to decide on programming direction? More pressure should be brought to them there.

It’s very frustrating that they’ve lost their point of difference that attracted the established and consistent audience. Unlike commercial stations, they should understand the need to serve that sizeable audience.

Yet. we’ve seen JJJ change from its heydays in the 70/80’s to the bland alternative it now is. We’ve seen the ABC chase a younger talk market only to falter in Sydney, flounder in Melb with bfast and for Brisbane, 4QR’s worst survey last year since they 80’s. perhaps worse than the 80’s low point? @HUFF?

2 Likes

I’ll take a listen today, though with Glastonbury on results may be less than typical

2 Likes

@AustralianAerial, can you receive Radio Caroline on 648 kHz? I think the tx is in Essex. Caroline also have places on many DAB muxes throughout the UK, including London and Glasgow.

Radio Caroline is a good alternative to BBC Radio 2- it’s professional radio with a personal, laid back style- but definitely skews more towards mainstream rock and AOR.

1 Like

4QR’s 6.2 share in S3/2018 was its lowest showing since S1/1987’s 5.6.

4 Likes

Thanks, it was an abysmal performance and very easily avoided if they’d retained the same content.

1 Like

Beatles on 4KQ today Hey Jude and Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. :+1:

5 Likes
2 Likes

That’s good to know, I do find streaming services a bit souless to listen to and there’s not many of the rarer 80s tracks on sources like Spotify, particularly for Australian artists.

2 Likes

Yes- you have to go to YouTube for these. I was gutted when Spotify pulled ‘Computer One’ by Dear Enemy; hopefully it will come back soon. They still have ‘Bitter Tears’ by The Venetians, but not ‘So Much For Love’ or ‘Chinese I’s’.

Then again, most terrestrial radio stations don’t play these tracks either…

5 Likes

Ha, I see I’m not the only one disappointed at the lack of Venetians (and other Aussie 80s) on Spotify. I think ‘bitter tears’ is only on there because its on an 80s compilation.

3 Likes

Correct; the same with ‘Computer One’ which is off the ‘Complete Eighties’ compilation. Most of the tracks from ‘Complete Eighties’ are still available so obviously the rights for each track must be obtained separately. ‘Stutter Rap’ and ‘Uprock’ (Rock Steady Crew) are two other losses from this compilation, though these aren’t Australian hits.

SWR FM (Inphase, Awesome 80s) remains a good source for this material, don’t you think?

3 Likes

This raises an interesting point.

I use Radio App to listen to Nova. It features the artwork for the album or single.

Today they played Chameleon by Pnau but rather than show the artwork for the album or single, they had Triple J’s Hottest 100. It was like they were promoting another radio station on their station.

2 Likes

I remember having the Breeze on in the car once and artwork for a Smooth FM compilation disc came up.

2 Likes

This has been discussed before, previously someone suggested that RadioApp actually provides the artwork from a third party database. It’s not the radio stations providing it. I too saw Triple M with Triple J hottest 100 artwork once.

3 Likes