Random Radio

I haven’t heard any for years, but 4GY used to do it a lot in the 80s, using 2 towns starting with the same letter at either ends (extremes) of their reach. Even their standard id and news intro used to feature the regions they served - “Across the Wide Bay, Cooloola and Sunshine Coast”.

There was a particular female announcer/newsreader in the mid 80s who used to really drag out how she said Cooloola and Sunshine Coast and made it sound…umm…sexy. But that’s a whole other story.

2 Likes

Power fm Nowra use to say from Helensburg to Batesmen Bay from memory, i think inland to Goulburn.

2 Likes

2HC in Coffs Harbour occasionally air those sorts of local ID’s during their 12-3 weekday live and local show. From Coramba to Valla Beach, you’re on 2HC, for example.

4 Likes

2SM’s Talk Tonight does it in all their show openers.

2 Likes

Article from Radioinfo: Why are Bris, Adel and Perth Music Cities while Syd and Mel are Talk Towns?

2 Likes

4GY still does that in their sweepers :smiley:

2 Likes

5MU does similar, mentions towns at opposite ends of the area

2 Likes

Here’s one of them.

Thanks to @dxer2_2000.
4 Likes

because brisbane is an afterthought in talk - we get Jones and Hadley piped in from Sydney talking about sydney issues with the occasional Brisbane item in to make us feel like we matter. Even when we do get a local show it’s sandwiched between NSW centric shows.

2 Likes

Ah do they?

Must admit they’re not on my must listen list anymore. They were an awesome music station in the early to mid 80s but now just the usual NSW centric Super network talk station. Doesn’t sound good in Qld.

3 Likes

I’ve heard ABC Illawarra do an ID this afternoon during their local drive program, which went like “From Helensburgh to Ulladulla, and from Bowral to Wollongong”.

4 Likes

Is that Alan McGirvan on the voice over of the 5MU video from @dxer2_2000

On 4BC yes.

The ABC runs local from 0505 - 0605, 0615 - 0800, 0830 - 1100, 1400 - 1830, 1900 - 2200 weekdays.

The networking is highly irrelevant to Qld.

They were local from 12 - 7pm for quite some years and then the call came from Newcastle to run the satellite and that’s flip flopped in hours over the years.

Is there much local content of worth there or either pinched from the newspapers or that drearily soft lifestyle content of “tell us your favourite 70’s TV show” and similar?

1 Like

There is some worthy local content on the program, but not to the same extent as on its breakfast & mornings program.

In fact, you can listen back to get an idea of what ABC Illawarra’s drive program sounds like below.

2 Likes

The latest Sydney radio music crossovers has been unveiled: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/nova-and-kiis-share-over-25-their-playlists-sydney

Nova 96.9 shares about a 1/4 (25%) of their playlist with both 2Day (24.6%) & KIIS (26.1%), with both the latter stations playing far more unique tracks than Nova.

WSFM shares nearly a 1/4 of their playlist with both Smooth (23.3%) & Triple M (22.6%), and shares only 11.8% with 2Day. Both SCA stations play more unique tracks than WS, whilst Smooth plays less number of unique tracks than WS.

5 Likes

Remember a while back there was a discussion in here about how rarely any stations actually play The Beatles anymore.

Just got back from seeing ‘Yesterday’ at the cinema, and it made me think about that again. I know I heard a few ads for it on Gold, but certainly not them actually using it as an excuse to play some songs as far as I heard. Did any station leverage the movie to play a track outside their usual formats?

3 Likes

?? Who are they,

JK I’m keen to watch that movie though, also its funny but I can’t remember the last time I heard a beatles song on the radio myself.

1 Like

I heard Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da through the week on Smooth Brisbane in breakfast. While it’s not my favourite Beatles track I just loved hearing it on the radio and it did sound great.

3 Likes

Smooth Sydney plays them too.

Just checked the music logs and in the past week they played Something on one day and Hello, Goodbye on another.

2 Likes

Lots of Beatles on 4KQ - probably every day at least one song. I Am the Walrus this morning.

2 Likes