Random Mocks

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:895, topic:334, full:true”]
I wish Australian FTA networks would get into the holiday spirit and be a bit ‘festive’. While I don’t like too much screen clutter, a bit of extra flourish could be added to watermarks, that could fade after a minute or so.[/quote]I agree. I remember Seven used to put a little Santa’s hat on their PRG (and even their watermark I think?) in the early 2000s. Southern Cross used to do a similar thing with a little Santa’s hat on their Tiger logo. There’s really little no effort these days which is a real shame. WIN were really the only ones who continued to bother in recent years - which I think might’ve finally ended also.

2 Likes

A Santa’s hat would be an easy one - NBC usually have that

5 Likes

Ten should make their watermark a bauble, it wouldn’t be intrusive and could work quite well with a little animation

8 Likes

Video: http://sendvid.com/dc9ovdqw

I recreated how Ten News Brisbane would look like on analogue TV (2008-2013, any clips after 28 May 2013 are not included because, obviously, analogue TV was gone by then), complete with a fake VHS effect (Zampakid is the inspiration). Video courtesy of Australian TV Fan on YouTube.

I’m not sure, but I think in Brisbane, Channel Nine and Ten went permanently 14:9 in 2010 on analogue.

3 Likes

So… like this?

1 Like

I don’t ever think analogue sounded that bad.

5 Likes

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:899, topic:334, full:true”]
A Santa’s hat would be an easy one - NBC usually have that[/quote]Ten had a Santa’s hat sitting on top of their logo for both the PRG and watermark last year for a few weeks I think? First time since forever also. Apart WIN, Ten were the only one of the big networks who actually bothered (I wouldn’t count Nine’s shitty Id’s as bothering too much! :wink:).

2 Likes

I thought that it was Seven who’ve had the Santa hat on top of their PRG/watermark in recent years for a few days around Christmas? Although Ten certainly did do something similar, not quite sure whether that was last year or the year before. I’ll have to check the SydneyCityTV screencaps archive when I get the chance.

For a network which is arguably known for some of Australian commercial TV’s better On-Air Presentation, last year’s Christmas/New Year Idents from Nine were appalling! If Nine or indeed any network wants festive-themed On-Air decorations, my preference would be for something that’s reassuring and comforting for viewers after what has been a very big year for tragic news and celebrity deaths, etc.

Getting back on topic though…while the festive watermark mocks have been decent, I wouldn’t mind seeing one of our more talented mockers on these forums (@SydneyOnAirTV, yes I’m looking at you!) whip up more festive themed Idents or Lineups, if it’s not too much trouble of course! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The “original” Santa hat watermark:

2 Likes

[quote="SydneyCityTV, post:905, topic:334, ]
I thought that it was Seven who’ve had the Santa hat on top of their PRG/watermark in recent years for a few days around Christmas? Although Ten certainly did do something similar, not quite sure whether that was last year or the year before. I’ll have to check the SydneyCityTV screencaps archive when I get the chance.[/quote]I’ll save you the trouble:

Ten used this last year during December.

[quote]For a network which is arguably known for some of Australian commercial TV’s better On-Air Presentation, last year’s Christmas/New Year Idents from Nine were appalling! If Nine or indeed any network wants festive-themed On-Air decorations, my preference would be for something that’s reassuring and comforting for viewers.[/quote]So something like this then? Beautiful Halloween! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::ghost:

4 Likes

On the topic of on-air Christmas presentations, just recently came across this great little Southern Cross Christmas Id from either 2000 or 2001. I think this was a custom-made Id but happy to be corrected.

And the PRG I mentioned earlier.

5 Likes

My Christmas ident mock for the year! :slight_smile:
Watch in HD!

Caps:

12 Likes

I really like the mock but think it would be more suited airing on SBS. If Food Network were to have a Christmas ident, you would think there would be a food theme to it like a family eating Christmas lunch.

2 Likes

Good point jeffmister. Thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree. A quality mock but something food-themed like a family eating Christmas lunch probably would be better suited for a Food Network Christmas Ident.

Just out of interest, I wonder if the festive themed breakbumper that SBS actually aired last Christmas was the inspiration for your design, @SydneyOnAirTV? :slight_smile:

Actually no! :slight_smile: First time seeing that, and I have to agree, it’s a pretty classy ident.

1 Like

A more refined ABC NYE signpost:

Cap:

I look forward to ABC NYE coverage in HD!

7 Likes

Awww cute, it’s even got a little tie on.

What was it, they deleted it

1 Like

I’m wondering the same thing. :confused: