Random Mocks

It would’ve been fine if Channel i was a niche entertainment channel; it didn’t, as it was Channel 5’s only TV rival at the time in terms of general entertainment.

Having 5 and Channel i under common ownership (not gonna go technical, given SG’s small territorial space) would’ve meant programming changes to avoid any duplication. Channel U was kept on the air after the buyout, because…Chinese majority demo, and made it a channel for Asian dramas with Mandarin audio dub.

I cannot comment much on Mediacorp’s news output domestically, but I guess logistics and CNA might be the reasons News Tonight doesn’t rebroadcast late night on linear TV. If Channel i was kept, in my view, a News Tonight rebroadcast won’t be necessary.

1 Like

admittedly, a quick 5 minute job, but I do feel that this holds up to their legacy much better…

2 Likes

What if the blacks and yellows on KDKA are flipped the other way round? It looks more reasonable to me…

And this is made before knowing their morning news uses a yellow accent, which might have a similar open to this! :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

LVE from 7 Tasmania…

swoosh- your nightly news with Kim Millar, begins now…

I

17 Likes

Looks like the Sky News aston font. Nice touch!

2 Likes

Inspired by this, I thought about moving 10’s flagship newscast to 8pm, and renaming it to 10 News Primetime (as they aren’t exactly First in this case):

The show logo. Not too sure the font for 10 News First, so I substitute it with Barlow Condensed.

The open. I thought about making the ring around dark blue gradient, but it blends in with the background, so I decided against it. The evening sky background was from Unsplash (ironically shot in Canada!), overlaid in dark blue and purplish gradient.

The same colour scheme is also used in the headlines. Here you can see where the logo is inspired from - the underlines between the headline. I thought this looks a bit more authoritative, so I adopted it to the main symbol.

The supers, basically inverting the white ones in generic bulletins. In supers and bugs, the alternative 10 Primetime logo is used instead.

27 Likes

Awesome Idea. :+1:

4 Likes

Looks good! Run it locally at 9pm every weeknight/national weekends and you’d have a major point of difference

5 Likes

Discussions in Pres Cafe a few days ago sparked this random idea: What if Channel 4’s newest ident is accompanied with the window layout on South Korea’s KBS1?

Given both packages are based on squares in perspectives, I think this’d be a great match:

The ECP, utilizing the promo endboard layout. Unlike KBS’, I used the colour gradients on C4, where different ones can also be used to promote other channels (purple for E4 etc).

An alternative version with a programme thumbnail. Not too sure if the font size is too small though.

Promo supers, used in the middle of longer trailers.

And the text-based endboard. The 4 symbol’s placement is based on their old look back in late 90s.

Programme menu. The box animates differently than that of the ident, plus moves and highlights the show as the VO progresses.

9 Likes

this would work so well for Seven!

1 Like

based on the current BBC Sport graphics:

4 Likes

Just playing around with a sun icon I made

13 Likes

What if TVNZ brought back the iconic chart-based music show, Ready to Roll (RTR)? Here’s the customised RTR logo in which I made.

4 Likes

ala House Hunters/Perfect Home Asia. Very nice.

Great…. Can’t unsee now

1 Like

that’s a very 90s/early 00s looking logo

2 Likes

@MichaelPower Well, thank you. In fact, the customised RTR logo was inspired by the 2003 look.

2 Likes

Monday’s relaunch of the BBC News Channel was an absolute disaster, and an example of how to reallly botch a new channel relaunch. Mismatched graphics (Chameleon vs. 2008 globe and lack of real visual consistency) has led to think on a much improved solution that could leverage the most of the new BBC Chameleon brand system.

On working on this, I decided the 2008 globe from Martin Lambie-Nairn is dropped, 15 years of use is already too much and BBC News needs something new, but without compromising their existing brand equity (the china red colour and the David Lowe themes will be retained). Many of the existing full screen graphics are being refreshed, but the plain white backgrounds are replaced by the new white Chameleon background already in use in overall non-programming presentation.

I did refresh, however, the 2019 supers, giving them a Chameleon-style treatment and a new layout, inspired by Franceinfo, TVE Telediario, and the ESPN BottomLine. The permanent headline would have a much smaller sizing to allow for names to appear without any hassle. Additionally, a new BBC News DOG in the top left corner (similar to BBC Three and Four) in full-color will appear in all News Channel rolling content and, also, in the network bulletins (including Newsnight and Breakfast). The clock would rotate between GMT/BST, EST/EDT and SST, and the show marker would be placed next to it. The ticker would be retained during all non-news/feature programming, as well as the DOG, but in a much more transparent rendition.

Supers would have a blurred Chameleon background in dark red; this would become light red in the case of breaking news. These would behave as currently (scrolling up and down), but with animation reflecting the Chameleon motion style. The supers would be recolored for feature programming, and also include a graphic referring to the programme. This will be also the case for network shows.

When simulcast programming airs on BBC One/Two and the UK feed, the network would receive a ticker-less version of the supers (with added clock on Breakfast); on the News Channel, these would be formatted into the channel’s layout, but with its own coloring.

As for the opens, the globe is done and dusted. Instead, a real-time opener which would use imagery taken live from the BBC News website and constantly updated throughout the day. The BBC News Online icon would be centerpiece of the opening titles, transitioning (in Chameleon-style) to the main brand logo. When fading to the newsroom/studio cam, the look would expand to the Chameleon expanded brand layout: in the case of national bulletins, the 1/6/10 would appear in a box device, and disappear after the BBC/News elements scroll out.

When the main opener theme is done, and relaunching a practice done in the 80s, a voice-over introduction from Mishal Husain would be played: for national bulletins, this would be “The One/Six/Ten O’Clock News from the BBC, with (presenter name)”; for the News Channel, this would be "Live from London/Singapore/Washington, this is BBC News, with (presenter name).

Some news programming, like Newsday, BBC World News America and The Context, would also adopt a voice-over introduction, to cite an example “Live from BBC News in Washington, this is World News America, with Sumi Somaskanda”. In regards of non-core show openers (like what they did for The Context) would also adopt the Chameleon layout; many of the former BBC World News shows, as well as Newsnight and Sportsday/World Sportsday/Sport Today would only have a BBC logo in the upper part of the screen. This also applies to feature content.

Finally, for promos and presentation, there will be no change, except for the blip/sting, which would now have the BBC News Online symbol (with its animation) instead of the layered globe. The idents before programming would feature snippets of countdown sequences, followed, in case of feature programs, by the strand identifier.

And that’s a wrap for this!

24 Likes

Wow. Just. Wow. Really nice imaginations here! It’d definitely be a fresh start the cmbined channel needs.

The smaller headlines gave me CBCN vibes instead:

One thing to nitpick though is probably the app promo tag. Much like CTVN’s, I found it a bit too obstructive and bright compared to the dark reds nearby. Maybe consider a cleaner sentence?

Not too sure about the tiles titles though - I tend to think of Windows 8 instead of the BBC!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

With that in mind, I also made my version on BBC News a few months ago (back when TVTalkForum still existed, RIP), and updated tk the new branding:

The supers. I saw this video from Tera/Nyws and thought the outlined box and underlines kinda suit the Beeb, considering their underlined promo endboards.

The layout and font sizes largely follows the original, only adjusted to be more 16:9 safe. I merged the channel clock with the blocks, the latter of which can be flipped to reveal the clock.

I’ve also made a double-lined version - sorry for the mismatch of headlines! I later added a black gradient fade (as in their Instagram graphic) to make the ticker stands out, as well a partial swirl, a la the CBS News eyemark.

The same underline, plus the fade, can also be used on TOTH as well.

Breaking news, with an explainer shoulder graphic. I’d imagine the Breaking News graphic will be a swipe across the screen, then revealing the headlines, so I omitted the “BREAKING” line. For the ‘explainer’, the highlighted text animates when going through the main points, akin to what they’re doing with some of their social media videos. It also used the same gradient backdrop as the new channel’s.

The respondent tag follows the same layout as the heading. If it’s taken separately from the newscast (ie without ticker et al), the logo can be shifted into more DOG-esque, just to show it’s from the Beeb.

A person’s quote. The layout was based on the BBC’s layout on Instagram, which I thought was fitting to use on TV as well.

The shoulder quote graphic, inspired by that in the midst of the Downing St. troubles.

And finally, the titles. Hearing a suggestion in Pres Cafe to adopt the 2008 sting to the Chameleon branding made me whip up this. The faded 10 is inspired by the BBC Alba countdown, while the orange-red background is based on a online stream holding graphic captured to Pres Cafe.

What do you guys think? Definitely a less thought-out version than @Medianext.MX’s, for sure😂

17 Likes

These are both really good!

3 Likes