Random Mocks

I like it. Love the idea of dropping “FM”, as it’d also sound better going against Hit106.9 (New vs. Hit).

What if NEW & 105.3 were all on the same line, but still keeping the blue and white colour?

1 Like

Liking both the storyboard of the opener and the closer you made; however, I will suggest you make the animations a bit smoother and less faster; additionally, when the BBC logo appears, there is some misalignment, so some work to do. But it looks quite promising and certainly something to follow.

2 Likes

Quite a nice idea! I can imagine the blocks animate more like their Centennial idents, instead of the app animation though.

2 Likes

The timeline looks like Sky News

2 Likes

love it! be great to see how it would animate.

3 Likes

Some weird thoughts about this sequence: The timeline can be used as a breakfiller as well!

1: Label it with years instead of time, and it can be a return of the This Week in History segment back in mid-2000s, this time actually capable of describing a week of historical events as it scrolls through.

2: Change the exact time, and you get a timeline for brief follow-ups of developing events, just like how they do it on their website.

Probably a bit more interesting and informative than the countdown…

Staying with BBC News, what if they centred the rings animation in the new Context open?

The underline is based on some of their new promos, rather than their promo endboards.

Also made a boxed one for better readability, this time modelling more from Newsround instead.

Back to my own vision of the graphics, I was inspired by the new CBS News’ local graphics, specifically neatly tucking the live weather map with the supers in and out of weather forecasts when a severe condition’s coming.

Perhaps this style can also be used in live coverages with two locations, with a shortened headline super and a little PIP box in the corner, rather than overlapping the two footages?

The boxed alternative, keeping a consistent style, but I think the PIP may shrinks a bit too small because of it. What do you think?

3 Likes

Good ideas! I’ve been thinking about the countdown too, but just bringing back the menu from the 1999-03 News 24 days, but then realised that it’s not possible. I do miss the older-style breakfillers though - specifically the 1999-03 World one.

I prefer your Context titles to the official ones - I have to agree with you and hope their obsession with cornered graphics end soon…

I do like your graphics, but can’t help but feel the main headline strap is unreadable in some situations.

I’ve played around with some graphics myself (and thanks to @Biscuit45 for his opinions on it too <3), thoughts?

(two variants of breaking L3’s, because can’t decide how I want the gradient)

(same here during shows, because can’t decide how I want the gradient)

10 Likes

I prefer the one without the box, I think you are right in that the box makes it look smaller.

On another note, I am not a big fan of the lower third graphics. By not having a background on the super, it makes the red text very difficult to read as it blends too much into the background. The same looks to be happening with the location super in the top corner.

7 Likes

Thanks @MichaelPower and @TheChewyApple - yes, seems like the outlined box has this fatal flaw. The V1 of these actually had a semi-transparent black background behind the box, but that was a pain in the rear to put consistently in every scenarios and match the boxes, so I decided to drop it in V2…

I’m thinking of fusing the gradient background as the backdrop, looking something like this:

Ties up the Live tag neatly with the style as well^^

Fun fact: This isn’t the direct adaptation of the Chameleon backdrop - I came up with a flatter gradient when BBC Sport debuted new graphics, based on the one used by Bloomberg:

Probably deviates a little from my original pitch, but have at me.

6 Likes

Not much a of a mock, but…

I’ve occasionally pondered what a potential Harvey Norman branding refresh could look like if it was taken into consideration in the future to not only refresh their image, but aid in digital usage as well.

Their current logo has stood the test of time over the decades despite its retro appearance similar to that of Red Rooster’s.

Rather than stray away from that aesthetic with a sans-serif font as some companies have opted for which can appear as boring and unmemorable, perhaps they could opt for a new typeface which is both retro and contemporary in its appearance.

Perhaps something like this? (Larken Font Family):

Inspiration was taken from LG’s recent branding refresh announced with the last week or so, though they use a different typeface:

5 Likes

Looks too old for me, but then again they could very well do something like this.

2 Likes

Irony, thanks for the feedback regardless! :joy:

It can depend on the execution as some classic typefaces can look contemporary, but I had a similar vibe as well, through the other font doesn’t look too bad on the LG screen graphic.

1 Like

100% agree, it looks great on that LG ad, but that’s not their logo font. I think it works better accompanying rather than as the logo.

1 Like

It couldn’t of been that expensive could it? Here’s some intros for what it would of looked like if Win had used 10 Branding that I made PowerPoint.

Also, Win continued to use channel 9’s 2006 to 2008 intro music, channel 9 most likely didn’t care that Win was using it since they had abandoned it a long time ago.

2 Likes

I would hazard a guess that producing full-scale broadcast quality animated branding, intros, banners, studio and vehicle livery, other branded items such as mic flags, and promo packages for 20+ regional markets would involve a lot … a lot!.. of effort and cost. Much more than a powerpoint slide.

6 Likes

Still, Win could of just done something as simple as use Channel 10’s news music. Plus, they still made a little effort to of distanced themselves from 9 while they were a 10 affiliate. Its almost like Win just said they would go to 10 to scare 9, but then they had to go through with it.

Win only had news bulletins in 15 markets, I never saw win news promo for Newcastle and the Hunter while Win aired bulletins on 10. The markets that got updates only would of just gotten a Win News intro.

ok, 15 not 20. My point still stands. Graphics, titles and signage isn’t cheap.

1 Like

Nine went to SCA before WIN signed anything with Ten.

1 Like

I agree, but Win still could of made an effort to try to have Win News be more like 10 News. They had their chance, but they didn’t take it, which is such a shame. Plus, I’m sure Channel 10 would of given Win access to the graphics that were used for 10 News First, as they had no issue when SCA used their graphics for their no defunct regional news bulletins.

Yeah, granted - 10 could have provided graphics to WIN, but you still have to think about the cost of physical branding - signage, and whatnot, especially considering the less of an revenue source it would have to been an affiliate under 10.

1 Like