Random Mocks

Awesome work!

2 Likes

@utaussiefan the yellow Today Show logo would be better instead of white. But great stuff!

3 Likes

Nice look for the Today Show. Shows the city in the background.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I don’t like this mock at all.

The aspect ratio is wrong, the formatting of the logo/text/colour filter is inconsistent on the local titlecards. Design wise, I can’t really praise something which is just the logo, line and text.

6 Likes

i would stray away from the default MS Office font tbh

6 Likes

I apologise if I hurt some feelings, but I wonder if we’ve strayed from the point of mocks here a bit?
I don’t expect posts to be professional or perfect, but it would be nice to see some relevance or basic understanding of graphic design techniques.

Grabbing city scape photos, whacking a logo on it and adding default Calibri text is not design.

Read the well written Guide to Mocking.

Why didn’t you look up ways to turn the logo white? Even in PowerPoint (which I’m assuming you’ve used) there are ways to achieve this. If you want to achieve something, give yourself the opportunity to do so.

Also look up colour matching - White text on a yellowish/orange background doesn’t work. Your red line is also disappearing in a few of them.
I think you could have just done one or two designs of each look, people get the point. You’ve only really changed the backdrop or name plate of the show, and there’s not really a design difference between them.

This is just bad, I know you’re admitting it, but it’s bad. It’s illegible, spaced badly, terribly formatted…
It’s like something from the early 90s. I also don’t understand why this needs a picture of the city behind it? It’s been a long time since local lineups were branded in such a fashion. Why did you feel the need to share it? How does it contribute to the conversation here?

I would recommend both of you to give yourselves a short-term ban on copying elements from anywhere - make something that is completely your own, and if you don’t know how to do something, research it and work it out. Only share things that are going to contribute to the conversation.

14 Likes

These are really strong frames @phoenix.

I’d watch the thin lines and fonts on your lower 3rd, some of them are getting a bit small - especially the weather icon in the logo. (I really like the idea of incorporating those elements into the logo, it’s a clever idea).
The outline of MORNING might be hard to see, as is the BREAKING NEWS TITLE.
If you want a good guide to how it will look on an SD broadcast, try exporting a frame from photoshop with jpeg compression, set to level 8 quality. It’ll show you how thin lines can disappear.

The other thing, and I’m really sorry to say this part, but be careful of the shape of the super bar overall… Try to avoid circles attached to long round edged rectangles (they tend to look a bit phallic in nature).

Still, great colours, and I love the details surrounding the logo - it’s energetic.

8 Likes

Nice Job!

I think there should be a voting process that highlights outstanding mocks, similar to TVForum UK. Too many users are posting terrible designs on here.

7 Likes

Appreciate the feedback!

I wholeheartedly agree, as much as I do love a good outlined text, finding a balance on its weighting, aesthetic value, and visibility is super challenging. For context though, I always imagined the “Morning” text of the logo in the lower third supers would be animated to fill intermittently - so if I could find a practical weighting for it that’s readable when its static on the outline, I think it could possibly work!

I did have the fear regarding the phallic nature of the supers. If I’m honest, I’m not happy with the look, but I found it too be TOO similar to News First if i went for an angular/pointed design. Will need some workshopping.

Was just a bit of a fun task regardless. Thanks so much for the feedback !

2 Likes

It is fair to assume that whoever has the rights for the Commonwealth Games next year will host them from the studio in Australia. I’d even go as far as saying they won’t even have their own commentators for all events and will instead take the world feed with only hosts being part of the coverage from Australia. They might though have their own commentators for Athletics and Swimming- that would be it. Maybe expert commentators to join the hosts at the desk? Could also copy Tens the Commentators lounge. If they have anyone in the UK it would be the news reporters already there interviewing aussie athletes (if that is allowed)

13 Likes

That looks nice!

1 Like

OK, except the text needs to match the curve of the panel it’s on, and is there a logo for the 2022 games which could/should be used instead of just the text?

2 Likes

That text is actually from the logo itself, on both sides of the backdrop you can see the stylized B that forms part of the logo.

Agree that that part looks a little flat on a curved panel, but otherwise it’s quite a good mock. Nice job

3 Likes

It’s just a concept! It’s not meant to be perfect! Btw I have used the logo on the backdrop and that text is from the logo too

2 Likes

For those interested, I’ve quickly stitched together a PMFM logo (obviously an edit of the “B” in the B105 logo…) in the current Hit Network style:

MOCKPMFMLogo

Again, with so many station variants of this logo it’s uncomfortably easy to whip these up…

6 Likes

The colour scheme is nice, and even though the keystoning of the desk doesn’t exactly match (like others have already mentioned), it matches the design components of what we’ve seen on some of the Birmingham 2022 branding. So it’s a good start.

Does Stan Sport have the access rights for the comm games coverage though? I don’t think they’ll share… Normally broadcast contracts are set in stone when the broadcast rights are announced, I doubt they’ll be able to split or on-sell the rights. Plus, 9 will most likely use ‘9Now’ for any streaming services.

Few points about your mock:

• Never alter a logo. Ever. Don’t flip it, don’t rotate it, don’t warp it, don’t distort it, don’t separate elements, don’t re-colour it (other than maybe making it solid white/black)… Think of it this way: Someone worked hard to create it, so you need to respect it. There’s no reason why you couldn’t use parts of it to inspire your design, like triangles or lines cutting across each other…

• Your background behind the presenter is possibly a bit busy, do you think it needs all the elements you’ve included? Could you use devices to split the different sports/athletes up? It kinda looks like the rugby player is pulling on the gymnast’s hair.

• If you look at the previous broadcasts of the olympics or comm games, you’ll notice that the host networks very rarely use designs that are linked to the actual event branding. I believe it helps separate the broadcast rights of the sport events from that of the hosting sections, but I’m not 100 percent sure.

Take a look at their YouTube channel and Instagram, there’s some nice design inspiration there you can use.

2 Likes

I feel that the WWOS and Stan Sport logos are altered to represent that the desk is curved

4 Likes

I’m not referring to the WWOS logos or Stan Sport logos.

The ‘Birmingham 2020’ logo has been chopped and flipped in the background behind the presenter.
The Commonwelth Games logo is also behind the “Birmingham 2020” words on the desk front - combining 2 different logos.

2 Likes

Where was this energy with the @/AK_NEWS mocks…? Christ