Radio History

from SEN (Radio) post, my comment is more relevant to Radio History:

I used to listen to:
Radio Moscow
Radio Sweden
BBC World Service
Radio Nederland
Voice of America
AFRTS (US Armed Forces Radio and Television Service, they had live coverage of baseball and NFL)
HCJB Quito Ecuador
Radio Australia
Radio Canada International
Spanish Foreign Radio

Even mainstream publications such as the Age Green Guide used to have a short wave column which reviews stations and mentions their frequencies and times in UTC/GMT. Shortwave peaked in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

4 Likes

I only briefly dabbled in shortwave, this was my favourite station

KYOI Superrock

https://www.radioheritage.net/Story159.asp

7 Likes

Yes that was the only one I ever recall receiving too. It was pretty good.

3 Likes

Another good column was written by Arthur Cushen in Electronics Australia(I think). Once for an experiment I made a crystal set with a short coil so it tuned shortwave and I was easily able to hear Radio Australia, VOA and Radio Peking via a crystal earpiece. Lots of RF needed to do that.

Mid 1970’s for me - crystal set led to ham radio which lead to being a broadcasting tech. All ancient history now.

4 Likes

A brief ident from KYOI - video has most of the stations I regularly received.

4 Likes

After a long hiatus, i’m scratching the heads once again on how tf can guys at DMG/RGCapital/Macquarie could form an ultra-big regional radio network that would later be collectively known as LocalWorks
 only to be swallowed up by MMM.

Even when checking the RadioWest network (LocalWorks member for Southwestern Australia/Southern WA)

Let’s see:
Some of the Perth guys (6PR/6IX/6KY/6TZ/6PM) began expanding outside the metropolitan by building local transmitters:
6IX - 6WB/MD
6PR - 6TZ and later CI
6PM - 6AM/KG/GE (incidentally reunited somehow, thanks SCA buying Redwave)
6KY - 6NA

And then i got this: TZ, CI and NA broken off from their metropolitan parents, only to found themselves came together, and became sister of GWN as GWN Radio (until GWN sold off radio division in 1988)

WB and MD done the same, and coupled with WB - BY - SE, creating the Rainbow Radio Network.

GE later went independent, later switched to FM and merged into WAFM - later RedFM and Hit.

AM and KG also independent too.

Then someone else acquired Rainbow, GWN Radio, AM and KG, and merged these branches into a single RadioWest network (that was 1995, right?), and Radiowest later became a member of LocalWorks network
 only to be swallowed by Triple (A)M in 2016.

Just surprising that didn’t know why DMG/RG/Macquarie could group a lot of heritage AM stations across Australia into a regional radio programming service
 that, only to be “nationalised” by (A)MMM.

Hope @myfriend #myfriends here could help anyway

edit: it’s sad that i could now only embed once
 i had collected a lot of rare stuff from google T^T

4 Likes

welcome back myfriend @theduytv

here is a 6VA version of the Rainbow logo from 1985, then again in 1993

6VA_1985

6VA_1993

4 Likes

man i downloaded these from google just to put it on the post, but it said that i only allowed for 1 media per post @myfriend

‘Rainbow Radio’ is an appropriate slogan for an Albany station:

3 Likes

20220529_231651

i literally laughed hard after seeing this @myfriend

4 Likes

Apparently today marks the 75th anniversary of the first ABC news broadcast, although I was always of the impression that ABC carried a news service during WWII and was probably the main source of radio news during the war?

3 Likes

From what I’ve read the ABC act was passed in 1946 that declared that ABC should set up an “independent” news service with its own sources - ‘secure its news for broadcasting purposes within the Commonwealth by its own staff, and abroad through such overseas news agencies and other overseas sources as it desired’

So it was 1 June 1947 when ABC’s independent news came into being. Prior, a lot of the news came from newspapers with only a limited number of ABC journalists.

At a previous anniversary the news opened with “ABC Independent News 40 years old today”.

3 Likes

This Saturday (4th June) will mark 2ST’s 50th Birthday. The Nowra-based station launched on 1000 kHz (later 999 kHz from Nov 1978) & then launched its Southern Highlands (Bowral) translator on 1215 kHz in 1979, which later converted to FM in 1999. Their main AM service converted to FM in February 2021.

4 Likes

Eagle FM didn’t came on the air until January 1997, about 3 years after Kix 106 became Canberra FM.

4 Likes

Yep, definitely '97 as I remember promos on 2GN at the end of '96, foreshadowing the launch of the new FM station. It went something along the lines of ‘finally
the wait is over, a new FM station for Goulburn’.

3 Likes

well, this could be unexpected:
this is a memoir written by the (former) head of Vietnamese language service at SBS Radio Sydney (she worked in SBS between 1992 and 2009, although she had been a “collaborator” since 1990).
the article deals about the history of how Vietnamese language service on SBS emerged and expanded, and also partially the insight on the history of SBS Radio in general.
during most of 1990s and of 2000s, SBS Radio (whole division, not just Vietnamese service) was headed by a Vietnamese refugee. as a result, Vietnamese service expanded from only 3 times a week, then to 1 hour daily, before becoming two-hour daily as it is currently.
his tenure at SBS Radio also led into the launch of the SBS Radio national network, which was also driven by demand from non-NSW and Victorian Vietnamese residents who wanted to listen to SBS Radio programming. this finally happened on 31 July of 1994.

also:
you can see a photo of the writer’s working for “2EA” in 1990, when the program was edited by reel-to-reel tape.
the article also mentions the protest in 2003 because the SBS (Television - #tv-history ) showing Vietnamese news from VTV4 (as part of World Watch) - they believed that SBS was transmitting “communist propaganda” and succeed at making SBS drop VTV4 relay.
and, you guys obviously know why the “south vietnam” flag is displayed on article thumbnail, right @myfriend?

How times have changed? Just come in and make an appointment with the manager to give feedback.

Sounds like a great station
 Even with so much effort and focus it didn’t last.

4 Likes

I think the format was uncharitably described as ‘Tragic 11’ by many in radio circles at the time. I suppose they were comparing it to the true halcyon days of UW in the 60s, much like how we lament what 2SM has become. The fall probably wasn’t as great as a Caralis-induced nuclear warhead, though.

2 Likes

I don’t think it made it to that recording but Magic 11 was unusual with “News at 55” ie 5 minutes before the hour.

4 Likes

The only names from Magic 11 I saw from that list that I know off is Trevor Sinclair (2ue/4bh Breakfast) and Tim Webster (2ch Breakfast)

Magic 11 gave away a lot of money compared to the current Magic station Magic 1278 which is a shame

2 Likes