SEN (Radio)

You have a fair point in that it will be interesting with what they do with that last bit of DAB spectrum. It won’t be all that much though, as they’ll put SEN Melbourne and SEN Track on there like they do in Sydney.

If 4KQ is not going to continue in digital, I could definitely foresee them getting Niche Radio on there in Brisbane like they do in Melbourne [I seem to recall 2KY/Sky Sports Radio is the lessee for Niche’s Sydney space rather than SEN, due to 2CH’s existence, but your point stands]… if only to get radio for Italian and other communities back onto a mainstream space after selling off 1053 to SEN (Niche is on a mid-1600s frequency right now in Brisbane).

1 Like

I kinda get the views (although i disagree vehemently) that SEN “may” increase diversity. They may do this and they may do that … its all speculative. However based on their track record so far in glorious Sydney … all we have is a tiny *** rating niche narrow-appeal sports station on 1170 which punted a decent rating broad-appeal station into the weeds. Any SEN stations on DAB+ is not greater diversity…just more narrow casting versus broad casting. And why would more AFL and NRL in Brisbane be a positive? Bris already has good NRL coverage and, like Sydney, AFL is of marginal interest there. This southern Mexican SEN thinking is all wrong north of the Murray.

4 Likes

Again, ARN had to sell it. It’s absurd to then blame SEN for buying a station that was on the market. They bought it, they own it, it’s there’s to do as they wish. There’s no corporate responsibility or moralistic rule saying they had to keep the 4KQ format.

If SEN rates poorly, that’s their problem, Hutchy can deal with it.

Don’t like SEN, don’t listen simples. Complain to ACMA and make a recommendation that they implement a policy like Ofcom in the UK whereby stations have to adhere to a format based on their license.

9 Likes

Like wise for Melbourne as far a sport goes. NRL is totally irrelevant, besides we have necks here in VIC. I listened to SEN when it kicked off in Melbourne. Life circumstances changed and it is just the occasional listen these days. Pointless anyone having a crack at SEN for buying 2CH or 4KQ. Both had to be sold for entirely different reasons, so if you are hell bent on a rant it is EON and ARN that needs to be chased. Maybe Ray Hadley could thump the desk over it? How do you type upper inflection Ray speak, Should be a law against these ‘Mexicans’!

2 Likes

sorry i wholeheartedly disagree. if i was buying in BNE and offered a choice between 4KQ and MMM Brisbane for the same price, I’d take KQ any day of the week. KQ has (had?) a legacy in Australian radio, Laurel Edwards is a Brisbane radio institution (hell i used to listen to her in high school - now i’m married with kids)

how many people remember someone they called answering the phone with “4KQ’s my station” on the off chance KQ were calling? If i owned 4KQ there’s a few things i’d be doing to keep it on top and the first is promoting the hell out of DAB, including getting dab radios screen printed with the 4KQ logo and giving them out.

AM has a future but you need to embrace upcoming tech as well

2 Likes

Good point but the info nobody on here has is the sales figures for 4KQ or other metro music AM’s - I doubt they would be getting much of a slice of the 25-54 demographic spend which is where the $$$ are - that group have always had FM as their main radio band.

Disclosure - I listened to AM and shortwave when I was a kid - Radio Peking anyone?

2 Likes

Yeah but lets not confuse the legacy goodwill of the branding vs the transmission medium. I don’t think anyone is saying the branding is dead…

EDIT: Well soon the branding will be dead…damm SEN

Exact sales figures no, but you can probably guess when their 25-39 ratings are (were) usually less than 1% and 40-54 typically in the 2’s…

I tried to listen to SEN at 1:50pm. I think heard 9 mins of ads and 1 min of the show. Might be just unlucky.

2 Likes

Yeah backend of the half hour is ad-stacked.

2 Likes

That’s weird. Because SEN would have been playing live AFL from 1.45pm (first bounce), so I’d be surprised if they played 9 minutes of ads during play from 1.50pm to 2pm.

2 Likes

Which SEN are you talking about?

1 Like
  1. The og.
1 Like

I was listening to 1170 they don’t carry the AFL. 2SM take the AFL.

2 Likes

I’m actually not surprised. So that would have been the end of their NRL Crunch Time show, switching over to their NRL Nation coverage proper at 2pm (to lead into the first game at 3).

In SEN land, especially, that’s definitely planned as a hard-out point - and with no news, they’d take in 4 minutes of ads before the NRL coverage proper starts on the hour. (On weekdays it’s more typical that they fire off the ads a little early as the hard-out happens on the hour for news.)

Wouldn’t be surprised that they (planned or not) had to squeeze in another ad break before it.

I’m tempted to say “unlucky” given you caught the end of a long show but it’s enough of a common occurrence on SEN to say otherwise - they seem riddled with hard-out junctions on the weekend, what with so many combinations of programming within SEN itself (or so it seems), let alone others outside their network (like the Super Network stations taking NRL Nation and the ACE stations the southern equivalent).

It’s even worse on SEN Track because of time zones, possibly some sponsored betting updates being pre-empted in some states, as well as some Track stations taking mainline SEN programs (eg. NSW/QLD regional stations taking the metro schedule between 5-7pm) and some live sport - all of which tends to use a hard-out junction, 90% of the time with ads tacked on.

3 Likes

Magnificent ratings from SEN Sydney 1170 for the latest survey 3 reported today … 0.4 (down from 0.6 last survey). Oh yeah a really great connection from The Mexican SEN with Sydney listeners. Great use of heritage frequency AM 1170 to boot 2CH into the weeds (who was rating around 5.0 before the SEN takeover). I guess now BrisVegas can look forward to the same high quality SEN experience now that 4KQ has been flattened by the SEN crusher. What a joke SEN is north of the Yarra.

4 Likes

Oh so you are the One listening to 1170 SEN … tsk tsk.

5 Likes

absolutely pathetic…can’t wait for them to go broke

3 Likes

We can only hope

2 Likes

It’d be nice for ACE to then swoop in and purchase the SEN network IF they ever went broke.

That’d likely mean each market could have a Classic Hits AND Easy Music AM station (although I’m unsure what they’d do in Melbourne).

2 Likes