Random Radio

One day I might bring my small portable DAB radio to work again and listen to 4BH on DAB ,no use listening to 4KQ as they will soon be SEN radio :confused:

3 Likes

I remember in the 90s I got 106.3 FM from North Rocks in a Corolla stereo, probably 1993. I think it was before MIX 106.5 came on air.

2 Likes

I used to get it on my parents old Magna car stereo, there was four locations with semi to permanent reception of Kix 106,

1. Under our car port in Oatley
  2. Down near a Oatley station near the James Oatley clock
  3. Top of Hillcrest Ave Hurstville
  4. Top of Boundary rd Peakhurst and near Olds Park.

On my cheap portable with a telescopic antenna, AS was enough to bring it above the noise floor. When the east / west runway was in use there was enough aircraft nearby to have it popping up out from underneath the static.

Mix 106.5 going to air put an end to this.

Was Kix 106 a permanent signal back in North Rocks back then for you? elevation.would have benefited you more.

2 Likes

I remember having my Ps then, I was visiting a friend near Bettington Road and it has good LOS southwards. The radio was just an analog stock one (86 Corolla). I lived at Carlingford, I don’t think it was permanent back then. It may have been tropo maybe during the summer school holidays in 93.

I need to fire up my time machine to answer the question with 100% certainty :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I would say places like Glenhaven and Dural would probably have been semi to permanent back then based on Eagle / 2ST reception.

To answer @dxnerd I think the power levels of the Canberra commercial fm stations was probably about the same back then as it is now from my experience of the reception around Chev college in Bowral. When I was in high school we use to tour there and play Rugby Union. Kix 106 and Fm104.7 were weak but listenable.

Mix 106.5 / KIIS 1065 put an end to 106.3 Canberra being received in Sydney except for strong inland tropo.

Coincidentally, not long before Mix 106.5 came on air as an FM conversion of 2UW, Kix 106 (2KIX) changed its name, format & callsign to Canberra FM (1CBR), which had an AC format, a farcry from the previous younger-skewed format of Kix. I would imagine that it wasn’t really a big loss for you to not being able to pick up 106.3 from Canberra anymore, except from a DXing perspective.

3 Likes

Yes I do remember the switchover, and one day hearing the station had changed name and format. It was not to my taste but it was still of interest for dxing.

I remember Eagle fm launching not long after Kix switched over to Canberra fm.
So that was also dx worthy.

Sorry we are going more down the radio history line here, mods feel free to move this to the Radio History thread if you like.

1 Like

St. Andrews was still playing Oxley and Chev during my time there. A tough test of mettle for the city kids not used to real winter weather :wink:

1994 was the first year I really looked at DXing seriously; Mix 106.5 switched on in April of that year I believe. I vaguely remember the launch and being surprised at a new station up that end of the dial.

2 Likes
1 Like

My workmate was listening to 4KQ again today, I hope she realises that in just over 3 weeks they will cease to exist and become SEN radio :-1:
I’m not happy about it but I’m still enjoying listening to 4BH on my DAB radio

3 Likes

That’s the thing: I don’t think many would realise (unless they are advertising the crap out of it?) I think there will actually be some backlash in Brisbane when it does switch.

3 Likes

I think most listeners know. They’re mentioning it on air all the time on 4KQ that the end is near. There is already a backlash with a lot of unhappy listeners.

9 Likes

That’s why I’m not listening to them as I know they won’t be around for much longer.4BH are getting better,in the mornings there’s hardly any chit chat and ads :+1:a winner for me

6 Likes

I’m the opposite - listening to 4KQ more.

6 Likes

ABC Classic FM 93.9 in Hobart transmitting the RDS from 7HOFM following a power outage on Mt Wellington a couple of minutes ago… Sounds like their DAB-FM DLS to RDS converter has slipped frequency again lol, same as Sydney with Hope 103.2’s DLS on Triple J’s RDS a couple months ago!

6 Likes

Their clock time is also running a bit fast

7 Likes

Not the only hoax in Hobart at the moment…where is the sea level snow event that they promised?

2 Likes

Not in Hobart but quite significant amount of snow on Mt Wellington, there was quite heavy snow overnight according to the webcam.

Turning mediaspy into ski.com.au

4 Likes

In the wake of the closures of 2CH & 4KQ, Jen Seyderhelm had a follow-up opinion piece to the one she had written at the beginning of the year, in which she had claimed that 2022 is the year for classic hits.

6 Likes

Ha! She’d better be careful. She may just have given Hutchy an idea… here comes SEN1053 Canberra!!

2 Likes