Radio Data System (RDS)

Believe the sub-metros 3WBC and Casey Radio (3SER) do too

I noticed that ABC Classic Adelaide’s RDS is different to Brisbane with the station in Adelaide switching between ABC and Classic while in Brissy it is static on Classic.

Received during today’s opening to South Australia etc on several frequencies.

This one was from 95.3 Karoonda

This was 99.3 Streaky Bay (even though the on-air announcement said 99.7 Coober Pedy, there were local adverts)

1 Like

In Melbourne it alternates between “ABC”, “Classic”, and “FM”

Same on 92.9FM Sydney.

Additional info wise, we have “ABC Classic FM - Where Music Lives”, a Weather forecast (for tomorrow, when I checked) and “abc.net.au/classic” - not sure about other cities.

1 Like

Another thing I noticed today. Stations transmit a PI (Program Identification) that is a hexadecimal number. In Australia it is somewhat random (in the US can be used to generate the call letters) but may sometimes have some relationship to the frequency.

Mix FM Adelaide’s is clever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mackay DX into Brisbane last night with the RDS on SEA FM 98.7 showing AF set up with the low power Airlie Beach 92.3.

3 Likes

Well, given the following 4 stations are changing their station IDs this coming Thursday (which we may never see again), here for prosperity are some RDS screenshots taken from my car radio earlier today.

Couldn’t get any 2nd line text to display for Star (102.3), but it was there for 2MC…
The screen reverts to black and white when the car is parked (normally blue background.

Photos taken from Braye Park lookout, in the Newcastle suburb of Waratah, which is somewhat elevated at 75m, and has a clear take off particularly to the north and west. Sorry for the average quality, it’s hard to get good in car photos during broad daylight with so much reflection around!

2 Likes

I’ll try and get back up to Braye Park next weekend to see what the RDS names end up being for H!t and Triple M regionals…

I’ll be interested to see what they do for Triple M 100.7 (given it’s currently different to “2MC FM” RDS name as used on 106.7). Perhaps MMM100.7 ??

There seems to be some RDS issues with ARN’s WS and KIIS tonight.

Text has been stuck on the same “next” song all night so far on both (no “Now Playing” or anything else either).

WS has “She Works Hard For The Money” - Donna Summer.
KIIS has “Sugar” - Maroon 5

But everything is working fine on DAB+…
Weird.

Some RDS screenshots in relation to the H!t branding changes

There’s no mention of H!t in the SEA Central Coast RDS text (I thought Hit101.3 would have been incorporated into it).

With the branding changes, still a lot of inconsistencies with the RDS between the SCA stations. Some of the naming irks me more than it should…

Bendigo:
Hit BGO (Static text: hit91.9 - Hits & Old School + song info)
MMM BGO (Static text: 93.5 Triple M - The Greatest Hits 70s to Now + song info)

Albury:
Hit104.9 (Static text: _The Border’s Number 1 for Hits and Old Schoo_l)
105.7MMM (Static text: Lu & Matt for Breakfast, Weekdays from 6am)

Shepparton:
Hit SHEP (Static text: GOULBURN VALLEY)
MMM SHEP (Static text: GOULBURN VALLEY)

Shepparton earlier this morning:
HIT96.9 (Static text: GOULBURN VALLEY)
MMM95.3 (Static text: GOULBURN VALLEY)

Thanks!

Shame that only Bendigo gets Song info out of all of those.

I wonder why they changed the Shepparton ones?
I preferred the ones they had in the morning.
“Shep” just looks a bit silly.
Could it be to do with the repeaters up in the Snowfields?
(but then Albury have repeaters at Falls Creek and Omeo too and it still lists the frequency in the RDS).

1 Like

The repeaters have their own feed so could have different RDS. They are also now based just out of Mansfield- no longer on Mt Buller.

1 Like

It is a shame that not all have song IDs. The data comes through when streaming online (eg, TuneIn will show the title/artist & artwork no problems) so it appears the infrastructure is there, just seems to be the way they’re configured it.

I agree, Shepparton’s RDS could do with some improvement! Doubling up with the region name in the static text doesn’t make sense either. Not quite sure of the reasoning for the SHEP/BGO element (perhaps due to the overlap?) but I’d prefer they kept it simple and used the station’s actual names - “Triple M” and “hit96.9”.

1 Like

But then here in Newcastle, NONE of our 3 commercials have song info either!
NEW FM doesn’t have ANY RDS whatsoever.

Yet all around me, Gosford, Port Macquarie, Wollongong, all commercials there have RDS with song info.

Was surprised to jump in the car and see yet another RDS change for the Shepparton SCAs! Much better, great to see they’ve listened to my suggestion :wink:

hit96.9 (Static text: Hits & Old School)
95.3 / Triple M (Static text: Greatest Hits 70s to Now)

2 Likes

Well, I got a REAL shock this afternoon to find that Port Macquarie haven’t updated their RDS at all!

It STILL says 2MC100.7 or Star FM.

This was on my car radio which did detect the Hit106.9 change however… I tried retuning on 100.7 and 102.3 but it didn’t make any difference.

Does H!T Star FM 91.9 Bendigo have RDS?

Nothing on my SDR here in Melbourne.

The 105.1 and 106.7 services at Mt Yarrahappini have been updated to Hit and Triple M respectively.

1 Like