Radio Data System (RDS)

Makes a difference when the big boys from Sydney lend a hand.

The RDS station ID on Breeze 92.1 now reading Breeze92 (ex BreezeGC) but song info not working.

Found these two blog posts on RDS. The guy who writes the blog found that in Sydney three FM stations broadcast traffic data, 2DayFM for HERE, and Triple M & KIIS for SUNA. Fine Music 102.5 is the only Sydney FM station that uses a sub carrier for a secondary service, they broadcast an Indian station.

3 Likes

Heā€™s extrapolated the data, so itā€™s obviously as he says?

Iā€™m not sure when TripleM picked up the SUNA Traffic data, but in Sydney it was always broadcast by MIX/KIIS 106.5 & Hope 103.2.
I wonder why Hope lost/dropped it & TripleM picked it up?

Hope & MIX/KIIS have a different radiation pattern, but TripleM & KIIS have the same radiation pattern & share infrastructure (as he mentions), so if something happens they will possibly both go down.

2GO broadcasts SUNA Traffic on the Central Coast & KOFM broadcast SUNA Traffic in Newcastle.

Maybe Austereo got the SUNA Traffic for TripleM when they got the contract for Newcastle/Central Coast?

KIIS in Melbourne also broadcasts traffic data. Not sure who for but presumably SUNA the same as in Sydney.

Believe it or not, my Sony XDR-F1HD can hear the 92 kHz ACS on 2MBS; it is an Indian language station. It can be heard mixing with 2MBSā€™ audio on 102.4 and 102.6.

1 Like

RDS now on 104.9 Sunshine FM

I installed this for them last weekā€¦ surprised you guys didnt notice.

I will add track information to it soon

4 Likes

Nice work

I donā€™t know if has been mention anywhere but during a random scan on my clock radio last night I saw that 2CCR/Alive 90.5 has RDS, just ā€œALIVE905ā€ from what I saw.

Iā€™ve added it to the google sheet.

Iā€™m pretty sure that Alive 90.5 has done RDS for a few years now but the data is pretty much just ā€œALIVE905ā€ and ā€œYour Sound, Your Communityā€ from what I remember.

Yes, Alive 90.5 have had RDS for a good while now, as mentioned. Curiously, however, my Sony XDR-F1HD could not resolve the RDS until quite recently. My DAB+ radios had no such difficulty.

Excellent, good to see some of the community stations embracing RDS too.

4QS from Stanthorpe overpowers Sunshine FM here where I am, so I donā€™t get to check. Will see if I can check it out when Iā€™m on the road next

SWR FM and 2VOX (Wollongong) are also running RDS. As far as small community broadcasters are concerned, RDS is probably seen as an unnecessary luxury. Some stations may gain it in the course of broader upgrades to transmitting equipment.

Far better for them to concentrate on keeping their houses in order first - a good many of them donā€™t.

1 Like

Even commercial broadcasters that serve 400,000 people still subscribe to that theory.

Yes, NEW FM Newcastle, I AM talking about you!

2 Likes

with RDS encoders costing a few hundred there is no reason not to do it!

2 Likes

$300 is still non- trivial for a small, non- profit community radio station. No matter what the cost, it would be well down my list of priorities if I was running a community station. Letā€™s face it: the general public couldnā€™t care less about RDS; they are more likely to bemoan things like unprofessional presentation. Itā€™s only us geeks that are put out.

1 Like

Out of the many community stations broadcasting in Sydney, Iā€™m pretty sure that only Alive 90.5, SWR-FM, Fine Music 102.5 and Hope 103.2 currently transmit RDS. Some stations (particularly larger ones) might get RDS in the future with broader upgrades to transmitting equipment as you pointed out earlier, but aside from that itā€™s a fairly low priority in the grand scheme of things.

Iā€™d imagine that a good chunk of the general public donā€™t even know what RDS is.

They donā€™t know what it is, but will see its impact, as more car stereos come standard with it, and you see a bunch of stations show up by name and have extra scrolling text.

I think just Light and Joy out of the Melbourne community stations do RDS.

2 Likes

Disagreeā€¦I had ours off for 6 hours to a path fail and we got facebook messages and phone calls

2 Likes

That surprises me, though people complain about anything of course- especially on social media. Do you work for a commercial or community station?