Radio Data System (RDS)

Yes- listed in every stations book I’ve come across.

The high powered east coast/low powered west coast duo, and vice versa, is seen on other frequencies such as 558,702, and 720. There are a few genuine clear channels left such as 549, 594 and 576.

2 Likes

No doubt. I wonder if this FM set up is an indication of what we might see (or hear) on Triple Ms FM ambitions in Albany. RDS for sure but alot of behind the sences upgrades and expences… a story for another thread. > Blockquote

1 Like

Looks like the ineffective 94.5 2FBi RDS encoder has been switched off.

2 Likes

Perhaps they’re reprogramming it do something a bit more useful?

Station name and song info would be a good place to start!

1 Like

Yes let’s hope when it returns, it has all those attributes. :smiley:

1 Like

Hobart FM RDS:Hobart%20FM%20RDS

3 Likes

I know Hawkesbury Gold’s RDS has been mentioned here before, but has it been mentioned here that WHCR-FM on 89.9 also has RDS? With their PS, it looked like I had tuned into an American station before the RT came up.

Received literally next to the 2NBC transmitter on 90.1 at the water tower. I’m surprised 2NBC didn’t wipe out WHCR being that close to it, or at least stop the RDS from decoding.

For some reason, my radio doesn’t pick up the RDS on 2BLU, 2CCR, 2MFM or 2VOX. Is there something different with how these stations transmit their RDS?

6 Likes

I have a radio that won’t decode RDS on NEW FM, that signal still over deviates a bit, but it’s not as bad as it used to be.

That could have something to do with it, also the injection levels are another factor. I find that EAGLE FM and Hawkesbury Gold have RDS that decodes easily, more so than other stations.

2BLU needs a reasonable signal to get RDS where I am.

1 Like

Noted FBi’s RDS is back on again. Not sure why they bothered with lack of info. Noted their clock time is inaccurate as well (and not adjusted back to standard time); an annoyance for some car radios .

Earlier today that C91.3 didn’t have their song/artist info displaying, but functional around lunchtime (now). They must still be having some issues…

2 Likes

Spent days in Blue Mtns this January and never noticed once I don’t think. Is it new?

Agree. It’s not hard, set time to NTP server and go. Don’t tell me they don’t have connectivity at their TX in Sydney?

It’s WIN. Their whole engineering dept systemically has issues.

1 Like

Been there probably 12 months or so now I think.

1 Like

Ok, didn’t decode for me then in the car.

1 Like

Has anyone been able to pick up 2BS’s RDS in Sydney? It comes in with reasonable strength where I am, but I can never get RDS. It always sounds slightly distorted though (spillover from Smooth 95.3?), so maybe that’s hampering RDS reception?

1 Like

I received it fine on a car radio travelling on Victoria Road west of Hunters Hill to Ryde and south to Concord. It wasn’t distorted there nor in the licence area. The car has excellent FM selectivity.

Perhaps selectivity is needing improvement on that radio?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Crankymedia. 2BS sounds slightly distorted where I am on several radios. My car radio has no problem with distortion picking up signals +/- 200kHz from the other Sydney transmitters. I think the RDS decoder in my car is picky though, with several stations’ RDS not showing up even with good signal strength (like 2MFM).

1 Like

That’s because there’s an issue with the transmitter.
I’m going to reboot the exciter next week sometime, when I get approval for a short break in transmission to try to get the RDS back.

The 2MFM RDS is generated in the TX (exciter), it’s not externally fed.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ve not recently had an issue with 2MFM RDS with SDR’s & associated software. The portable radio also decodes their PS okay indoors.

Looking at some Sydney FM station spectrum recently on the SDR, I’ve been noting something odd with regard to 2MMM 104.9MHz. For some reason they appear to be using some kind of ultra wide bandwidth. The bandwidth (BW) is in the vicinity of 800-900kHz wide. Normally BW would be less than 400kHz - similar to the majority of commercials. The modulation isn’t extending the audio bandwidth out far, but there is some kind of lower level wide data signal piggybacked on the signal. What is this?

I recall a user in this forum mentioning that 2DAY was experimenting with an embedded visual video or pic data service. I’m wondering if it’s actually 2MMM that is doing this trial now? Can you enlighten us?

I’m surprised no one has reported this.

1 Like

Interesting, when did you last check 2MFM RDS, I checked in the car at work yesterday & there was no RDS indication, I’ll try with a different radio on Monday now you mention it.

I don’t know about 2DAY & Triple M, I haven’t discussed anything about that with them, both modulation monitors show that they peak at 140% regularly though.
I’ll ask & see if I get anything out of them.

3 Likes

Just now & earlier today. In fact I can’t recall it not having RDS since move to Artarmon.

That would be great. I’m quite curious at what they’re doing. I’ll post some 2MFM (RDS) & 2MMM example pics here soon.

2 Likes

You have a similar car radio to mine (Mitsubishi), which I’ve noticed doesn’t pick up the RDS on specific stations, even when the signal is strong. These are: 2VOX, 2BLU, 2MFM, 2BS, 2CCR. Maybe see if you can get RDS on these other stations in your car also?

It also possibly doesn’t pick up the RDS from the Orange commercial stations 2OAG and 2GZF (I was able to get RDS from the community station from Orange when I was in the Blue Mountains, but not the commercial stations).

I’ve checked the Tecsun just now and can get RDS on 2MFM.

2 Likes