Radio Data System (RDS)

Hawksbury Gold 89.9 has some problems with its RT feed to its RDS encoder.
Peculiarly it’s stuck on the song title & artist:
Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ - Michael Jackson

Another oddity is that I get AF alternate frequencies from their RDS as: 91.3 & 91.9
Anyone else notice that?

Stuck 89.9 RT problem now fixed.

This was a weird observation of mine while up on the Sunshine Coast today. 89.5 is JJJ from Nambour, but the car radio decoded an RDS signal. Couldn’t get any more than the PTY

I’ve suspected for a while this car radio can sometimes erroneously register an RDS signal, but it’s interesting that it showed the PTY as ‘Nation Music’, which is exactly what JJJ Brisbane on 107.7 comes up as

Freak coincidence, or is something going on?

1 Like

For those not local, I should note JJJ Nambour does not have and has never had RDS

Interestingly too, the FM sites at Dulong are all out of action overnight this week for planned works:

1 Like

Could be some RDS installation going on up there.

And that your car dashboard needs a good clean :grinning:

I was in Ipswich over the weekend and Hot 91 kept returning to Nova on my car. NFI why!

2 Likes

Must be an AF error?

I’d say so. My AF only works when selecting a preset. So flicking thru and landing on the Hot 91 preset it would retune to Nova.

1 Like

I was hoping no one would pick up on that last point :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve only just noticed this today :face_with_monocle: They are still using the Greatest Hits slogan.

2 Likes

Referencing the RDS list; the RT used to recently be “…Greatest Hits 70s to Now” so playlist & RT updated to reflect their target demographic of listeners.

Off air late tonight in Brisbane are all the ABC FM and TV stations, SBS FM and TV plus Nova and 97.3. DAB unaffected.

1 Like

2 April looks like a good date to remind again how far Mt Nardi signal covers and why News Radio should never have been turned on there.

Everything on the ABQ tower then?

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

Can’t recall if this was mentioned, RDS on 4WK Toowoomba translator is now ‘4WK 95.5’.

Previously ‘4WK’ only.

Good job @gordo92

3 Likes

Thanks @crankymedia, this was so if we decide to put RDS on the other 4WK FM translator’s you will be able to distinguish which one your tuned to :grin:

4 Likes

Personally I think it’s a bit redundant to display the frequency in RDS. The obvious exception would be if the frequency is an integral part of the branding, e.g C91.3.

2 Likes

If you have the room, why not?

There’s 8 characters available, so for a station like 4WK, plenty of room left for that without making it look cluttered.

1 Like

Every radio with RDS capability has a digital frequency readout on FM so the listener already sees the frequency in the display. Just because you have 8 characters available does not mean you need to fill them. The RDS name should state the name of the station, nothing more imo. A station can put additional information in scrolling RT to their heart’s content anyway.

Not all, both my car radios replace the frequency with the station name when an RDS signal is detected. Normally not a problem except when AF starts kicking in and flicking you onto different frequencies

5 Likes