Radio Data System (RDS)

Going by this Snow Fm Perisher must be received off air from Jindabyne rather then Mt Roberts.

Also it looks like Snow Fm must have changed their Jindabyne setup. From memory 94.7 was received off air from Mt Roberts.

They must now have a direct STL to the tower on Jindaboine Hill for the 94.7 RDS feed, and a second STL from Jindaboine Hill to Mt Roberts for the 97.7 RDS feed.

I take it 92.9 Snow fm Thredbo is still received off air from Mt Roberts?

3 Likes

Would make sense as the studios are in Jindabyne now I think.

1 Like

2XL added RDS today on all 3 translators on 92.1, 96.3 & 98.7

3 Likes

Thanks!

Is it just station name, or anything else such as song info?

yes, just station name like Snow FM

2 Likes

Do they have AF enabled?

given they only have the PSN & the same strange RDS behaviour as Snow FM, I’d say no (see here https://youtu.be/NYYWE5pX7Uo ) to see what I mean.

1 Like

02 6456 1555

I’m sure they’ll get back to you with an answer.

Interesting that most RDS signals across Brisbane don’t display the correct time.

SCA and ABC are one hour ahead. Nova a few minutes out. 973 on the wrong time altogether. From Ipswich, only River is on time.

How hard is it to configure? Connect to a reliable time server or whatever is reliable, broadcast quality.

1 Like

Even down here in NSW, some stations don’t have the right time either.

There must be more to it than just connecting it to a reliable source.

1 Like

Yeah
don’t get me started on that one :slight_smile:

Sydney problem too with several stations

2 Likes

I emailed SWR about 3 months ago about wrong time on RDS, they fixed the time almost straight awayâ˜ș.

2 Likes

I think the 4WK RDS Time signal is off due to not having internet at the site to sync to a NTP server

3 Likes

Fair enough. I’m impressed the Mt Kynoch translator has RDS and with plenty of detail on it too.

1 Like

Went for a drive up around Mt Glorious yesterday (and while quite pleasant, the name night oversell it a touch in my view :grin: ), and for the first time put to use the car radio with the Alternative Frequency function. Annoyingly the stock radio in the new Lancer doesn’t have the function, so this was the aftermarket Pioneer unit in my old bomb.

RadioTAB 93.7 from Toowoomba was receivable up near the cafe, and good enough to flick me over 89.7 Beaudesert when the signal dropped off. I can’t imagine there’s too many locations where those two signals overlap but I found one!

Similarly Zinc 96.1 from Gympie also flicked me over to the Noosa translator on 100.5 when it was inevitably swamped by JJJ Lismore (it was actually quite difficult up there to get Zinc to win the battle). On the Pioneer the transition in both cases was seamless, it was only me watching the display that made me realise it’d changed

4 Likes

Great result that @4TAB-1008kHz would enjoy.

3 Likes

2BS 95.1 has switched on RDS this morning. No data being transmitted except PTY which = NEWS

1 Like

2DAY getting into the Mardi Gras spirit

2 Likes

How come your presets 2, 3 and 6 don’t have station names like the other ones do?

Somewhat off topic but the DAB+ (and possibly RadioVIS on FM, if 2DayFM/SCA is still transmitting that) slideshow images have also been changed:

2DayFMSpecialMardiGrasSydneyDAB%20SlideshowMarch2019%2312DayFMSpecialMardiGrasSydneyDAB%20SlideshowMarch2019%232

Program info has been infused with the “2GayFM” name on both FM and DAB+ but the station name remains “2DayFM” on Digital Radio.

1 Like