Radio Data System (RDS)

With 93.1 changing from Sea FM to MMM , I’ll be interested to see if the Alternate Frequency is continued and switches from the current 101.9 to 103.5 MMM Fraser Coast.

3 Likes

No it wont

1 Like

Why not? Aren’t they both MMM stations? Why wouldn’t you want to hand over from one area to the other?

1 Like

Different stations with different programming.

1 Like

Get it now, thanks.

I find (as I’ve mentioned before) that Hitz FM 93.9 Bundaberg requires a very high signal level before RDS will decode. The comparison station is Sea FM (soon to be MMM) on 93.1. Both stations are just 3kw and at 300km probably at the limit for RDS reception for me for that power, but given the same signal levels, 93.1 will decode immediately, while HItz, if it decodes at all, takes a while to even give the PI.

Looked like this to night

Later, the signal level lifted slightly

2 Likes

Look, it’d be held together by sticky tape and have lots of untidy wiring like the photos of the new 4CC studios :wink:

1 Like

I’ve just done the drive from Brisbane to Gladstone and echo your observation of Hitz RDS is spot on. In Childers I got SEA quickly but not Hitz.

For 3kW transmissions they get out a fair way :+1:

2 Likes

Also 4TAB Gladstone has RDS now. Can’t remember if this has been mentioned yet

3 Likes

I’ve added the station to the Australian RDS List (Google Sheets), see top of thread for link.
Feel free to add any other missing details or stations to the list.

The differences between the stations are:
There are slight differences between both stations output
Hitz RDS is free running (remember its vital to lock your RDS to your pilot)
Hitz total mod is through the roof!!

3 Likes

Is what why it sounded a bit louder/overmod? Didn’t sound as nice as Sea.

Dunno what processor Hitz uses, but Sea has an Optimod 8600S running the same preset we use across the rest of Qld. Should sound pretty uniform to our other stations.

2 Likes

I agree Hitz total mod is through the roof and the stereo pilot / RDS decode takes way to log as well. Been like that since the present engineer been there as well. With SEA changing to Triple M in 2 weeks it might be time to do a bit of work on Hitz.

Its an Omnia 6

1 Like

Has MMM CQ changed boxes or still the 5500, just sounds different lately.

The poor old Omnia 6 :slight_smile: had a hard life.

Gladstone has 8600S and Rocky are 8600. The Gladstone ones are fairly recent…

1 Like

Thanks Matt for the update, it looks like I’ve been out the loop for awhile. It still sounds fine but have noticed the AGC jumping up lately but could be due to the loud production at times. Anyway were suppose to be talking about RDS which has been working very well on both Hit and MMM CQ.

1 Like

*is having a hard life?

1 Like