Radio Data System (RDS)

A couple of new RDS logs for me from Mt Pleasant Lookout (or Billy’s Lookout as Google Maps has it).

104.3 Power FM

For some odd reason, 2EC (105.9) has a space in front of it.

6 Likes

Wave FM 96.5 RDS currently active?

Yes, it was yesterday anyhow.

1 Like

So I found out by accident yesterday that Triple J only broadcast RDS in Sydney (and not where I was, in Newcastle)

Good to know.

96five Brizzy :slight_smile:

@crankymedia I too was wondering if 96.5 Wave FM RDS might have been off for a few days (a week ago).

I can confirm that the Wave Fm RDS is currently working as I am receiving it on my Digitech Fm Dab+ Hifi tuner.

I find that Wave Fm has to have a very strong signal for RDS to decode. I98 does not need anywhere as strong a signal for their RDS to decode.

1 Like

Thanks @Ant5476.

I was suspecting that was the case re need for strong signal to decode the RDS with Wave FM.
MPX spectrum I’m sure would also confirm it.

I find that every station needs a strong signal for RDS to decode.

I find if the station isn’t co-channelled, decoding the first line RDS isn’t too difficult.

Last week 2XX-FM Canberra was decoded here from near Newcastle with a fairly weak staticty signal.

But i usually find the 2nd line RDS is more difficult to get.

1 Like

Also see

3 Likes

4WK’s reception improved enough for RDS to decode today on 95.5

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve since managed to find places to receive this fairly clearly around Brisbane. I think they use the RDS well for a talk station, particularly promoting the alternative frequencies (which being a Caralis station there are plenty). My only suggestion for improvement might be to tailor it on a time-basis to provide the show details and call-in number

I presume this is the only 4WK repeater with RDS enabled? Come to think, it’s probably just about the only Super Network station with RDS enabled

A lot of the DX stations that I receive are co-channeled.

Also. I do narrow the bandwidth down for clarity.

1 Like

I would say you are 100% correct on that.

NEW FM Newcastle should have been first cab off the rank for RDS on the “Super”’ (ordinary) network being its largest FM market, so to see 4WK to get that “honour” for a translator was quite a surprise.

1 Like

There’s a couple more slides from 4WK.

RDS is available as it’s new equipment.

It’s a given Bill doesn’t spend money if it doesn’t have to be spent.

2 Likes

A quick rough snap of E-Skip DX reception of ‘More FM Northland NZ’ received with the portable radio earlier in the month showing the RDS PS. Received under an apartment balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean with just the receiver’s own whip antenna.

3 Likes

That’s a great catch!

Whereabouts did you get that?

Queenscliff, Syd

1 Like

In light of the change of the digital station name, the RDS station name on 91.5 Toowoomba now reads ‘Triple M’ ‘Country’ as alternating titles. The radio text seems to simply display ‘Today’s Hottest Country’ during the brief times I have tuned in

Pity about the name change really. I thought it very appropriate that Toowoomba had a radio station named ‘The Range’ :grin:

9 Likes