Radio Data System (RDS)

The Things You Do For Love eh brother :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I tried this the other night for fun :wink: with the hit network but still missed three stations - hit105 Brisbane that carried a different program and couldn’t get RDS on 100.7 Darling Downs and 97.5 Dalby. 919SEA isn’t technically part of the network but it carries all the programs plus some troppo for 107.9

7 Likes

Fun indeed, well done. What are the SEA stations with PI code 4931 and 4909?

1 Like

Frequencies 90.9 and 93.1 - GC and Bundaberg

1 Like

Mmmm…??
Shouldn’t that be respectively:
90.9 4SEA Gold Coast with PI of 4909 & PS of SEA-FM
&
93.1 4RGB Bundaberg with PI of 4931 & PS of SEA FM

I guess (as an after thought) the format of the PI (re state postal code (1st digit) & remaining 3 digits representing the freq does make it clear.

We really need ‘AustralianAerial’ to get the RDS Spreadsheet updated & available
for us all to edit with the flood of new RDS material that has become available over recent weeks
from many of us.

Helps to avoid possible confusion …

Thanks for RDS updates TV.Cynic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes - that’s what I am saying in my post.

2 Likes

You called?

Updates I finally got around to making this evening:

• Completed migration of Queensland stations from the pre-v2.0 list.
  • Added listings from January 2018 observations made here / in the DX thread.
  • Updated some listings: repeater stations within a station’s license area are listed in that licence area.

Also worth pointing out that I think it’s best to sort the Remote market stations (4BRZ, 4RBL and 8SAT) by the areas which they broadcast to - ie: 4RBL 99.4 and 4BRZ 100.6 Mount Tambourine are included in the Gold Coast listings, for example. In a similar vain, I’ve combined the Sunshine Coast entries, despite the differences between the Gympie and Nambour licence areas.

6 Likes

Hi @AustralianAerial.

That’s really nice work you’ve done with the Spreadsheet update.
Thank you - it’s all greatly appreciated.

The revision update worksheet & colour coding is excellent.

I should be able to find some time this weekend to update some NSW RDS entries that I’ve taken notes of or from screen captures taken over past couple of weeks.

Will notify the group when done.

Cheers.

1 Like

Some new RDS logs for me tonight.

Though reception wasn’t good enough to get 2nd line text.

4 Likes

91.9 SEA PI is WILD (because wild was part of some staffs past)
92.7 MIX PI is WNBC (for those private parts fans)

I set these ages ago … im guessing they wont change :slight_smile:

1 Like

2XX has no second line of text or if it does, just their callsign, ring them to confirm.

1 Like

I notice that some FM stations display the Australian State or Territory name with their RDS packets.
That is to say at least one piece of SDR software I use displays this for some stations.

2DAY FM is one station & Triple J in Sydney is another, both displaying:
“New South Wales”. Handy for DXing.

Does anyone know from which RDS code/s this state/territory name is derived from?

2DAY-RDS-201801A-JPG

2 Likes

Hi all,

I believe I’ve just finished my RDS updates to the ‘Australia RDS List’ Google Sheets by: @AustralianAerial

Updates have been applied to several stations in the Illawara, Sydney & Central Coast regions, plus a couple elsewhere. Also some minor display adjustments elsewhere.

Hopefully someone from WA & the NT can apply some updates in future to get those regions up & running with some data for the sheet.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Whilst in the car in western Sydney today, got RDS on Triple M Orange… It wasn’t easy to get though, so I didn’t really try for Hit105.9

6 Likes

Broadcasting live and updating RDS live

5 Likes

In case you are wondering, Albury has full RDS support on both SCA stations, while Hit99.7 in Griffith has the station name. It has me confused as to why Hit93.1 doesn’t have any form of RDS.

Also, if anyone is monitoring Hit104.9, they are starting to get adventurous in displaying Radio Show information and information related to on air promos. I only see this stuff in the car, and I’m time poor, so I’m not pulling over to make notes, but I thought I might give someone else the opportunity. (I live near Wagga but commute to Albury nearly every day)

2 Likes

Noticed today that community station 94.7 The Pulse in Geelong has RDS now. As far as I can tell they just have ‘THEPULSE’ as the station name and scrolling text is just “Geelong’s 94.7 The Pulse”.

96three and 3GPH don’t have anything.

5 Likes

I noticed they had it on when I was down there over Christmas, good to see another community station implementing it. Now leaves 96.3 as the only station off the stick at Murradoc Hill without it, but we’ve seen a lot of Christian stations implement it over the past little while, so they too may not be far off

This did get me thinking though, there can’t be many high powered TX sites where all FM services have RDS enabled. The only one I can think of is Bald Knob on the Sunshine Coast, now that Salt 106.5 has RDS (Hot, Sea, Mix and Sunshine all have it too). Of course it’s made easier there that the ABC services are broadcast from another site at Dulong, so they’re not dragging the chain

2 Likes

Artarmon (Sydney) has:

92.1 2MFM
92.9 Classic
94.5 FBI (no text but RDS is enabled)
95.3 Smooth
96.9 Nova
97.7 SBS Radio
101.7 WS FM
103.2 Hope
104.1 2DAY
104.9 2MMM
105.7 Triple J
106.5 KIIS

Koori Radio doesn’t run RDS but it transmits from Elizabeth Street in the CBD. 2000 FM doesn’t either; it transmits from the Optus building at North Sydney. 2MBS and 2SER are also located away from Artarmon; both are running RDS. So, in this at least, ‘the winner is Sydney’.

3 Likes

Great post, I had forgotten that some of the city-wide community stations don’t broadcast from Artarmon. I stand corrected, and the Knob thoroughly defeated

1 Like