Radio Data System (RDS)

Is that a Blaupunkt radio you have there?

The screen display looks similar to the one I just bought (Model BR 80 DABC).

No itā€™s a Sangean wfr-27c

1 Like

Yes disappointing. Had a strong signal. Perhaps itā€™s an old FM transmitter incapable of RDS injection?

1 Like

Great :slight_smile:

Yes, it does.
I have received Hit93.1 (then Star) a couple of times over the years up here just south of Newcastle.

Ohā€¦Interesting. RDS on 93.1 Wagga Wagga must have been off yesterday when passing through or the strong (inter-mod) signals from the Willians Hill transmitters might have prevented RDS reception of 93.1 (trig site) when I checked in town. The RDS light on my receiver didnā€™t come up. Iā€™ll try again another time further out of town when next passing through.

Thanks for the welcome feedback.

Sorry, I mean yes it has a strong signal, not that it has RDS.
Sorry for the confusion.

There isnā€™t- nor has there ever been as far as Iā€™m aware- RDS on Hit 93.1 Wagga. It is probably due to an aged FM tx as someone has already mentioned. It is anamolous, though, given that stations like Charters Towers and Moranbah have had it for years now.

1 Like

Yes,.anamolous is one word for it.
Inexcusable is another.
Particularly in a town the size of Wagga Wagga.
When as you point out many smaller stations have it.

But then NEW FM Newcastle has never had it either, and it is much bigger than Wagga again.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong; but using an old FM TX shouldnā€™t really affect whether a station can transmit RDS or not. When SCA upgraded their Wagga studios, the techā€™s installed a new FM Processor at their TX site (an Orban Optimod 8600 I believe). Most FM Processors have RDS inputs, and according to Orban, the 8600 has a built-in RDS encoder, so theoretically all they would have to do is punch in the appropriate radiotext and info, and ā€œswitchā€ it on. https://www.orban.com/optimodfm-8600-1/

1 Like

3WBCā€™s PI code for RDS is 806E.

Eagle FM Goulburn being received with RDS tonight.

Thereā€™s no longer a breakfast shift promo rotating on the first lineā€¦ Just a simple Eagle FM.on both lines

2 Likes

I feel like that if I was a RDS programmer, I would put the location of the transmission for DX and info sakeā€¦

That would be a great in an ideal DX world & be of great assistance. That said I thought each FM transmitter was supposed to have itā€™s own unique identifier by way of the PI code or am I missing part of the puzzle? Either way the PI codes do assist with IDing broadcasts & locations.

Unfortunately not. For example, ABC stations seem to have the same PI across each network eg 54C4 for Classic and 2D5F for triplej.

2 Likes

Currently down at Killcare Heights on the Central Coast and i98 is being received with RDS right where the local News Radio should be. But no song info being displayed.

Makes me think News Radio is temporarily off air. It was there late this morning at least.

EDIT: Turns out that News Radio WAS on air - Killcare Heights has a good LOS to the News Radio TX too, so to get i98 there with RDS over the top of it was quite remarkable.

2MCR Campbelltown now has RDS.
Looks a bit odd though

3 Likes

How confusing is this?

As received now on 7SEA Burnie 101.7. Station idents all 7HO as well.

Yet last week I received this

1 Like

Also today received 2 stations on the same frequency at the same time both with RDS after changing antenna direction. Hit 96.1 Mount Gambier and Zinc.

3 Likes

Iā€™d say the receiver first picked up 7HO strong enough to detect RDS but when it received SEA it wasnā€™t strong enough to detect RDS and so left 7HO on the display?

1 Like