Radio Data System (RDS)

No - mystery solved - the station was actually 7HO Hobart but the list I am using from ACMA doesn’t have the station listed so I thought it must have been SEA FM that I had received last week.

1 Like

A couple of RDS from today

Melbourne

3 Likes

Which flow fm transmitter was this from?

It was received on 95.3 which gives 2 possibilities; Karoonda in SA and Speed in Victoria.

I logged it as Karooda because at the time I was also receiving Adelaide, Mt Gambia and 5EFM from nearby Strathalbyn.

2 Likes

On Flow FM, does anyone know if their Healesville TX on 106.3 has it? I couldn’t quite get a strong enough signal when down there to be sure

Yeah, I too noticed Hit 93.1 Riverina doesn’t have RDS, a real anomaly given every other Hit station in the region seems to (Canberra, Albury, Shep, Griffith, Dubbo). I also didn’t detect RDS on 94.3 from Gippsland when down Melbourne-way, is that because there is none or was it just Newsradio from Ballarat mucking with my signal?

1 Like

I am not aware of any Flow FM TX site in or around Melbourne.

Newsradio Ballarat is a bit of a funny one, once I received with an antenna pointing to the east and now it’s Gippsland.

91.1 ABC Central Victoria has a PI that of Triple J.

As per @tamago_otoko, flow fm/8SAT has a transmitter on Mt. St. Helens, which I’ve picked up on the western outskirts of Melbourne despite the signal being aimed at Healesville. 89.3FM was planned for Marysville: I can’t recall if this ever went to air, or was it impacted in some way by the Black Saturday fires?

1 Like

That might have been the one that I got one day. Tho it was around 98MHz if I recall correctly.

2LIV 94.1 ‘Pulse 941’ Wollongong now has RDS.

Displays PS as: PULSE941 on my portable receiver.

I’ll attach a pic later.

3 Likes

Thanks for info & enlightening me.

I’m aware that some of the major Triple J stations across the country having/had RDS, but I’m only aware of ABC Classic FM - Sydney having RDS, of all the ABC Classic FM transmitters. Are there more?

Melbourne does, I believe done at/around the same time 3JJJ added RDS

2 Likes

ABC Classic in Brisbane as well.

1 Like

I’m a bit vague on 8SAT 89.3 Marysville as well. I thought The txer/site was destroyed in the fires of 7/2/2009, but I thought it had been temporarily off for a long while before that.

UG FM have a transmitter on 98.5MHz in Marysville

2 Likes

98.5 is on air in Marysville; 89.3 definitely isn’t (last checked October 2017).

The Flow FM at Healesville has been there for donkey’s years- in fact, there’s an old “Freshstream FM” sign as you’re driving into the town from the eastern side. With a good receiver it is readily heard in the eastern half of the Melbourne metro. I don’t know if they’re running RDS- perhaps a native Melburnian in need of an escape from the summer heat can check it out.

3 Likes

Here’s a pic of the Pulse 941 RDS capture from yesterday. Jan 6th.

2 Likes

That’s a nice looking display.
Plenty of info all at once.
I usually have to toggle between time and frequency on most of mine.

What brand/model is it?
Does it display the 2nd line RDS info too?

EDIT: I think I’ve just realised it’s the Sangean ATS-909X

It’s the earlier model ATS-909.
It only provides the PS, but apparently it can be hardware modified for the PI codes etc.
It converts all the PS letters to uppercase.

1 Like

Just to correct, it’s Mt St. Leonard. No volcano either!

3 Likes

only a minor error on my part there :blush: :joy: