Radio Data System (RDS)

I’m surprised WSFM 101.7 in Sydney don’t use AF for their repeaters, (at least I dont think they do, as it has never worked in my car). I don’t think their Macarthur (88.3) and Hawkesbury (99.1) repeaters even have RDS.

On a side-note, SWR 999 had issues recently when 2SER started transmitting RDS. 2SER had a certain setting set to default on their RDS encoder (separate to AF) which caused some radio’s to switch between SWR and 2SER!

1 Like

Lol! I guess there’s only 1 letter different!

1 Like

Their Canungra translator on 93.7 syncs perfectly with 99.4, so if you’re driving west towards Beaudesert through there it switches perfectly without you even knowing. It was just 90.5 being out of sync, hence the change

A comment on their Facebook page seemed to suggest that the separating out of 99.4/93.7 and 90.5 may have something to do with programming changes on the respective channels in the future, but that may be a discussion for another thread

1 Like

Interesting, I don’t hear enough demand from clients on air for that now, Dunsinane and Tamborine sites run the same ads.

They do. It’s shit. I’ve driven into Penrith tuned to WSFM, and this bloody radio switches to 99.1 and absolutely refuses to switch back to 101.7 even when the signal is stronger.

Even worse, the fucking thing actually switches the radio preset to 99.1!

I’d imagine this would be fine in a country which has broadcasters who care about RDS, but here it is infuriating!

2 Likes

If the repeater is using the off air signal as it’s input, they might need to add the 101.7 frequency as an AF entry. That way once it has flicked over to 99.1 it has 101.7 as an AF to switch back to…

1 Like

Some car radios allow you to turn the AF off.

My Ford Focus does.

1 Like

Yep, that’s exactly what their problem is

1 Like

But do you understand that after all these years, such attention to detail seems to be too much for engineers at this station? Surely it’s been made mention before to the station?

Ask and you shall receive - Hit96.9 have finally added song info to their RDS. Works a treat, big thanks to the techs if they’re reading here! :raised_hands: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

99.3 Northside Radio has activated RDS, and for the first time has decoded on the Digitech Dab+ Fm tuner at Stanhope Gardens.

It displays
FM99.3
With the following scrolling text-
northsideradio.com.au

2 Likes

Am now getting that up here near Newcastle with the ducting that is occurring tonight

2 Likes

A first time RDS catch for me tonight :grin:

2 Likes

As I mentioned in the ‘AM & FM DX’ thread, I got e-skip from New Zealand today.

Reception was momentarily strong enough to suggest that RDS may have been possible (assuming that their RDS system is the same as ours and works on Australian radios).

Though it wasn’t displayed for the station I received (91.6 The Breeze from Invercargill).

Has anyone picked up RDS from New Zealand?

1 Like

RDS is RDS… there are very slight differences between RDBS and RDS

Injection levels and how its generated and implemented … keep in mind NZ has a lot of asynchronous translators which may be affecting DX Decoding.

2 Likes

RDS now on Rhema Central Coast 94.9 with program info

3 Likes

Interesting developments with 6iX’s 105.7FM translators in the outer northern & southern suburbs of Perth:

It’s incredible to see a commercial AM station, especially a metro one, use RDS on their lower-powered FM translators.

The only other example I can think of is 2ST down on the South Coast of NSW, in which its 91.7 & 106.7 translators use RDS, including the ‘Now Playing’ song info. Interestingly, their 102.9 Southern Highlands translator doesn’t use RDS.

2 Likes

Does 4TAB Brisbane count? It is technically commercial and the 89.7 translator has RDS (though at 5kw not that low powered).

2 Likes

Of course, brilliant use of RDS there.

2 Likes

What’s on the 4TAB RDS?

Race results? :grin: