Radio Data System (RDS)

No RDS on Ultra. Used to be 7065 for the brief time it was on (PS “106five”).

4 Likes

Salt was last observed having a standard level RDS subcarrier, so the other station must have had a RDS subcarrier that was much stronger, a station with an abnormally high subcarrier level. Today’s Country 94.1 has one of these & sometimes I would receive the RDS of Today’s Country with Pulse 94.1 audio.
Looking at the ACMA FM list there, in Vic, there’s Flow FM Birchip or ABC Goulburn Murray. It’s doubtful it’s either of them.

3 Likes

Update: the code switching is still happening on Salt with the antenna facing away from the station and using the SDR Console software. So I feel it is a software glitch - it seems to be like a RDS reset for a fraction of a second a couple of times every minute

3 Likes

Agreed - ABC GM has no RDS, and Flow uses a different PI code

2 Likes

Cool. :+1: Might be worth trying RDS Spy & seeing if same issue happens with it too. Then if also happening dropping Salt FM a quick email with attention to their tech.

1 Like

XLFM running ads that they now have AF on all their transmitters.

3 Likes

So if you have a radio with RDS, you don’t have to change frequencies?

2 Likes

Assuming your RDS equiped radio has it yes (mine doesn’t.)

3 Likes

98.9 4AAA Brisbane appear to have been messing with the RDS again. The awful dynamic PS is back, rotating their name as ‘Triple A’ ‘Murri’ ‘Country’ and also rotating song name and artist through there.

Their PI code is FFFF which as we know causes issues with a lot of receivers too.

Don’t know why they messed with it, as they had it all working very well in the past. Unless something has reverted back to a default maybe?

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: :person_facepalming:

Wonder if they’re on a standby RDS encoder they’ve forgotten to reprogram?
You could drop them a brief email.

Any rectification to the Salt 106.5 PI code problem?

3 Likes

Just heard a lengthy promo on GNFM (streamed) promoting their newly installed AF switching between Goulburn (107.7) and Crookwell (106.1).

It even included instructions on how to turn on AF in a car radio.
Never heard anything quite like it!

Edit: Managed to get a recording of it… (MP3 - file size 2.13 MB 56 seconds)

3 Likes

least its good to see a station promoting it and using it effectively

2 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing @Radiohead :slight_smile: :clap:

I’ve never heard anything like it either. But it’s great that the station & Capital Radio are advertising it & informing their listeners to get the best out of their travelling & radio listening experiences. I note no mention of the “RDS” term. Maybe introducing too many terms to listeners would only serve to confuse? :man_shrugging:

I think only this past week in one of the MS radio threads @dxnerd or someone mentioned that the AF feature & announcements were also implemented on the Cooma broadcast FM transmitters of the Capital Radio network.

It’s good news all-round for listeners.

I suspect it’s still only a very small number of current modern vehicles that wouldn’t now have RDS (& AF). I can only think of an MG vehicle from a couple of years ago.
Maybe other readers know of more vehicle models without RDS? It’s something I’ve never investigated.

2 Likes

XLFM/Snow FM would both really benefit from AF… with one main TX and a lot of smaller relays whereby there would times you’d still need to revert back to the main TX when travelling between relay towns.

3 Likes

Smooth 91.5 PS is now Smooth.

3 Likes

Amazing effort, thanks @Radiohead.

Who is the voice talent? Unique, only here within that network.

2 Likes

Would be welcome in Armidale RA1 if Caralis goes ahead with the inefficient and ridiculous FM conversion with a ‘main’ TX that won’t adequately serve any population centre. Lots of switching to be had.

2 Likes

Hopefully they’ll at least implement RDS AF on their/those transmitters to make it easier for travelling listeners in the coverage area? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I reckon there’s a very good chance that 94.3 and 100.3 will both have RDS at the new site. Also agree that AF will be essential too, particularly in Armidale CBD and north side of town.

AF would be a Super Radio Network first, I think?

3 Likes

Ron E Sparkes

1 Like