Radio Data System (RDS)

No, I checked… didn’t have it.

2 Likes

Another comment, I think Rebel and Breeze have the same PI code everywhere.

As when I go from 93.7 Tenterfield to 97.1 Stanthorpe etc, the RDS on the car radio will initially display the RDS from the last tuned in Rebel station, be it REBEL963 at Goondiwindi or wherever I was last before updating to the correct one.

1 Like

Correct. AJ set it up that way for that purpose & adds RDS AF where appropriate.
He also updates his radio station entries periodically on our Australian RDS List.
Keep an eye on it & as a reminder for all it’s here.

I updated your latest RDS updates.
BTW does your vehicle display the RDS AF frequencies?

4 Likes

I don’t think it displays the actual AF frequencies.

I’ve turned off AF in my car as I like to choose what frequency I want, even if the reception is worse :smile:

4 Likes

Well, talk about polar opposites.

I have gone from comparative RDS heaven (Stanthorpe with 5 stations having RDS for 4,000 people) to hell (Armidale - 0 stations with RDS for 30,000 people). Not even a LPON has it here.

I can’t think of a larger town that doesn’t have any stations using RDS.

Side note: 2CBD Deepwater 91.1 and Glen Innes 105.9 only has RDS in Glen Innes.

7 Likes

Tune FM I thought had RDS in the ‘Dale.

1 Like

It wasn’t there for me last night.

2 Likes

101FM (4CBL) have changed their RDS RT to: “it’s all about the music!”

Does that on-air slogan sound familiar to anyone in the Southern Highlands of NSW?

… ‘Music FM’ :wink:

2 Likes

“its all about the music” is Vintage FM’s slogan on RDS

1 Like

Yes. Thanks for that reminder. :slight_smile:
Well that makes two using for their RDS RT, plus Music FM using it as
an on air slogan. Uniqueness doesn’t tend to stay around too long in the radio industry.
I can’t recall Music FM ever using the slogan on their RDS text though when they had RDS.

1 Like

SYDNEY Gore Hill: Triple J & ABC FM have increased their RDS subcarrier levels.
They’re not back to their original high levels, but an improvement on the low levels
recently noted. Eg Triple J RDS levels increased ~8dB.
Thus RDS decoding should be quicker & improved compared to recent days/weeks.

2 Likes

Not an exciting post about RDS but my radio at work managed to catch some RDS from SWR 99.9 today (after an antenna swap yesterday, it was borrowing an old antenna from a Sony radio) but it only seemed to get the station name and PTY (Varied Speech):

Surely this isn’t right? It’s possible that the radio isn’t attempting to display it if it’s not received properly.

And yes, that is a RDS logo there to indicate that it’s being received.

3 Likes

Maybe the signal wasn’t strong enough to decode anything else?

As @Radiohead mentioned its likely to be a low signal or poor signal quality issue being the reason for the non display of the RT (Radio Text). If you switch to SWR after receiving RDS from a strong RDS eg Triple M, how long does it take to display the PS (Station name?) for SWR, if it takes sometime then it’s likely a poor signal received (or crap sensitivity with the radio or receiving antenna issue) etc.

SWR does send out artist & title info out their RT & this might be a long message at times. If it’s a long RT message then decoding might take a while with marginal reception. And something else to note, RT in most receivers & tuners will only display RT when the entire RT message is 100% successfully decoded. How long have you left the radio on SWR for RDS to decode? Try leaving on the radio unattended for say 30 minutes.

Something else I noted with some RDS stations is the usage of different ASCII characters for the end of RT message. There is a remote chance with a minority of poor tuners, that a particular ASCII character isn’t recognised by your radio, but I haven’t encountered this in practice to date.

2 Likes

It was on for 6+ hours. I did see that the station name disappear a couple of times indicating that it did lose RDS at some point.

3 Likes

Noted ‘Hawkesbury Gold’ 89.9 back with RDS this morning.
PS: HAWKGOLD
RT: The Hawkesbury’s brightest new sound

3 Likes

Can you view RT from the higher powered Sydney RDS stations?
Something I noted this evening looking at some of the ASCII characters in the RDS data stream of several Sydney RDS stations was that most of the low powered FM RDS community stations don’t send a [Carriage Return] at the end of their RT messages, but simply use [Space] character/s.

Can you receive RT from the stronger Sydney FM stations?
If so it’s possible (?), & I’m speculating here, that your receiver is looking for a [CR] at the end of a RT message to display the RT message.

That said, I think you also have a sensitivity problem with your radio or antenna problem or in need of a good clean strong signal to display your RDS properly.

Does the above help?

2 Likes

Just had a quick check now. Wasn’t getting any RDS from WSFM. Hope 103.2 showed radio text. Fine Music showed name and PTY only.

1 Like

WSFM RDS was working fine for me this afternoon.

Good. Hope 103.2 sends the [CR] after the RT message like all Sydney High Powered FM community stations.

2MBS & FBi are the only two stations in Sydney that don’t provide RT.

I have a high BER with WSFM at my location, so RT isn’t very reliable. But there’s plenty
of other high powered stations with a combo of lower modulations & higher RDS injection levels that should provide good RDS RT decode possibilities, eg 2DAY, 2SBSFM, Smooth, ABC Classic etc.

2 Likes