Radio Data System (RDS)

PS Changes noted in Perth-
92.9 Triple M have gone to static PS - Triple M

And 6iX Rockingham have added a fullstop to their PS (now - 6iX.)

Wondering if anyone north of Perth can check the Waneroo 6iX transmitter to see if its the same as Rockingham.

3 Likes

Great :+1:
I’ve just included the changes in our group’s RDS List for you.
I also earlier corrected the alt. colour formatting on the ACT/NSW page.

Can I ask @Informer re Perth RDS.

• Do you know of the PTY of 88.5 VCA?
  • And is 96.9 SBSFM using a PTYN? They were last noted outputting a Grp code 10A
    suggesting a PTYN in use. PTY last noted as Culture.
2 Likes

I’ll have to get back to you. My RDS SPY software only just works with strong signals at the moment.

For now, I can add PTYN for -
Hit 95.7 Bunbury - POPMUSIC
The Wave 91.7 Mandurah - GOLD.

SBS Perth is permanent signal at my place, still using group 10a. Will have to wait for some DX to catch VCA.

3 Likes

100.3 4BAY Brisbane has changed PI code to 4064 (ex 9999)

4BAY20221001RDSBRIEFj

Also KIIS 97.3 Brisbane has changed its PTY to Culture

2 Likes

Why O Why, actually I think I probably know why, someone at ARN doesn’t know RDS vey well & doesn’t know about the European RDS & US RBDS PTY codes & program types.

PTY Code 7 is Culture for RDS (Aus), but Adult Hits for RBDS (US).
ARN use Deva Broadcast DB4004 Monitor Receivers in most cases & they display the RBDS (US) PTY program types, so they probably think they’re transmitting a different Program Type to what they actually are.

5 Likes

I’d say your probably correct.
It was only a recent PTY change too, previously the PTY was Pop (PTY code 10).
Maybe a new technician or the new US equipment showed the US PTY of ‘Country’ & tech thought, oops how did that happen & incorrectly changed the PTY based on the US PTY, as you say.
There’s a lot to learn about RDS. It’s one of the reasons I included TAB #12 on our Aussie RDS List to display & explain the PTY codes & adopted usage in Australia etc.

BTW 4AAA 98.9 Brisbane has switched back to static PS.
How many times is it now that this station has flipped & flopped between static & dynamic PS?

5 Likes

It’s been many times now since it was first turned on. The static PS is welcome, with the artist-title info showing in Radiotext as it should.

And yes, KIIS having the same PTY as SBSRadio is rather amusing. Both appear as ‘Culture’ in my Mitsubishi. The other mainstream pop stations (Nova, B105) all have ‘Pop Music’ as 97.3 used to as well when it was still called that.

3 Likes

Deni

!
Echuca (which is stuck on this song)

5 Likes

I am assuming the brazen 2QN FM RDS is on the hijacked ‘narrowcast’ station on 106.1?

3 Likes

I think the last two images might both refer to Echuca, i.e, to their
respective frequencies. I know @djpower didn’t mention frequencies,
but I think based on an earlier Media Spy reporter’s posting I suspect
2QN Echuca might be 102.9 & the other: Edge FM on 103.9 also Echuca?

I looked at ACMA’s radio register & latest TV Book, but neither lists the callsigns
for these outlets. An oversight?

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be the first… their listings are not as accurate as they should be.

2 Likes

Yes 2QN FM was Echuca was surprised as I didn’t know they had a fm repeater

2 Likes

New for 2022.

4 Likes

I’m wondering how they feed the signals down to Echuca, as 102.9 is pretty close to 102.5, so I’d imagine they wouldn’t be able to feed Edge FM off air onto either 102.9 or 103.9.

2 Likes

The Echuca repeaters are news to me. There is also the long standing Cobram translator for Classic Crock/Edge on 88.5.

2 Likes

I was just looking at the ACMA list, and re Echuca only just discovered that EMFM (3GRR) 104.7 has it’s transmitter at the 2QN/Edge Office (250 Anstruther St ECHUCA) … so I’m guessing the new 2QN/Edge relay will be there too.

2 Likes

RDS Clock Time (CT) should now be accurate (to the second) across the Triple M network of stations that host SAT NAV traffic data (Group code 8A).
Their CT was previously 1 to ~2minutes slow across the nation.

I can confirm that Sydney & Central Coast time is now accurate on Triple M 104.9 & 107.7MHz.

Can anyone with an SDR & ‘RDS Spy’ software confirm that Triple M RDS CT is now accurate across other cities?
Eg.
Adelaide
Brisbane
Bendigo
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Newcastle
Perth

I also suspect RDS CT might now also be correct (to be confirmed) for:
96.5 Wave FM Wollongong
103.1 Power FM Ballarat
94.9 River FM Ipswich
& unknown commercial contracted FM RDS stations in Canberra, Darwin & Hobart.

Would be good to receive feedback on this from others in the above areas.

2 Likes

Righto, back in the game with RDS Spy. Turns out, SBS Perth PTY and PTYN are the same, Culture.

No time decode in RDS Spy, but they have kindly adjusted the UTC offset for daylight saving, making the clock 3 hours fast for WA.

3 Likes

:+1:

That might suggest SBS’s RDS data &/or CT originates from Sydney?
Difficult to know how they configure their all of their RDS equipment across their network.

2 Likes

Yeah. I wonder how the other non-AEDT states go with RDS clocks.

Actually, we see all different combinations of UTC offsets and times here in the west. Not just on RDS, my TV time is correct but the program guide follows AEDT. I’ve given up playing with that one.

I’ll collect some RDS clock data for WA and post it up here.

3 Likes