Radio Data System (RDS)

It’s the first time I’ve seen it on my car radio.

I don’t understand why someone would have gone and changed it back after you fixed it, or whatever. Weird.

1 Like

Possibly had something to do with the transmitter crapping itself a couple of months ago, or has it been an issue longer than that?

2 Likes

I haven’t been able to decode any RDS since Tuesday on 97.3 in Brisbane.

They had a massive outage at around 10.13, dead air for 4 minutes… then the crash carts, before 5 seconds of the newsreader and then back onto the playlist.

3 Likes

This is what it looks like to me

2 Likes

Oh that’s right, occasionally I’ll get that one line of text… seems that they had a massive crash

1 Like

The dynamic feed is working on DAB with song title etc

2 Likes

Hey @TV.Cynic while you’re there can you post the abomination that is what 98.9 have done with their RDS in the last couple of weeks? Song titles/artists as alternating words in the PS

2 Likes

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Noticed that Sunshine FM’s RDS isn’t operating atm.

3 Likes

Thanks and that’s horrid I know, both 2NUR and Port Stephens FM have tried that mess here, thank goodness it’s gone now.

1 Like

SBS Canberra on 105.5 now has RDS SBSRadio text.

3 Likes

The SBS Canberra RDS on the Sony received around 150km away from the transmitter.

5 Likes

Good work on the RDS changes @RFBurns !

9 Likes

Everyone’s a winner indeed.

3 Likes

Thanks, still a work in progress.

2 Likes

A subtle RDS change to Northside Radio 99.3 (2NSB).
They’ve now added Clock Time (CT) grp 4A & it’s accurate too!

Something’s happened to their RT though. For past year or so
the RT toggled between two static messages every 10 minutes or
so. Now looks to be stuck on the message below.
Can’t find that RT program on the station’s website.
And re their website; it’s nice to see that the station finally has a proper grid program guide :slight_smile:

https://northsideradio.com.au/program-guide/

3 Likes

We’ve had discussion in the past of the very low level RDS on Triple J Sunshine Coast and how hard it is to decode even near the transmitter. But for some reason just managing to decode tonight from Brisbane.

RDS Spy has some trouble but also managed occasionally

6 Likes

Well done! I would be both curious & interested to see the MPX spectrum, too see just how low the RDS 57kHz subcarrier is. Might be Australia’s lowest RDS subcarrier :slight_smile:

Triple J RDS subcarrier is still low level in Sydney. Took 5 minutes to decode the RT one day whilst mobile…

4 Likes

JJJ a few minutes apart

See FM by comparison

4 Likes

Thanks for going to effort with the pics :slight_smile:
Modulation with the current house (Friday House Party) music is covering the tiny subcarrier most of the time, don’t think we’re going to get a silent break with the music atm to get a good look at it, but sure to say the RDS subcarrier is -75dB or lower & not readily recognisable (with the current music) but for sure it’s the lowest I’ve seen & a real effort to decode that under current conditions & music.

4 Likes

Does that mean you need a strong 75dBuV urban grade signal to get a full RDS decode on Triple J Sunshine Coast?