8 Likes

Saw that on 92.1 as well!

4 Likes

Nice!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah its doing it on 100.6 as well

4 Likes

RDS Survey.

Guys I’m working on updates for CoastFM RDS, I know what the local stations run on their RDS, (Local being Sydney, Gosford, Newcastle), & I’ve read a number of articles about RDS from overseas about what you should & shouldn’t put on RDS (some of the should not’s are actually used by some locals).

What I’m interested to know is what information you’d like to see on stations RDS?
I’ve thrown a few suggestions into the ring with station management & they’ve said (for some of them), they find that info on RDS boring.

Current song title & artist is a definite, next & possibly previously played song titles & artists are possible options (like WSFM have).

Would any of these be of interest on RDS, Yes/No:

Station ID’s/Tag lines
Current program or announcer name
News Headlines
Weather, forecast &/or current
Severe Weather warnings &/or alerts
Bushfire warnings &/or alerts
Current road/traffic conditions (not TA traffic announcements or things like SUNA traffic to a GPS navigation system).
Anything else please add?

I generally add a 1 line Christmas message at the end of the year (Merry Christmas & Happy New Year sort of thing), should I bother with this, are listeners interested enough for this type of RDS message?

3 Likes

I think they’re in the minority with their thoughts.

My thoughts & responses below:

Station ID’s/Tag lines: Periodically, perhaps once every 10 minutes or so.
Current program or announcer name: YES
News Headlines: Occasionally & During News
Weather, forecast &/or current: Occasionally
Severe Weather warnings &/or alerts: YES
Bushfire warnings &/or alerts: YES
Current road/traffic conditions (not TA traffic announcements or things like SUNA traffic to a GPS navigation system). : For Road Closures & during Drivetime

I know previously mentioned, but I find RDS RT updates less than say every 25-30 seconds distracting & longer RDS RT messages need time to display during poor reception zones/periods etc.

BTW Do you know anyone at Today’s Country 94.1? They need to find a unique PI code. It conflicts with station on same frequency in Illawara. Neither station bothered to change.

2 Likes

92.9 ABC Classic FM Sydney is displaying an odd RDS RT message at the moment.

‘Pejaend Brunch with Danielle McGrane’

What’s “Pajaend”?

Looks like a Hindi/Indian language word.

Meant to be “Weekend Brunch” - lol

1 Like

Thanks for the opportunity to provide input!

For me

Song info
Tag lines
Program/Announcer info eg. “Drive with …”
Weather info.

2 Likes

I’m of the same thoughts to be honest, & yes I’m trying to have the times (especially the song title/artist info) extended to longer than 30 seconds display, before changing to something else.
The tech manager (not a qualified tech, just elected as tech manager to the management committee), wants song title set at 20 seconds & other RT things at 10 seconds, so were at loggerheads with that at the moment.

Yeah, I’ll have a chat to someone about that & try to get them to change it.

5 Likes

Triple J’s RDS appears to be broken (again)

2 Likes

Newcastle LPON 87.6 now has RDS

And on 93.3 FM … The zero in 50Plus is now the letter O… so now 5OPlus.

Something only MediaSpy types would notice!

5 Likes

It certainly is!
Sydney 105.7 RDS RT stuck displaying:
Maggie Rogers - 'Alaska Live at Splendour In The Grass 2017 ’

That’s not all I notice either.
Looking with the SDR at their MPX spectrum:
‘triple j’ have dramatically reduced their 57kHz RDS subcarrier carrier level down to a ridiculous level, lower than just about any other RDS FM broadcaster I’ve witnessed in Australia.
I was wondering why during loud music I was getting a high RDS BER.
My BER for them is usually zero.
Not good for RDS decodes.

‘triple j’ DAB+ RT is however okay in Sydney.

3 Likes

I cannot decode RDS on the work truck radio at the present time for Triple J Sydney, it is normally not a problem.

Will try the stereo with the dx setup.

3 Likes

I’m not surprised with the low RDS injection level, which continues.

I note this morning that their RDS RT (Radio Text with song info etc) has been restored. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just tried Triple J on the hifi with the dx setup.
Full RDS decode with scrolling text, but I receive the Sydney fm’s at massive signal levels.

3 Likes

Well I’ll be buttered on both sides

PI code issue FIXED!

5 Likes

You contacted them?

2 Likes

No!

It was ironic, I know you mentioned that they should fix it only a couple of days ago in this post here…

Yes that’s correct.
Highly likely someone reading our posts in this forum sparked some activity with the station. Thank you to that person. :clap: :innocent:

2 Likes

Issue has been fixed for awhile, I fixed the issue months ago
Unless someone screwed around broke it and has since fixed it again it should has been fixed the whole time

3 Likes