Radio Data System (RDS)

Yes, we’re doing prep changes to the web stream (changing host providers soon), also changing inputs & outputs from the audio processor from analogue to AoIP & a few things have been mucked up, which has affected the RDS encoding, I might have to turn off RDS until I get it sorted, it’s still running at the moment but is corrupted.

My Mod monitoring is also showing the signal is way over deviating, there’s no stereo pilot & no RDS sub carriers, even though all are still being generated.

When we get it all sorted (in a few weeks hopefully) we’ll have RT+ with song title & artist on the RDS & web stream too.

3 Likes

Finally, in what must be well over 12 months, 2SBS Sydney 97.7 have finally resolved their ‘stuck’ RDS RT issue & implemented some other improvements.

PI code has been changed to standardized 297C & implemented PTYN feature.
PTYN shows as: Culture
PTY changed to: Cultures (Code 7)
Changed RT messages.
Unfortunately they still have CT issues.

Also noted that their RDS injection level (RDS subcarrier) has been reduced a little.

3 Likes

I’ve noted that they are now using alternating text for the station name - switches between SBS and Radio same as Melbourne (previously it was SBSRadio as static text, which i preferred).

1 Like

I’ve been away past 7 hours. Was static PS when I left & static now.
Perhaps a tech was experimenting early this afternoon with Dynamic PS as you describe at the time of your post?
I’ll keep an eye on it.

1 Like

It was yesterday when I saw the Dynamic PS, so maybe they’ve changed it back, which is good.

1 Like

104.5 Star FM Central Coast have made some recent changes to their RDS output.

Summary:

1. Removed PTYN of STAR1045, but the group 10A codes still being output…
  2. TP flag removed
  3. Group 4A code for CT removed

2 Likes

Managed to procure 93.3 Radio 50 Plus’s PI code thanks to some aircraft scatter.

2SNR-PI-CodeJ

4 Likes

Cannot get a decode on Radio 50+ or Rhema CC at my location, even if I leave the tuner on overnight. Will have to wait to spring for some tropo.

1 Like

I have the “Enable Super PI detector” checked on RDS Spy, it helps to snatch a PI code, even when all Group Codes are corrupted. I couldn’t decode any Group Codes so there was no chance of gaining any further RDS info.
I think it was a combo of sunrise signal enhancement & aircraft scatter that enabled the PI code detection. Radio 50+'s RDS carrier might also be on the low level side.

Yeah probably we need to wait for return of Spring/Summer tropo on the coast to decode it properly. Might be a slight tropo enhancement tomorrow evening…

1 Like

RDS has been installed at 2BBB Bellingen. As per the pics, it hasn’t been set up properly as yet. It’s only on the 107.3 transmission, not the 93.3 transmission.

6 Likes

That’s great news, hopefully 93.3 will be added down the track, 107.3’s coverage isn’t as good as 93.3.

1 Like

107.3 only exists, more or less, to feed the Dorrigo translator off air. I’m not sure of any other setups where the translator is more powerful than the main service.

1 Like

Would it not be possible to feed the RDS from 107.3 to 93.3 immediately? The XL-FM translators do this.

Noted that 96.9 Nova now using RT+
Not sure how long this has been the case.

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance, what is the difference between RT and RT+?

RT+ (Radiotext Plus) uses the RT data, usually the SONG TITLE & ARTIST info & displays that info with additional labels on receivers/car tuners that have that option/feature to display this info, on separate lines /fields on the tuner display. It’s also usually something that has to be set in the users tuner settings. It’s usually enabled with RDS group data codes 3A & 11A or 12A - (typically) by the station.
RT info either comes from Group 2A (or 2B)

I’m sure if you look back in this forum you’ll see tuner display examples of these from others posts. Here’s a RDS Spy sample capture.

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

4 Likes

Currently on the Central Coast so can now provide the full RDS details for Radio 50+
Location near Erina.

RDS- 50 Plus
PTY - Easy Listening
Radio Text - Five 0 Plus, no artist or song title.

5 Likes

CADA 96.1 Blue Mts - now providing a dynamic RT output which now includes
current & just played song title / artist info.

Great that they’ve finally implemented this with their RDS.

5 Likes

Finally! It’s been a mystery to me as to why they’ve never had song info before, given the size of the market they serve.

4 Likes