Radio Data System (RDS)

Yes Tumut 107.9 is full RDS with song text and proper FM processing ~10sec behind the AM signal. I think 100.7 Gundagai is actually fed offair from Tumut now. It was dodgy mono webstream as recently as late 2019. Hitfm Tumut on 103.1 must be fed offair from 93.1 as it’s noisy.

Hit/Triple M relays from Tumut are pretty much gone by Gundagai but would be received on a high hill. You wouldn’t hear much anywhere on the Hume.

3 Likes

When did this relay begin? I can’t recall hearing it, …but I note it’s only 20 Watts.

It’s been on for a LONG time… possibly since early/mid 00s.

1 Like

I think Tumut 107.9 has been on since the early 90s or even the very late 80s. My Cooma correspondent has a 2WG sticker from that vintage which mentions 107.9 Tumut. 103.1 is more recent but yes it has been on for quite a while. It may have to move should 103.1 ever be allocated to Canberra for an FM conversion.

100.7 Gundagai is again a more recent addition. There has never been an FM93/Star/(s)hit relay there.

3 Likes

Probably close enough to Wheel Of Fortune Trig for it to not be needed?

Could probably put a TX on Family Feud Trig if required :smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, 93.1 is fine in and around Gundagai from memory, despite the range of hills to the west of town. 2AAA does have a repeater there though which is on 99.1.

I believe WOF Trig is on the range NE of Wagga so in the direction of Gundagai.

2 Likes

Did a band scan on my Sangean RDS radio whilst here in Surfers Paradise, and there were a couple of things that surprised me.

One was that neither of Brisbane’s 2 oldest community FM stations still don’t have RDS, being 4ZZZ and 4MBS.

I could only get scratchy reception of Sunshine Coast stations, the only one that came in well enough to get RDS was Salt106.5. The commercials battled against some splatter from the Gold Coast stations, which made their RDS too hard to get.

1 Like

One is asleep and the other thinks RDS is for more BS (on the transmission).

1 Like

4ZZZ has had RDS in the past.

4 Likes

Only Because they were paid to transmit traffic data.

2 Likes

RT is now “Five O Plus”:

4 Likes

It seems that Five O Plus is dominant in most of Sydney ( over 2RPH Wollongong). I’m guessing the exceptions would be on south facing slopes and throughout the SE beaches (Coogee to La Perouse).

5 Likes

I’ve had it sneak through the defences of 50Plus up here in Newcastle during tropo.

Radio Five O Plus dominates in NW Sydney too, only in tropo does it create CCI. With the new mounting of my fm omni antenna. There is no CCI to Radio Five O Plus.

2 Likes

I only get RPH here as Five O Plus (2SNR) is vertical.

2 Likes

Also noted this recently during my travels.
Interestingly the text is proceeded by several space characters to push
the ‘Five O Plus’ over to the right hand side of modern car radio display screens, looks okay, but rare to see formatted like this.
I assume this is intentional?

A tad closer to home 89.9 Hawkesbury Radio’s RDS has been AWL during the past two
24 hour sessions.

LATE EDIT: Fbi 94.5 now have some RDS issues. They have lost their PS & PTY data. Annoying when the PS is lost… PI code of 5001 remains.

2 Likes

I was on the Central Coast yesterday. Some observations:

2RE 88.9’s RT has changed from “2RE FM Across the Manning Valley” (according to Google Sheets) to “2RE FM Across the Mid Coast”.

“2HD-FM” on 90.5 MHz has changed to “2HD FM” (no hyphen):

And Port Stephens FM had a static name - “PSFM1009”:

4 Likes

Good pick ups!
I hadn’t noticed/realised about the hyphen going in 2HD FM and it’s only 5 km from me!

The PSFM1009 text has been like that for a little while now - much better than it used to be.

3 Likes

Changed this months ago before I departed the 4AK building

4 Likes

Coast FM Gosford didn’t have any RDS this morning. I imagine @RFBurns will know and be all over it as usual.

1 Like