Radio Data System (RDS)

Only during slight enhancements or in particular spots of Bowral.

4 Likes

I can hear MMM/2GO with RDS quite frequently from here as well, and I’m south of Goulburn…

3 Likes

WSFMs RDS has been a few issues lately with song info being “stuck” on a song.

During Easter, it was stuck on “Ain’t Nobody - Chaka Khan” for over a day.

Now it’s stuck on “Black Velvet - Alannah Myles”.

2 Likes

Maybe they’re hoping for a Mississippi style dry spell in Sydney?

Would have been better if it was stuck on ‘I Feel For You’ by Chaka-chaka-chaka-chaka Khan.

2 Likes

Logan’s 101FM was showing RDS for the first time this evening. PS is (generally) ‘101FM’ with an Easy Music genre.

Unfortunately they already appear to have been suckered into the dynamic PS, although they let the station name linger longer than most. Some examples witnessed tonight include:
101FM (lingers for about 10-20 seconds, then)
Easy
hits
at night

and

101FM
News on
the hour

Still, would highly recommend they just leave the ‘101FM’ title locked and let the RadioText do the talking.

6 Likes

PS also showing “Morning Show”.

Radiotext is constantly Logan City’s #1 Station

3 Likes

Also noted no RDS on hit 89.1 Kingaroy.

2 Likes

Shouldnt that say Logan City’s Only Radio Station

4 Likes

Possibly technically on a per licence basis, but Breeze 92.1 identifies as Logan.

1 Like

Technically in terms of ACMA licence areas only the Brisbane wide commercial/community stations are licensed to serve all of Logan City. 101 FM is a community station licenced to serve most of it, while the Breeze 92.1 & Rebel 90.5 commercials target Logan and are licenced to serve part of it. In practice the coverage of 101.1, 92.1 & 90.5 are heard across nearly all of Logan City.

To say the least, it’s audacious for 101 FM to claim they are Logan City’s #1 station when competing against the Brisbane AM/FM commercials, ABC, Breeze & Rebel. I don’t recall seeing a credible survey that backs that claim.

4 Likes

Per @TV.Cynic recent detailed RDS info re 101FM, it appears that their PTY changes to reflect program type & music genres broadcast at the time.

DI changed from 0 to 1 since earlier posting.
Also the station might be broadcasting CT as I noted group 4A output on RDS stream, but reception was poor at the time. @TV.Cynic may like to confirm Clock Time?

2 Likes

Yes, confirming this has been the case since commissioning RDS on 101.

Will check the clock time, I don’t bother with RDS CT when there’s DAB+ signal as that has to be reliable for the broadcast infrastructure of OCRs etc.

2 Likes

Crookwell 106.1 now with RDS:

Eagle 103.7 also has it, but didn’t decode in this spot.

5 Likes

Good to see! How far did you have go out of Bungendore to get that?

Even better would be localised RDS like XLFM does eg. XLFM92.5 at Bombala, so could have been GNFM1061

2 Likes

Coverage is still rather poor on the car radio. I had to go to Pejar Dam- exactly half way between Goulburn and Crookwell- before it would decode (did not go via Gunning as the road is in poor condition).

103.7 is just the standard ‘Eagle FM’ too.

3 Likes

Wasn’t in good condition in 2017 or 2019. Would hate to see it now.

1 Like

Same here in 2020 and 2021. If i go there on my way back from VIC I think I will go via Goulburn too.

I remembered to get a couple of snaps of the RDS available in Tamworth (at least according to my current car)

5 Likes

Thanks, I wonder if 96.3 is still 96.3 QDI

Some Melbourne RDS changes & recent observances:-

91.5 Smooth FM changed their PTY from None to Pop Music

103.5 3MBS changed their PTY from Serious Classics to Light Classics
They are also using their Dynamic PS to promote their current Radiothon…just horrible.
The station still has their Clock Time (CT) set for Daylight Saving Time…
3MBS_20220522P1

102.7 3RRR: The station still has their (CT) set for Daylight Saving Time…

105.1 3MMM: Noted an odd RT message referring to Gold Cost listeners, not Melbourne at 9:43:19
3MMM_RDS20220522P3

CT is somewhat inaccurate too. Probably at SUNA traffic PC issue rather than SCA issue, but still, could or should be more accurate…

3MMM_RDS20220522P2

4 Likes